Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search but didn't find anything on this thread and on the web. I got a package by UPS this morning with a box with a bracket for 'Easyclip' 360 mount for Amazon Dot. It says I just have to logon to ROS123.delivermydot.com to claim my free Dot. Anyone had one of these, what is it ? I didn't log on because I am afraid it is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Anyone having an issue with 2FM on Tunein? Alexa states that the station cannot be found? Any other radio station is fine.

This is happening with us now. It used to work fine but now if you ask for 2FM or 98FM it says it cannot be found. So I go into the app and launch it manually - I then ask Alexa what radio station is playing, she says "RTE 2FM" which is exactly what I asked for...it's very frustrating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    This is happening with us now. It used to work fine but now if you ask for 2FM or 98FM it says it cannot be found. So I go into the app and launch it manually - I then ask Alexa what radio station is playing, she says "RTE 2FM" which is exactly what I asked for...it's very frustrating :mad:

I asked Twitter the same thing:

@amazonecho Alexa can't find radio station named @RTE2fm?

@AmazonHelp Replying to @[ME]
    Him sorry to hear about this situation. Alexa's native radio player "TuneIn" does currently have RTÉ 2FM available. However, based in Ireland myself I know that there are a few skills that do support RTÉ Stations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

@AmazonHelp Replying to @[ME]
    Him sorry to hear about this situation. Alexa's native radio player "TuneIn" does currently have RTÉ 2FM available. However, based in Ireland myself I know that there are a few skills that do support RTÉ Stations

Hmmmmm...
    https://tunein.com/radio/RT-2fm-907-s15065/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Why dont you use IrishRadioPlayer skill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

ROS123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search but didn't find anything on this thread and on the web. I got a package by UPS this morning with a box with a bracket for 'Easyclip' 360 mount for Amazon Dot. It says I just have to logon to ROS123.delivermydot.com to claim my free Dot. Anyone had one of these, what is it ? I didn't log on because I am afraid it is a scam.

Sounds like a scam

degsie wrote: »
    Why dont you use IrishRadioPlayer skill?

Will give it a shot, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes 2fm still won’t play on Tunein. However I have the Irish Radioplayer skill enabled and I can simply say ‘Alexa, ask Irish Radioplayer to play 2fm’ and it works fine! You don’t need to say the RTE bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Yes 2fm still won’t play on Tunein. However I have the Irish Radioplayer skill enabled and I can simply say ‘Alexa, ask Irish Radioplayer to play 2fm’ and it works fine! You don’t need to say the RTE bit.

I've been trying to find the Irish radioplayer. Alexa can't find the skill and it doesn't seem to be in the skill section anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still can’t get my FireTV to connect... Just can’t find any info on it. Nothing in the app or from Alex itself

Have to say I’m pretty glad I paid only a few euro for this dot thanks to a voucher. It’s been generally entirely underwhelming , not overly helpful and to be brutally honest entirely useless.

Can see maybe it’s useful for people wanting to get that full house automation going on. But definitely not what I thought it would be in terms of just a general QA device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Nolimits wrote: »
    I've been trying to find the Irish radioplayer. Alexa can't find the skill and it doesn't seem to be in the skill section anymore.

"Alexa, enable Irish Radioplayer"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

create your own alexa skills

you have to change the voice to English US in the settings, but I'm still not sure if this is available to irish customers. I've been able to sign in on my phone, but having difficulty getting on to the site this morning....haven't had a chance yet to actually create and test if it works or not...

edit : wired article

antodeco wrote: »
    "Alexa, enable Irish Radioplayer"

Alexa says she can't find that skill, when you look for it on the app it doesn't exist anymore either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Nolimits wrote: »
    Alexa says she can't find that skill, when you look for it on the app it doesn't exist anymore either

Just checked. It's still there.

givecredit wrote: »
    Just checked. It's still there.

It appears that the problem was I had my country set to the US. When I changed that it was there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

How do I get Alexa to play a Swedish radio station from TuneIn Radio? No matter what way I pronounce the station's name, poor Alexa doesn't quiet get it. Is there a work-around? Thanks

wait4me wrote: »
    How do I get Alexa to play a Swedish radio station from TuneIn Radio? No matter what way I pronounce the station's name, poor Alexa doesn't quiet get it. Is there a work-around? Thanks

You can load it from Tunein through the Alexa app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

Thanks - when I try to "browse TuneIn" on the App it says "App support Unavailable". I must be doing something wrong.
    Edit - Got it! TuneIn was being directed to a Fire rather than to my Echo.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Does Alexa for Sonos One work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

wait4me wrote: »
    Thanks - when I try to "browse TuneIn" on the App it says "App support Unavailable". I must be doing something wrong.

If I pick "browse tunein" from the home screen where my recent activity is, it doesn't work.

But if I go Menu > music&books > tunein it works fine.

If Alexa was even the slightest bit Smart she'd learn what stations you frequently listen to, but unfortunately no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi all - I just created a skill that someone may be interested in - it's called "Unofficial AA Roadwatch Ireland" (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CN59K8M/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1524749205&sr=1-2&keywords=road+watch)

You basically ask for problems in a county and it will pull all incidents from AA Roadwatch and read them for you.
    You invoke it as follows: "Alexa, ask road watch for problems in Kildare" (Or any county in Ireland)

I live 100Km from work, so I do a fair bit of driving. The built in traffic only give updates from home to work in a single direction, and I would often check AA Roaadwatch for incidents so I decided to create this skill.
    I've got a dot in my car - it connects to my in car entertainment via Bluetooth, and I use the hotspot on my phone for the network. It's great for Audible and spotify while driving, so this skill is quite handy to check traffic while driving.

Beware - if you ask for Dublin there's usually a LOT of incidents.

If people find it useful I could try and refine it more based on suggestions (and if I have time !!)

Anyhow - just though someone may be interested !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pugzilla wrote: »

Not yet.

I’ve a Sonos system and seperate Dots. I get them to control my Sonos system instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OSI wrote: »

It does indeed. I've 2 Sonos Ones in the house working reasonably well now after 6 months of software updates.

Ooh how did you get it to work? Did you set up a U.K. account?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

How do people rate the Echo's sound quality for music?
    Read some reviews stating that it's horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

It does indeed. I've 2 Sonos Ones in the house working reasonably well now after 6 months of software updates.

Any chance you have Sonos connect amps and using Sonos skill? Have a spot on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I have one and I think the sound quality is excellent. I'm thinking of getting a second one for upstairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

its only ok.
    you're probably paying about £50 for the speaker and the sound is loud and fairly good for that price.

But it doesn't compare to anything decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

my dot yesterday lit up like it was called, and continued for few minutes, thought maybe because of tv etc, and tried to shut off mic, but didnt work afterwards came back to normal, wonder did amazon push out some new firmware update, as never seen it behave like that before as it wasnt flashing as in setup but more of listening light, no response to commands either but took about 2-3 mins.
    donegal. wrote: »
    its only ok.
    you're probably paying about £50 for the speaker and the sound is loud and fairly good for that price.

But it doesn't compare to anything decent.

would completely disagree with that statement speaker is really powerfull and sound is clear, for a room 4x4sm its like having pc speakers on loud, it wont shake the house and wont do deep bass but think people overestimate sound comparing what size dot is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AutomateMyCrap

The Echo Dot sound quality is only marginally better than that of a mobile phone, in my opinion. The full size Echo is close to other portable speakers in it's class, such as Ultimate Ears Boom etc.
    I prefer using the Echo Dots in conjunction with hifi stereo systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The new announcements skill is very good if you have a few echos around the house. Great for announcing dinner, bed time etc.

Advertisement