Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman 'Staff Price Sale'

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

gerryfed wrote: »
    Haha to be honest, I have it two days and the only thing I've downloaded is Chrome... and it is outrageously slow for just browsing the internet :( Planning on bringing it back this weekend and seeing can I get a refund!

My 6 year old, disease riddled laptop was 5 times faster!

:D well that was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Skerries wrote: »
    never skimp on laptops!

I would say check reviews in the price range you can afford. Never skimp could be taken up as meaning you should have to pay a bit for a decent one. But there will always be overpriced crap on sale. But having a low set price can be a false economy which is most probably what you are getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

exactly, always do your homework
    yeah it beggars belief what shops will sell you for a premium price with shítty specs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

exactly, always do your homework
    yeah it beggars belief what shops will sell you for a premium price with shítty specs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Trampas

Earlier this year I went in to check on a price of a surface pro. There was an offer on with both ms and Harvey Norman.

The price was same price as on the ms store. Ask what was the best price. He goes I can't take anything off it but I can take a €10 off the keyboard. I just said I can buy it off ms for that price also.

The reply back was we set the price and ms follow. I just walked away with that comment. Ended up getting it cheaper through ms uk site.

Spending €1500 and offered €10 off. Rather nothing than that as I think it's just insulting to offer such a miserable amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

Yeah I'm quite tech challenged sadly :P

Going to bring it back this weekend, and throw an extra 100-200 towards something better hopefully.

Any laptops in the below range jump out as a great option? Mostly just need it for everyday use, won't be doing much, if any, gaming!

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/?subcats=Y&features_hash=P400-500-EUR

Going to bring it back this weekend, and throw an extra 100-200 towards something better hopefully.

Any laptops in the below range jump out as a great option? Mostly just need it for everyday use, won't be doing much, if any, gaming!

http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/laptops/?subcats=Y&features_hash=P400-500-EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Avoid anything with an Intel Celeron processor. Look for a Core i5 if possible
    8GB RAM
    256GB hard disk (SSD preferred)
    Highest resolution you can get for your budget (Full HD 1920x1080 if possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't pay to much extra for something with an SSD you can fit one easily yourself after wards, as Keiser said, screen, ram, processor and if your after something capable of playing grand theft auto skip harvey norman altogether.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Look for a Core i5 if possible

That won't be cheap.

• Advertisement

That won't be cheap.

Yeah i5 seems out of my price range, but there is some i3's...

I honestly use it for just every day f*ckery... Shocked that this ASUS is so bad!!

And alot of people are mentioning a 256gb SSD drive but that doesn't seem to be an option in any laptop in my price range, they all have 1tb.

Sucks being confined to Harvey Norman too aarrghh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

They saw my sister-in-law coming....
    She asked for a laptop for her teenage son for games and the like.

They sold her one with 2gb of ram, a 32Gb SSD drive then told her she NEEDED the office 365 subscription with McAfee security for an extra €79.... luckily she hasn't unboxed it yet.
    I told her to go back for a refund as it's unfit for purpose.

A 32Gb SSD drive?? Sure my phone has 3Gb of ram, and windows 10 and bloatware probably takes up at least 10Gb when you include the swap space.

Absolutely shocking mis-selling of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

They saw my sister-in-law coming....
    She asked for a laptop for her teenage son for games and the like.

They sold her one with 2gb of ram, a 32Gb SSD drive then told her she NEEDED the office 365 subscription with McAfee security for an extra €79.... luckily she hasn't unboxed it yet.
    I told her to go back for a refund as it's unfit for purpose.

A 32Gb SSD drive?? Sure my phone has 3Gb of ram, and windows 10 and bloatware probably takes up at least 10Gb when you include the swap space.

Absolutely shocking mis-selling of rubbish.

Sounds more like a chromebook perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah i5 seems out of my price range, but there is some i3's...

I honestly use it for just every day f*ckery... Shocked that this ASUS is so bad!!

And alot of people are mentioning a 256gb SSD drive but that doesn't seem to be an option in any laptop in my price range, they all have 1tb.

