Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Autumn & Winter Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'd love to know though if revenue down in the sales compared to the previous setup.

If it is costing them a fortune I'd imagine they are coming up with a way to handle it. It's also a little bit unfair on online retailers that they can't put a hiatus on sale-item refunds like retail outlets do. Also, unless the product is faulty, retail outlets aren't obliged to refund for change of mind.

I for one am spending a fraction of what I used to spend on the sales. Only picked up Life is Strange for a fiver so far in this sale.
    1. Print more money cards.
    2. Profit.
    3. Profit.
    4. Profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've come to appreciate the way the sales are now. I prefer being able to take my time in deciding.

Obviously the deeper discounts are missed but honestly I dont miss impulse buying stuff because they're cheap. Just ended up with loads of games that wouldnt get played anytime soon. At least when I buy stuff now it's stuff I will play soon.

Besides if you shop around on other sites you can pick up better discounts on some stuff anyway.

The card thing is ok as well. Not much fun but its free money at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

dreamers75 wrote: »
    B92E891310A431AA7C80F61C3C71B2D24906965A

if anyone gets dying light add me, I want to kill this mofo and i dont think it will be easy.

Over 80hours up on it now... Game is best with friends... If you want add me and I'm on and off Dying light, have 3 other friends that I play with as well. Steam: locknloadeire

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Taylor365 wrote: »
    1. Print more money cards.
    2. Profit.
    3. Profit.
    4. Profit.

The card thing is ok as well. Not much fun but its free money at the end of the day.

This the trading cards thing? I've never really paid much heed to them since they came out. I've never gotten a random drop it says I need after earning the 3 or 4 by gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got around to checking out the sale today, picked up Ori and the Blind Forest, VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action, Unepic, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Hacknet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I prefer the sale being the way it is now, that way I'm not checking every day and waiting for prices to drop further or making purchases that i'll never play.

I doubt their profits are lower because were buying less games and paying more compared to a few years ago where nearly everything was 75% off, some times it was 90% off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tempted by owl boy.

Tempted by owl boy.

Waiting for the price to drop more, should be half price in the indie sale in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I might get To the Moon also. The reviews are tempting me.

Xenji wrote: »
    Waiting for the price to drop more, should be half price in the indie sale in March.

I'm playing it at the moment and while I'm mostly enjoying it I'd agree with this. I think 50% off would be the point where its worth buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

I might get To the Moon also. The reviews are tempting me.

One of the best games ive ever played, just give it a good chance at the begining to let the story grab you

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not many games tug at the heartstrings like To The Moon. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. Play it in one or two sessions at most for best impact. It's only a few hours long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Mr E wrote: »
    Not many games tug at the heartstrings like To The Moon. I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried at the end. Play it in one or two sessions at most for best impact. It's only a few hours long.

Same as, like a baby..

Sold. I love a game that gets me emotionally invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Mr E wrote: »

Thought "Hmm, have a couple of quid lying loose in the bank, lets look at this To The Moon"

Appears I already own it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonzo wrote: »
    I prefer the sale being the way it is now, that way I'm not checking every day and waiting for prices to drop further or making purchases that i'll never play.

I doubt their profits are lower because were buying less games and paying more compared to a few years ago where nearly everything was 75% off, some times it was 90% off.
    In the past, I'd get up at silly o'clock to check on sale prices.

But I bought more. Now, I rarely buy anything; the prices are still to high for games that I know I'll only play casually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

"My summer car" few mates got it and bought it myself last night fantastic little game! Well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got Firewatch and the Witness for the wife, nothing for me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Glebee wrote: »
    Same as, like a baby..
    If you don't shed a tear at the end of To The Moon, there's an extremely high likelihood that you're some kind of monster/are emotionally damaged :) Not sure there was a whole lot of 'gaming' in the To The Moon experience but was well worth it nevertheless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hyper light drifter is cool, the little bit I've played anyway, dead state is...........interesting.

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote: »
    If you don't shed a tear at the end of To The Moon, there's an extremely high likelihood that you're some kind of monster/are emotionally damaged :) Not sure there was a whole lot of 'gaming' in the To The Moon experience but was well worth it nevertheless.

Well, after finding it lurking in my library (must have gotten in in a Humble Bundle), I can safely say that it's 4 hours and 2 litres of tears I'm never getting back. Don't think I've choked on my own sobs like that since my dad's funeral!

Got Shadowrun and crosscode

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well, after finding it lurking in my library (must have gotten in in a Humble Bundle), I can safely say that it's 4 hours and 2 litres of tears I'm never getting back. Don't think I've choked on my own sobs like that since my dad's funeral!

Just finished it now myself. Can't see through the tears. Wow. Just...wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Just finished it now myself. Can't see through the tears. Wow. Just...wow.

And the best part? The second chapter is coming in 2017, 'Finding Paradise'. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Purchased This War of Mine, Undertale, Rimworld and To the Moon (after reading the last few posts :pac:)

Yakult wrote: »
    Purchased This War of Mine, Undertale, Rimworld and To the Moon (after reading the last few posts :pac:)

Good thing you read them first, you'll not be able to see through your tears once you get to the end!

Got Pony Island with the money I got from selling cards. Saw it mentioned in the Jimquisitions games of the year the other day and it looked interesting. Its going really cheap too.

Got Pony Island with the money I got from selling cards. Saw it mentioned in the Jimquisitions games of the year the other day and it looked interesting. Its going really cheap too.

It is a great game, would recommend to anyone, can be a bit frustrating but it actually adds to its charm.

What are peoples thoughts on Orwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Right you bunch of feckers. Based on all the feedback here I went and bought To The Moon.... I'd better cry shedloads! I don't normally play those old school style games so not sure how well it'll go down with me.

• Advertisement

My final haul for the sale:

Owlboy
    Stellaris and Plantoids DLC
    Planet Coaster
    Rights of Man DLC for EU4
    Reapers Due DLC for CK2
    Inside
    Final Fantasy 9
    Snowfall DLC for Cities Skylines
    Steamworld Heist
    Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants DLC for Dont Starve
    Pony Island
    Dropsy

Also picked up some Call of the Beastmen, King and the Warlord and the Grim and the Grave DLC for TW Warhammer from Gamesplanet.

Ended up spending a bit more than originally planned but all that should keep me going for a few months.

Advertisement