Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Autumn & Winter Sales

Options
  • 05-11-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this. I don't think steam sales are as good now as they used to be, but having just gotten a new PC, I'll be checking out the offers more closely this year.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/794618758446911488

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm not sure why they got rid of the flash deals and the other time-sensitive discounts. The amount of games I've bought because I was afraid of missing the price was ridiculous. The voting system was a great way to get me to log in every day too.

Now I browse the sales and if I see something I want, I buy it. But defo don't spend nearly as much as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Word is it was due to the refund policy - too much of a pain in ass to figure out who paid what for a certain game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Word is it was due to the refund policy - too much of a pain in ass to figure out who paid what for a certain game.

How is there possibly any "working out" for that? Surely their system just shows the number beside the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's because they'd have been bombarded with refund requests when people buy a game, then it comes in at a lower price, with the constantly changing sales prices. One price for the duration of the sale does away with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zillah wrote: »
    How is there possibly any "working out" for that? Surely their system just shows the number beside the purchase?

Never underestimate the laziness of IT people

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »

Think as said above it was more that thousands of people would buy a game at a certain price, wait to see if the price dropped during a flash sale and request a refund in order to buy it at the reduced price.

Like price insurance really.

Either way, the sales are a lot less fun for me and a loss less pain for my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Any confirmation that the sale starts tomorrow?

Only this badly worded confirmation which is also flagged not confirmed:

http://www.whenisthenextsteamsale.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont think the daily deals actually had a sale with a refund option, summer 2015 was when refunds came, the next sale was nov 2015.

Not sure of the exact dates but think daily deals came after the summer sale.

So today at 6pm... what are people looking out for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Planet Coaster 25% off would do me nicely. Half price SFV maybe. Good discount on Squad also.

Then I'll probably get some games for friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've already started early. New Deus Ex for 16.50. Doubt it will get better than that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Picked up Mankind Divided as well. Can't really argue with €16 for that. Other than that, i'll wait and see and probably pick up a few things on my wishlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hoping the TW Warhammer DLC gets reduced and might pick up some of that. Planning to pick up Dark Souls 2 so I can start that right after I finish the first one.

Not sure on anything else yet. Maybe Hearts of Iron 4 or Stellaris if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭pawrick

wouldn't mind TW Warhammer myself, the steam sales though are so common that there's no fun in it for me anymore. It's just a matter of waiting for a game to drop in one of the many sales during the year.

TW Warhammer was 20% off on another site the other week so I reckon it'll have a similar discount this time round. I bought it on release and felt it was worth it then. Most enjoyable TW game for me since Medieval 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Got myself a €50 steam voucher today, from another voucher I got in work. Nothing really specific I can think I want, just going to cruise for some good bargains

Well no cut on the TW DLC. Picked it up on gamesplanet instead where it is reduced. Got a 50 pound budget for the steam sale so going to take a look around before buying. Stellaris got a nice discount so looks like I'll be picking that up at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

First timer in a along time picking up anything in a steam sale. A few items ive had onb my list for a long time a skipped before.

Ryse:Son of Rome 4.99
    Styx 7.49
    ABZU 5.99
    Walking Dead:Season 2 5.74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Like the last sale most of the stuff on my wishlist have only got weak discounts. Im going to pick up sub nautica as its less than €10 with 50% off but nothing else jumping out at me really.

Squad is tempting but with it only being 30% off ill most likely pass on it.

EoinHef wrote: »

Squad is tempting but with it only being 30% off ill most likely pass on it.

Its worth it at full price.

A more refined infantry based fighting game than Arma 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

well i got myself dark souls 3 and city skylines with the dlc and that is me done till after new years.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its worth it at full price.

A more refined infantry based fighting game than Arma 3.

Hmm,guy i work with is saying hes gonna pick it up,maybe ill grab it so.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Hmm,guy i work with is saying hes gonna pick it up,maybe ill grab it so.

Oh just to be clear its still early access but it is ****ing hard and awesome.

Considering the other games you have posted about this suits you.

Also its ****ing hard :D

Its made by the guys who made Project Reality for BF2. Has its own thead here somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Kinda disappointing Steam sale for me. My wish-list reflects the current state of the Steam sales with
    the majority of it only getting 33-50% off, and only a few are 75% off.
    That's the price of having a Steam refund policy I guess, as the developers seemingly are reluctant to
    deep-discount games like they used to.

On the bright side there are a few nice deals like;
    Metro Redux Bundle for €5.99 - http://store.steampowered.com/sub/44169/
    Dishonored for €3.29 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/205100/?snr=1_7_7_ut1_150_2
    Tales of Symphonia for €4.99 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/372360/

Check out the Hidden Gems thread on Reddit for some more... https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/5jt19f/steam_winter_sale_hidden_gems_thread/

That hidden gems thread is great, cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Couldn't find anything to buy on my first look

Well I learned a lesson in double checking that the transaction is set for my steam wallet and not my paypal account.:(

Probably could have tried to refund those games but decided to just keep them.

Anyway ended up with Stellaris, Planet Coaster, Dishonoured 2 and Owlboy.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Oh just to be clear its still early access but it is ****ing hard and awesome.

Considering the other games you have posted about this suits you.

Also its ****ing hard :D

Its made by the guys who made Project Reality for BF2. Has its own thead here somewhere.

Ive had my eye on it awhile,main concern would be the learning curve and the time involved to git gud:) But with a friend picking it up im happy enough someone else will be as bad as me at it!

Wll thats escaleted quickly.....
    Vermintide
    Squad
    Firewatch
    Sub Nautica
    and Grim Dawn in the cart now

Either Grim Dawn or Firewatch is gonna get taken out,cant decide which though!

Advertisement