Sucks being confined to Harvey Norman too aarrghh!

Sounds like you'll be grand with an i3, and a hard drive as i doubt too many cheap laptops in HN will have an SSD. You can buy an SSD from amazon if you want to, they're pretty cheap these days and always getting cheaper (I would recommend it, they make a big difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They saw my sister-in-law coming.... She asked for a laptop for her teenage son for games and the like.

That's really bad, but this is what occurs a lot with predatory capitalism. The system is based on the amount of sales, and the outcome is not a concern to the seller. They probably made more by selling more of those particular products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They sold her one with 2gb of ram, a 32Gb SSD drive then told her she NEEDED the office 365 subscription with McAfee security for an extra €79....
    Scumbags with their add-on upselling, they probably sold her extended warranty support crap too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Real bargin alert for Harvey Norman.

Go to Harvey Norman and get the product code for 3 or 4 items you are interested in. Say its a TV, pick 3 that you would like. Then check the price of them on pricespy.ie and find them somewhere cheaper and show it to them and they will price match. Saved 150 euro on A rated dryer this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

rom wrote: »

Go to Harvey Norman and get the product code for 3 or 4 items you are interested in. Say its a TV, pick 3 that you would like. Then check the price of them on pricespy.ie and find them somewhere cheaper and show it to them and they will price match. Saved 150 euro on A rated dryer this way.

Why would you buy the tv from HN this way though? I would just go to the retailer on pricespy who offered the lowest price. Reward them for having the lowest price with my custom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the same "discount" as the other 364 days of the year
    So there's a chance of a special discount on one special day ?

This being a leap year.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I would just go to the retailer on pricespy who offered the lowest price. Reward them for having the lowest price with my custom.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That's really bad, but this is what occurs a lot with predatory capitalism. The system is based on the amount of sales, and the outcome is not a concern to the seller. They probably made more by selling more of those particular products

In fairness the sister-in-law brought back the unopened laptop today and told them it was unfit for purpose and that her brother in laws dashboard camera had more storage than that laptop. The manager laughed at that and refunded her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I know Harvey Norman are pricy, but they have a much better selection of home and electrical compared to other places for me. Anyway that's another debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Anyone expecting any big savings on TV's or Laptops is in for a disappointment.

I have a friend who works in the head offices of HN and she gets a cost price discount, even she doesn't bother buying stuff from them because the margins are so small the discount is tiny on those items, it's cheaper to just buy from online retailers.

Brought back the laptop today... f*ckers charged me a '10% restocking fee' because the return wasn't due to a fault. Argued with one staff member, then the manager... explained that I bought it based on their staffs recommendation and it hadn't lived up to what I said I needed and what the staff suggested...

Eventually, he said he 'had' to charge me the restocking fee but would 'get me back' another way... so he knocked 39e off an upgrade laptop. Only have it a couple hours now but it running a lot faster and smoother.

A lot happier now but jeez, they don't half make it hard sometimes! Will stick to pricespy etc from now on, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

rom wrote: »

You didn't save anything.. they were going to rip you off originally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

You didn't save anything.. they were going to rip you off originally.
    My God! Curb Your Enthusiam, Your name says it all. You are one Pessimist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Brought back the laptop today... f*ckers charged me a '10% restocking fee' because the return wasn't due to a fault. Argued with one staff member, then the manager... explained that I bought it based on their staffs recommendation and it hadn't lived up to what I said I needed and what the staff suggested...

Eventually, he said he 'had' to charge me the restocking fee but would 'get me back' another way... so he knocked 39e off an upgrade laptop. Only have it a couple hours now but it running a lot faster and smoother.

A lot happier now but jeez, they don't half make it hard sometimes! Will stick to pricespy etc from now on, cheers :)

So what kind of laptop did you get in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Riva10 wrote: »
    My God! Curb Your Enthusiam, Your name says it all. You are one Pessimist :D

Could be worse. He really could be Larry David :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Seve OB wrote: »
    Could be worse. He really could be Larry David :D
    Worse still He could be Donald Trump. Then he would build a wall around Harley Normal and no one could get in or out. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement