Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best "passage" in a game you've ever played?

Options
  • 04-11-2016 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Passage, as in straight one hour to two hours of gameplay.

For me it has to be the ending of the original Mass Effect. Right from when you
    land in Ilos
    up to where you
    defeat Saren.
    Everything from the music to the dialogue to the pacing was done so perfectly.

What's your favourite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The intro chapter in The Last of Us. Holy Jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The whole game of To The Moon (only 2-3 hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Journey

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Also the whole game of Gone Home (about 2 hours). Captivated from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The intro chapter in The Last of Us. Holy Jaysus...

The last chapter of TLoU :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The boss fight against The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. If ever there was a section of game I'd love to play again for the first time, it'd be that.

Opening the door and exiting the vault at the start of Fallout 3, picked the game up on a whim knowing nothing about it, hadn't played previous ones at that point nor was I aware that it was open world so did the goat and was expecting well not the sight the awaited me. A truly jaw dropping moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Bioshock, didn't know anything about it when I picked up the box and then that intro sequence from the plane to stepping out of the pod into rapture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,570 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The first 30 minutes or so of The Evil Within are fantastic, hoped the rest of the game would be similar to that.

I love the escape sequences in Ori and the Blind Forest, the music and visuals in those parts of the game are great.

There's a mission in Medal of Honor Rising Sun called Singapore Sling that I used to play over and over, I still remember that vividly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Killing my first Colossus.

I'm a monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The first few levels of GoldenEye. Played nothing like it before and it's stuck with me.
    Killing the lads in the jacks was a simple highlight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've played all the ones list above, all are great, it's hard to pick just one.
    Not saying it's definitely my number 1....because I'd have to really think about it.....but the first hour of Metal Gear Solid,
    Coming up that elevator...then using BINOCULARS !! to zoom ! . I'd never seen anything like it in a game.
    The character, the music, the mood....it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

For me it's the last couple of mins of silent hill when the whole brilliant executed narrative is unwinding to its conclusion.

Still have it in my top three games after all these years and it still will get a run out every couple of months. Wonderful game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Will always be leaving Link's house in A Link to the Past with those beautiful 2D graphics, the rain, the music and heading for the castle and dropping down the hole into the dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

A couple of standout scenes for me come from Life Is Strange, spoilers ahead, when Kate in Ep2
    jumps from the building, I genuinely thought it was meant to be, it was only after the credits I realized you could save her. That hurt
    . The choice in Ep4 to whether
    euthanize Chloe or not. A lot of conflict in that choice between what was morally/legally right and Chloes wishes
    . And finally the scene again in Ep4 when Chloe and Max
    discover Rachel's body in the dump/wreck yard
    . The voice acting and music combined was something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

When I opened this I immediately thought of Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

My first day working in the Black Mesa facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Penn wrote: »
    The boss fight against The End in Metal Gear Solid 3. If ever there was a section of game I'd love to play again for the first time, it'd be that.

I had to give up the game for a while as it was a tough level but eventually went back as I read that he dies of old age if you hadn't played the game for a certain amount of time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Few metal gear solid moments.

First game - trying to mercy kill the ninja with a rocket launcher....when you click shoot, snake saying ....No I CANT DO IT....class

Metal gear 3....crawling down that corridor of radiation....music epic song playing....smashing the button to crawl inch by inch down the corridor.

Metal gear 4 when snake has the dream and you get to go back and play metal gear 1....amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

For me the standout has to be World of Warcraft.

Like many others my first character was a Human, and after about 2 hours or so of questing I saw mention of Stormwind by other players. So I decided to make the trek there.
    Despite my crappy PC at the time, the moment I first approached the city and the music of Stormwind kicked in I was totally taken in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The Ravenholm section of Half Life 2. Amazing.

Also, the finale of Journey. Incredibly moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

This 10 years ago was pretty intense:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Few metal gear solid moments.

First game - trying to mercy kill the ninja with a rocket launcher....when you click shoot, snake saying ....No I CANT DO IT....class

Metal gear 3....crawling down that corridor of radiation....music epic song playing....smashing the button to crawl inch by inch down the corridor.

Metal gear 4 when snake has the dream and you get to go back and play metal gear 1....amazing

The microwave corridor? That was in MGS4.

MGS3 had a few. The Boss fight is one of my favourite moments in gaming. The bike chase scene away from the Shagohod was great too.

Agree with the Life is Strange Kate moment and the opening to TLOU, although they're more memorable than favourite.

Really liked the end of Bioshock 2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

My first dragon fight in Skyrim.

Climbing a mountain in skyrim and going mining about 30 seconds into the gane. For some reason it stuck with me because the scale of the game had kind of been revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows. Still one of my favcourite levels in gaming. Kieron Gillen wrote a great piece about it complete with an interview with its designer years ago that's definitely worth a read for anyone whose played it.

The final mission in Mass Effect 2. From overhearing conversations in work I knew some squad mates could die if I made the wrong decision so the entire thing was pretty tense from the start to its admitedly ridiculous conclusion.

The flash back sniper level in Modern Warfare, "All Ghillied Up". Fantastically tense and totally at odds with the rest of the campaign, and indeed series, which has excelled at offering the action at breakneck speed.

While the introduction to Rapture has stuck with me as a standout sequence in gaming, the lack of gameplay means it can't really be included but Bioshock still has Fort Frolic, an area which distilled what made the game great in my eyes.

Everything after the death of the final Colossus in Shadow of Colossus. A mix of cinematics and gameplay so I'm including it.

The Three Leaf Clover mission in GTA4. The closest a game has come to nailing the essence of the robbery scene from the film Heat before.

Resident Evil 4 - This was actually the first full Resident Evil game I had played but even from the beginning, as I approached The Village section and moved through it, I knew I was about to get stuck into something pretty special.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - The Scarecrow Hallucination which deals with the death of the Waynes. As someone who grew up with the comics and Animated Series, that was pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Dark Souls, when you beat the Iron Golem and get taken up to Anor Londo. When you get over the wall and Anor Londo is revealed in that cinematic piece absolutely blew me away. I love that game.

The other one that stands out to me is the opening sequence in Final Fantasy 10 when the city is attacked by Sin. For the PS2 the graphics were exceptional

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Metal Gear Solid: When you first encounter the ninja, Psycho Mantis, any of the major Codec moments!
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Teaming up with
    Solid Snake
    near the end.
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Boss fight vs The End (once you figure out how to beat him!)
    Metal Gear Solid 4: When you revisit
    Shadow Moses, hijack Metal Gear Rex and go toe to toe with Liquid in a Metal Gear Ray.
    Elder Scrolls: The Dark Brotherhood Faction Quests
    Star Wars Battlefront II: The multiplayer level when you can go play as either all the heroes or all the villains.
    Call of Duty 4: The ghillie suit mission.
    Pokemon RBY: Wandering through Cerulean Cave and capturing Mewtwo
    Pokemon GSC: Battling
    Red
    on the top of Mount Silver
    Tekken 3: Tekken Beachball was so fun!
    GTA Series: Spawning tanks and generally reaking havoc accompanied by an 80s soundtrack!

I'm quite a Metal Gear fan if you haven't noticed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Blue Gravity Gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

The ending of Trails in the Sky

Climbing and crossing the End of the World in Grandia

Advertisement