Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best "passage" in a game you've ever played?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Theres a part in Dying light where you're inlfitrating a tower block and you can hear the sound of a child crying, getting louder as you make your way up the building.
    when you get to the room where the child is, it turns out to be a baby of about 1 years old, thats been zombified and has these strange shrieking powers. You then proceed to smother the child

It probably upset me more as I have young kids, but I had to stop playing and go for a cup of tea after that, It was such a gut punch.

Probably the opening of Half-Life. I remember playing that game when it was first released and being amazed at the fact that you had essentially a living world happening all around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The Bloody Baron questline in The Witcher 3. Multiple ways that it can play but in the end someone will always get fúcked over one way or another. I got a particularly grim ending to it which I didn't see coming. Actually that's one thing I love about The Witcher 3 is the choices that sometimes feel like a minor throwaway thing at the time but impact you later in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Theres a part in Dying light where you're inlfitrating a tower block and you can hear the sound of a child crying, getting louder as you make your way up the building.
    when you get to the room where the child is, it turns out to be a baby of about 1 years old, thats been zombified and has these strange shrieking powers. You then proceed to smother the child

It probably upset me more as I have young kids, but I had to stop playing and go for a cup of tea after that, It was such a gut punch.

Jesus, I never came across that in my play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only played Journey for the first time recently. The section where you're sliding down the sand and the sunlight hits the environment in such a way that it makes everything appear almost golden was genuinely one of the most beautiful moments in gaming I've experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The first few levels of GoldenEye. Played nothing like it before and it's stuck with me. Killing the lads in the jacks was a simple highlight!
    Also when the cartridge gets dusty and they start gliding around the floor in pursuit of you... The only time I ever recall unplugging a console from the power source. I can only handle so much.
    Sonics2k wrote:
    For me the standout has to be World of Warcraft.
    You know, I've aspired to graduate to the MMORPG version since my early teens. I loved Warcraft II with fanatical devotion. I think my social anxiety will forever outweigh the enthusiasm for the cut scenes, music, premise and gameplay which I drooled over in the 90s. But I think I might remotely know your feelings, because I worked in HMV during the launch of Wrath of the Lych King and wished I was part of that. Someday...
    Gonzo wrote:
    4 - Doom (PC) I will never forget seeing this running on a pc downstairs in the old HMV in Grafton Street. Of course I didn't own a pc at the time and all I could do was drool. I didn't get to play Doom till at least a year or two later.
    Yes. This. The vicarious want of trauma you can engage with. And then PC gaming, and Quake. I had a demo initially and then found the actual edition. Monsters attacking me with chainsaws; the first time I truly felt anything resembling emotions.
    moloner4 wrote:
    Skyrim, killing your first dragon.
    My first dragon fight in Skyrim.
    Taking deity-level control of gaming to the next level. This is why I game.
    Yes!! Can't believe it took that long for someone to mention The Walking Dead....
    OK, stepping back slightly, I love the format of these games. I love the player involvement. It lacks in decision-making impact, but it has such great empowerment in terms of story regardless.

My most monumental moment in gameplay history was riding over the crest of the hill in Red Dead to see the creeping impact of industry. They imitated it in Rango, but I was already stunned. Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, There Will Be Blood... That whole era just speaks to me. And RDR got there first. I'm not ashamed to admit, I wept playing that game... In poker, but also in actuality.

Advertisement