Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman 'Staff Price Sale'

Options
  • 08-11-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Harvey Norman having a staff price sale from 18:30 to 22:00 tomorrow, no price guide. Entry by invite only, seems anyone can register through the link below...

http://www.harveynorman.ie/staff-price-sale-en.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ppppurrrrrrr

Not much of an invite only event if you can invite yourself. More nonsense from Harvey Norman

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

What's the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its just a marketing trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What's the discount?

the same "discount" as the other 364 days of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

is it in all harvey norman branches?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sale. Harvey Norman. I'd be more impressed if they ever didn't have a sale on!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Harvey Norman staff discount sale will reveal that the Harvey Norman staff don't get a staff discount

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Harvey Norman (still better than currys or pc world) lost me mostly when they told me to haggle and told their staff that they are on commission.
    "hi, what is the best price on that telly?"
    "that is the best price"
    "But it is 60euro cheaper in D.I.D."
    "No, that is a different model"
    "Really? it has the same model number and screen size."
    "Yeah, it is a different model and the audio is not as good."
    "Okay, what is the best price you can do on this model?"
    "That really is the best price, we have dropped it as low as it can go."
    "But that is the sticker price, and it says above it that i am to haggle."
    "yes, and it has been haggled down to this price, it is a great price."
    :D:blink:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Akrasia wrote: »
    The Harvey Norman staff discount sale will reveal that the Harvey Norman staff don't get a staff discount

They actually do! Have a friend who works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭ablelocks

it's a recruitment tool. Anyone who registered has to report for work on Monday morning at 9am at their nominated Store. Induction till 9.30am, Health and Safety till 10am. Sales and Technical Training till 10.15am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Got an email there from HN saying up to 70% off sofas, up to 60% off dining tables and up to 50% off bedroom furniture..........

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mr. Tickle

Ah yes. The famous "up to" discount. I know they all do it but it's bloody annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'll need the sthalf price before I'm interested

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

liam7831 wrote: »
    Its just a marketing trick
    yeah, and its pretty good in fairness. I got this forwarded to me from a bank worker in June. Great trick getting bank staff to print out and stick up junk mail.
    Subject: Harvey Norman Staff Price Stock Sale - Company Invite
    Importance: High

Hi all ,

We are having a one day staff price sale and we are inviting our partners to take advantage of this opportunity. . I want to extend this invite to your entire organisation! I've attached a copy of the invite poster.Please feel free to circulate this to your team, post on the company intranet or newsletter or print copies for your canteen or common areas.

As this is an invitation only event, all guests are required to register to attend and the link to register is below.

I look forward to seeing you in store,

Regards,
    Akrasia wrote: »
    They do, and it varies on the items. It's not a set discount, the likes of beds can be dropped a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Went to one recently and there were no bargains.

Some prices were higher than previously.

1399 may become 1464 etc so looks like the price is reduced and they take away the previous prices.

Avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I learned long ago not to bother with their almost permanent sales, tent sales and staff sales, they're nothing but a marketing ploy. They're complete shysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Ah c'mon - why all the negativity ? These guys are great for Monster HDMI cables for only €110 .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

You can turn up on the night and sign up at the door by filling out a form if last year is anything to go by.

Pure marketing which a huge amount of people fall for. The amount of stock HN shift on the night, regardless of the lack of real deals, is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

fdevine wrote: »
    You can turn up on the night and sign up at the door by filling out a form if last year is anything to go by.

Pure marketing which a huge amount of people fall for. The amount of stock HN shift on the night, regardless of the lack of real deals, is astonishing.

Was told that most stores take in around 250K in the couple of hours of these " staff sales"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 brax

Anyone ever gone to one of these sales? Am looking to get a good laptop (Lenovo or Apple maybe) but it's a bit out of my way and I don't want to go all that way for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Had my eye on a TV coming up to their staff sale this time last year. It was €1249 beforehand with no mention of a sale price. I was thinking I was going to make a nice saving on it until I went on the night and it was priced at €1250, supposedly down from €1600. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it to these one night events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Are we sure they are not just trying to sell their staff to unsuspecting customers.?

Joe blogs going in to buy and bed and comes out with paddy from sixmilebridge who is surplus to store requirements!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

brax wrote: »
    Anyone ever gone to one of these sales? Am looking to get a good laptop (Lenovo or Apple maybe) but it's a bit out of my way and I don't want to go all that way for nothing.

I went to one of these "sales" about 6 or 8 weeks ago down this area. Had my eye on a few items. I went to the shop a few days previous and took note of the prices on the items that I was interested in. Total came to €1360 before the "sale". €1430 on the evening of the "sale" No room to haggle as the prices were (quote) "giveaway" Draw your own conclusions. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'm sure this is not much of a sale, but the late opening suits me. Presumably, I'll have to give a false email address on the form....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Harvey Norman would need to seriously undercut their rivals before I would deal with them again. Too much of a gamble with them. If something goes wrong with your product or delivery they are a nightmare to deal with. Long delays in getting it sorted and their staff attitude is always 'not my problem'.

Over priced. Bad customer service. Dont know how they are still in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Definitely an attempt to suck you in ...
    This registration form is now closed. If you didn’t get to register in time, don’t worry, you can still attend the night. Simply fill out the in-store registration form upon arrival at your local Harvey Norman store and you can shop at staff prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Did anyone go there today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Went in for the nose but the staff were obviously told to go for a hard sell as anytime I stood still they were on top of me like snakes after a lizard.

Managed to escape but just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

brevity wrote: »
    Went in for the nose but the staff were obviously told to go for a hard sell as anytime I stood still they were on top of me like snakes after a lizard.

Managed to escape but just about.

Someone's been watching Planet Earth 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did anyone go there today ?

Just back. Some stuff on sale, some not worth what they are asking.

Dyson V8 Absolute €494. If looking for one, that's a genuine sale price as I've been researching them for the last month, although cheaper from the north https://donaghybros.co.uk/dyson-v8-absolute-cordless-vacuum-cleaner.html

Dyson hair dryer €379. Usually €399 but can be got for €345 up north.
    Tefal 1.5kg family actifry €199. Think the cheapest currently is €229 anywhere else so a little saving.

Stood there while a staff member told someone that the LG sound bar is usually €175 so a bargain at €73. Nearly got me too until I seen Argos have it for €69!

Also heard a couple arguing with staff about a sofa they wanted to buy. It was 1449 or something last weekend, but tonight's "staff sale" sticker said it was normally €1749!

Advertisement