Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman 'Staff Price Sale'

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Also went up.
    Walked in the door, bloke standing there with a clip board, didn't say a word to me going in.
    Big crowd, drinks and biscuits available!
    Good few TV's being bought and some of the biggest queues I've seen in a HN shop in the electrical department.
    Was told there would be "40%" off laptops.
    Didn't see any with 20% off, let alone 40%.
    What they have done is added Office, Internet security, 2 year warranty, set up and totaled all that with the laptop price and then reduced it.
    Didn't buy anything as nothing stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

People really are muppets to fall for this, congrats to HN on a great promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gerryfed

I got a laptop for €299 that they were selling for €350 last week so was happy enough! Norton AntiVirus, Office suite etc was all on sale too. Seemed to be alot of good deals on TVs in general. And seen it was €20 off all gaming consoles.

I didn't do much research though and just had a voucher for Harvey Norman so that's why I went...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Harvey Norman sure knows how to get the punters in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

gerryfed wrote: »
    Norton AntiVirus..

I hope you didn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

gerryfed wrote:
    I didn't do much research though and just had a voucher for Harvey Norman so that's why I went...
    gerryfed wrote:
    I got a laptop for €299 that they were selling for €350 last week so was happy enough! Norton AntiVirus, Office suite etc was all on sale too. Seemed to be alot of good deals on TVs in general. And seen it was €20 off all gaming consoles.

Out of curiosity, what did you get for the €299?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What they have done is added Office, Internet security, 2 year warranty, set up and totaled all that with the laptop price and then reduced it.

surprised they didn't try bundle in a €50 USB cable with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Credit where it's due.

The motherinlaw bought a washing machine there yesterday for €399. I mentioned it to her this evening, she rang them to question it, and they're refunding her the €37 difference tomorrow.

They get bashed enough like....

Senecio wrote: »
    I hope you didn't?

I did not ;)
    A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what did you get for the €299?

http://www.harveynorman.ie/sale/asus-15.6-laptop-x553sa.html

Got that in the end. Just something basic. Don't need it for much and as I said, had 300e voucher for Harvey Norman so was tied to getting something from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

I went to one of these earlier in the year. The Mrs liked a dining room set in there. The weekend before we went in and looked at it, spoke to a sales rep. He actually advised us about the staff sale later that week. Saved two hundred quid in the end so it's not all a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

brevity wrote: »
    on top of me like snakes after a lizard.

Managed to escape but just about.

ahhh that is phucking brilliant. i cant believe thats a saying already! someone please pray for the baby lizards. de dirty shnakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

kceire wrote: »
    Just back. Some stuff on sale, some not worth what they are asking.

Dyson V8 Absolute €494. If looking for one, that's a genuine sale price as I've been researching them for the last month, although cheaper from the north https://donaghybros.co.uk/dyson-v8-absolute-cordless-vacuum-cleaner.html

Dyson hair dryer €379. Usually €399 but can be got for €345 up north.
    Tefal 1.5kg family actifry €199. Think the cheapest currently is €229 anywhere else so a little saving.

Stood there while a staff member told someone that the LG sound bar is usually €175 so a bargain at €73. Nearly got me too until I seen Argos have it for €69!

Also heard a couple arguing with staff about a sofa they wanted to buy. It was 1449 or something last weekend, but tonight's "staff sale" sticker said it was normally €1749!

Well having gone in to buy a couch Saturday and waiting till Wednesday. There was 400 minimum off everything except 1 couch and in some cases 1000. Was quick to think that this was a Harvey scam but they had good prices on couches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

quarryman wrote: »
    Someone's been watching Planet Earth 2 :)
    Snakes after an iguana

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

my only experience with them was when watching a lovely sideboard. Saw it at 349. They then ran one of the usual ads discounting furniture so popped in to see the price had go up to 399. Says it all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I did not ;)

http://www.harveynorman.ie/sale/asus-15.6-laptop-x553sa.html

Got that in the end. Just something basic. Don't need it for much and as I said, had 300e voucher for Harvey Norman so was tied to getting something from there!

That machine is terrible. It'll be grinding to a halt in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mr. Tickle wrote: »
    Ah yes. The famous "up to" discount. I know they all do it but it's bloody annoying.

Espeially with broadband providers, every speed is "up to" but hardly anyone gets what they advertise.

Oh... great to know, cheers :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Curb your Enthusiasm living up to his name

• Registered Users Posts: 20 justluh

Went there yesterday, they were giving not even 10% on the 4k tvs, and the Ad said up to 40%...

disappointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 justluh

Went there yesterday, they were giving not even 10% on the 4k tvs, and the Ad said up to 40%...

disappointed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sounds like you're very very disappointed so.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

Went there with a few specific items in mind.
    a "friendly" staff member quoted them for me (I didn't even bother looking them up in store as I knew all specs from their website).
    They came up 3-10% cheaper vs online, but the funny thing was his quotes were actually MORE EXPENSIVE than then sales price...
    He added around €10 on top of each item --> I only found out later (still before going to the counter though) by viewing each item in store with a sale tag on...
    They adjusted the prices for me at the counter.

The simple advice is NOT TO TRUST THE FLOOR STUFF with their quotes as they want to rip you off at any occasion... they probably get some commission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

greep wrote: »
    Went there with a few specific items in mind.
    a "friendly" staff member quoted them for me (I didn't even bother looking them up in store as I knew all specs from their website).
    They came up 3-10% cheaper vs online, but the funny thing was his quotes were actually MORE EXPENSIVE than then sales price...
    He added around €10 on top of each item --> I only found out later (still before going to the counter though) by viewing each item in store with a sale tag on...
    They adjusted the prices for me at the counter.

The simple advice is NOT TO TRUST THE FLOOR STUFF with their quotes as they want to rip you off at any occasion... they probably get some commission.

But the floor staff only help with queries and stock and you still have to que and pay at a till. Can't see any benefit for the floor staff quoting higher unless genuine mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

It will be fine for basic stuff, and pretty sure it wont grind to a halt!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Many things weren't much reduced. They had a "Hillary" table that was a bit reduced, I was going to suggest that they should have been giving it away.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Many things weren't much reduced. They had a "Hillary" table that was a bit reduced, I was going to suggest that they should have been giving it away.....

Was it crooked or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Was it crooked or something?

It clearly didnt have enough support.

etxp wrote: »
    It will be fine for basic stuff, and pretty sure it wont grind to a halt!

Haha to be honest, I have it two days and the only thing I've downloaded is Chrome... and it is outrageously slow for just browsing the internet :( Planning on bringing it back this weekend and seeing can I get a refund!

My 6 year old, disease riddled laptop was 5 times faster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

never skimp on laptops!

Advertisement