Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hi all, have searched the forum but the thread and post dates seem really old.

Wanting to check if Amazon FireTV is now working with Echo Dot for our region yet?

I havn't been overly pushed into getting any of the smart devices, as I don't really intend to go down the route of lights and the likes. But I am currently rethinking my HTPC setup with for a long number of years has been a PC connected to the Tv. Thinking of moving to a FireTV Stick, since we predominantly use Kodi and Nextflix and I might move to a 100% streaming setup and away from downloading to local hard disks.

Does the Echo actually work with the FiretV here yet? I've seen youtube videos of people controlling Kodi via an Echo and it looks pretty handy and interesting.

Also noticed the OP says you can't buy an Echo Dot locally in Ireland. Currys have them advertised on their website

http://www.currys.ie/Product/amazon-echo-dot-white/340591/403.3.0

plan to buy one here since I have a voucher. Assume it will all work fine or is this all still done through using UK and Us accounts for Amazon

*So typical, read a few posts up and someone has said it just started working for them. Interesting.

Picked up my dot and installed it there and messing around pretty impressive so far.

My account is an Irish addressed account and I notice that a lot of questions I’m asking Alexa responds about not available in my language.

Asking it the weather it keeps throwing back some place called west lake. Have all my settings and stuff correct.

Has it fully transitioned in Ireland yet or should I be looking to use some American account or something.

Just messing around I asked it “what Manchester United players are playing international friendlies tonight” and she told me 21 players started to list them and just stopped throwing back that “not available in your language “

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

TheDoc wrote: »
    Picked up my dot and installed it there and messing around pretty impressive so far.

My account is an Irish addressed account and I notice that a lot of questions I’m asking Alexa responds about not available in my language.

Asking it the weather it keeps throwing back some place called west lake. Have all my settings and stuff correct.

Has it fully transitioned in Ireland yet or should I be looking to use some American account or something.

Just messing around I asked it “what Manchester United players are playing international friendlies tonight” and she told me 21 players started to list them and just stopped throwing back that “not available in your language “

There’s definitely something up. Both of my dots and Echo work fine.

In the Alexa app, go to settings and then go into your device. There you can input your address, language, region etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

as above pointed check alexa app has your country address right, also worth checking is your amazon account also has same address.

the issues you speak of sounds like it has address or location (country put down as wrong make sure its not isreal or smth :D )

Yeah ok now. I found another section in the settings to enter this stuff. Not sure what other screen I was on that looked similar asking for address

• Advertisement

I spotted some posts here with people indicating they successfully connected their fire tv to echo?

Can’t seem to get this working. Asking Alexa it responds with no devices found and using the app it can’t find anything

I’ve two fire sticks on my amazon account but only one in this actual house.

Any ideas ? Googling returns pretty straight forward steps that aren’t working for me. Is this more of this messing in terms of it being available in other countries and not here yet or something ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I spotted some posts here with people indicating they successfully connected their fire tv to echo?

Can’t seem to get this working. Asking Alexa it responds with no devices found and using the app it can’t find anything

I’ve two fire sticks on my amazon account but only one in this actual house.

Any ideas ? Googling returns pretty straight forward steps that aren’t working for me. Is this more of this messing in terms of it being available in other countries and not here yet or something ?

Is the firestick on the same wifi network as the echo? Mine works but doesnt show up in app as a connected device....and you have to say firetv rather than firestick in the command

368100 wrote: »
    Is the firestick on the same wifi network as the echo? Mine works but doesnt show up in app as a connected device....and you have to say firetv rather than firestick in the command

Yeah same WiFi network.

Alexa started to tell me now there is multiple firetvs on my account and I need to select one through the app. But the app doesn’t show any

Yeah same WiFi network.

Alexa started to tell me now there is multiple firetvs on my account and I need to select one through the app. But the app doesn’t show any

www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202174250

Have you music video and books in your app? Mine only has music and books but i might have an older version

368100 wrote: »
    www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202174250

Have you music video and books in your app? Mine only has music and books but i might have an older version

Yeah mine also just says music and books. There is a drop down at the top where I can select my dot or the two firetvs, as to do what it’s not really clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone having trouble with Harmony Skill. Mine went bonkers so I offloaded it and now cant reload due to Geographical restrictions .

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

viperlogic wrote: »
    No need for UK cc like a revolut etc. You can use what ever amazon account eg a .co.uk or .com. I use .co.uk. Sign into your account and go "your account" -> "Digital content and devices" -> "Content and devices" -> "Settings" tab -> "Country Settings" -> change to UK :)

OK , Thanks to your post I managed to get harmony back . Only problem is that its only showing me US skills ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

any recipe skills for ireland? tried a few they dont seem to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Anyone having an issue with 2FM on Tunein? Alexa states that the station cannot be found? Any other radio station is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Anyone having an issue with 2FM on Tunein? Alexa states that the station cannot be found? Any other radio station is fine.

I think Alexa is just trying to be nice and save you the torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Doodah7 wrote: »

Worked for me yesterday when I asked for “RTE 2FM”.

Anybody have a problem where you have to call alexa twice? Ive just changed from an echo dot to a gen 2 echo and cant remember having the same problem.

I call alexa and the ring lights blue for a second but then it stops listening and i have to call alexa again, always works on second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

No issues here on the gen 2 echo except she seems not to be able to make out what I say as clearly. Often completely misunderstands. I suspect it's my placement but never had a problem with the gen 1 echo dot.

Also, while the echo is clearly miles better for music, I think the dot was far better for speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

is it possible for alexa to play music from spotify or amazon music when you are away from home? like music starts playing at a scheduled time or remotely switching on music via the app when away from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭boccy23

is it possible for alexa to play music from spotify or amazon music when you are away from home? like music starts playing at a scheduled time or remotely switching on music via the app when away from home?

You can start it via the App.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Launch spotify, select what you want to play. There should be an option for 'devices available'. Select the device.
    qck3Cjw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Is the Google hack still working for anybody? Alexa plays dumb when I do a 'ask Google' simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Guys,

We have all been loving Alexa in our home - 3 Dots & one Echo.

For the past two weeks we have been having problems with Spotify on all devices.

For example we used to be able to say "Alexa play 80's music" or "Alexa shuffle 80's music" & all would be good.

Now wits same requests - the response is "i Couldn't find any 80's songs"

??? Any Suggestions

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

tanka006 wrote: »
    Guys,

We have all been loving Alexa in our home - 3 Dots & one Echo.

For the past two weeks we have been having problems with Spotify on all devices.

For example we used to be able to say "Alexa play 80's music" or "Alexa shuffle 80's music" & all would be good.

Now wits same requests - the response is "i Couldn't find any 80's songs"

??? Any Suggestions

Thanks

The first thing I would try is to see if Spotify is still your default music service within the settings,secondly just to test it ask "play 80s music from Spotify"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭tanka006

Hi clintondaly,

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have just checked & Spotify is the default player.

When i say "play 80s music from Spotify" - Answer is "I couldnt find any 80's music on Spotify"

Its a strange one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So my traffic has stopped working.
    It was working prefect with my correct address, and now it does not recognise my address anymore (In the midlands)
    Anybody else have this happen ?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    So my traffic has stopped working.
    It was working prefect with my correct address, and now it does not recognise my address anymore (In the midlands)
    Anybody else have this happen ?

just tested by asking to tell hows traffic to Dublin and got proper response time,route to take etc, didn't knew about the skill :) well not much use really but works fine, did you try to ask alexa whats your location - should point out where abouts your geographically, thou it wont give me my correct address and says function not supported, not sure it was before but points to town and where im located in perspective to it.

scamalert wrote: »
    just tested by asking to tell hows traffic to Dublin and got proper response time,route to take etc, didn't knew about the skill :) well not much use really but works fine, did you try to ask alexa whats your location - should point out where abouts your geographically, thou it wont give me my correct address and says function not supported, not sure it was before but points to town and where im located in perspective to it.
    Yep. Was same for me in that it gave the correct route from my address but then it just stopped and said my commute is not set up

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Yep. Was same for me in that it gave the correct route from my address but then it just stopped and said my commute is not set up
    my usual response is look up app if theres any updates and do soft reset on alexa itself, if you haven't done it yet.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    my usual response is look up app if theres any updates and do soft reset on alexa itself, if you haven't done it yet.
    App is up to date.
    I get the same response on the app when I use Alexa on it, so it's not the dot device

Advertisement