Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos v Ferguson

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Calling RDA a journey man makes the rest of your ramblings invalid.

Ha. No.

Does Khabibs padded record not concern any of his biggest fans? That the biggest win of his career up until 2 fights ago was a journeyman pro with a record of 27-8?

That the combined record of Khabibs UFC-opponents is 147-62 and their combined records in the UFC is 36-20?

Surely it should be an element of concern that he's massively under-tested in the UFC. He amassed a padded-record beating tomato cans in Russia to get to 16-0 and up until 2 fights ago the biggest win of his career was a victory over journeyman Gleison Tibau.

Look, i'm not saying Khabib is a bad fighter. I just think he's in a fortunate #1 contender position based on his CV in the UFC.

Edson Barboza has wins over Evan Dunham, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez.

Donald Cerrone has wins over Dunham, Barboza, Benson Henderson and the (at the time) undefeated Myles Jury.

Ferguson now has wins over Josh Thomson, Barboza and RDA.

Johnson has wins over Ferguson, Joe Lauzon, Barboza and Poirier.

There's plenty of guys below Khabib who are fully tested within the UFC by elite opponents. Khabib isn't. He might well turn out to be every bit as good as the hype but until he actually faces high level talent i'm going to retain the suspicion he's too easily hit and elite strikers will wreck him.

My point re: McGregor was simply that he was handed fights like Poirier and Holloway - one a ranked contender and the other a huge prospect.

Khabib, in contrast, wasn't handed one single fighter under the age of 30 in the UFC. He was effectively tossed the "Dennis Siver" type of guy 4 fights in a row. Which means guys coming to the end of their careers who pose little threat.

As for promotion, no it's not the WWE but the microphone at the end of a fight is the biggest platform these men and women have to shape their future. You can be 100% certain Jon Anik's next question would have been "Who would you like to fight next?". All Ferguson had to do was say "either of those half-irish bums fighting in NY next week".

It's criminal towards your own career to not build your profile when you get the chance. He had 2 minutes there if he wanted to directly talk to hundreds of thousands of fans at home and he wasted it by saying "viva Mexico". Hell, at the very worst he could have at least thanked his coaches and given them some publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dos Anjos via Decision

No it does not. At all actually. RDA is far from a journeyman obviously but there is some very valid and pertinent points in the rest of his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ha. No.

Does Khabibs padded record not concern any of his biggest fans? That the biggest win of his career up until 2 fights ago was a journeyman pro with a record of 27-8?

That the combined record of Khabibs UFC-opponents is 147-62 and their combined records in the UFC is 36-20?

Surely it should be an element of concern that he's massively under-tested in the UFC. He amassed a padded-record beating tomato cans in Russia to get to 16-0 and up until 2 fights ago the biggest win of his career was a victory over journeyman Gleison Tibau.

Look, i'm not saying Khabib is a bad fighter. I just think he's in a fortunate #1 contender position based on his CV in the UFC.

Edson Barboza has wins over Evan Dunham, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez.

Donald Cerrone has wins over Dunham, Barboza, Benson Henderson and the (at the time) undefeated Myles Jury.

Ferguson now has wins over Josh Thomson, Barboza and RDA.

Johnson has wins over Ferguson, Joe Lauzon, Barboza and Poirier.

There's plenty of guys below Khabib who are fully tested within the UFC by elite opponents. Khabib isn't. He might well turn out to be every bit as good as the hype but until he actually faces high level talent i'm going to retain the suspicion he's too easily hit and elite strikers will wreck him.

My point re: McGregor was simply that he was handed fights like Poirier and Holloway - one a ranked contender and the other a huge prospect.

Khabib, in contrast, wasn't handed one single fighter under the age of 30 in the UFC. He was effectively tossed the "Dennis Siver" type of guy 4 fights in a row. Which means guys coming to the end of their careers who pose little threat.

As for promotion, no it's not the WWE but the microphone at the end of a fight is the biggest platform these men and women have to shape their future. You can be 100% certain Jon Anik's next question would have been "Who would you like to fight next?". All Ferguson had to do was say "either of those half-irish bums fighting in NY next week".

It's criminal towards your own career to not build your profile when you get the chance. He had 2 minutes there if he wanted to directly talk to hundreds of thousands of fans at home and he wasted it by saying "viva Mexico". Hell, at the very worst he could have at least thanked his coaches and given them some publicity.
    Kind of hard to fight when boys are ducking him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dos Anjos via Decision

It's usually a good idea to read properly.

"the biggest win of his career up until 2 fights ago was a journeyman pro with a 27-8 record".

The words 'up until 2 fights ago' means exactly that. He fought RDA 2 fights ago. Up until then his best win was Gleison Tibau.

Reading is a good skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Glad I didnt stay up for that. Both ferg and dos just happy to point score. Conor can handle both these fighters with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dos Anjos via Submission
    Maybe you should try reading the entirety of the posts and look up the meaning of the word "context".

Will do. As soon as you should look up the meaning of the word "begrudger". ;)

dos Anjos via Decision
    For all his pre-fight talk, RDA sure as hell backed away from the jiujitsu exchange at the first opportunity.

He wanted none of Fergusons tricky 10th Planet stuff.

For weeks RDA kept saying he will dominate Tony if it goes to the ground yet when it actually hit the deck he disengaged as fast as he could from top control.

What a terrible year for RDA. So close to a $2 million + payday in March as champion and now he's gone 0-2 and slid right down the pecking order. Feel sorry for him he seems like a really decent guy.

The only way that could get worse for anybody is if Frankie Edgar loses to Jeremy Stephens. Again, he was within whiskers of the Conor fight (offered it as a replacement in late february) and now possibly going 0-2 himself.

"Curse of the Missed Red Panty Night".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Tony Ferguson is going to be hard man to beat. I think he's a bad match up for most of the division and his striking gets better each fight. His chin is insane, he doesn't flinch. I dunno if Conor could handle that pressure but I'd love to see the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

dos Anjos via Decision
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Tony Ferguson is going to be hard man to beat. I think he's a bad match up for most of the division and his striking gets better each fight. His chin is insane, he doesn't flinch. I dunno if Conor could handle that pressure but I'd love to see the fight.

He got dropped in his last fight against a guy making his UFC debut on short notice. While he did well to come back, that wasn't his most impressive performance he's still trouble for anyone at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

For all his pre-fight talk, RDA sure as hell backed away from the jiujitsu exchange at the first opportunity.

He wanted none of Fergusons tricky 10th Planet stuff.

For weeks RDA kept saying he will dominate Tony if it goes to the ground yet when it actually hit the deck he disengaged as fast as he could from top control.

What a terrible year for RDA. So close to a $2 million + payday in March as champion and now he's gone 0-2 and slid right down the pecking order. Feel sorry for him he seems like a really decent guy.

The only way that could get worse for anybody is if Frankie Edgar loses to Jeremy Stephens. Again, he was within whiskers of the Conor fight (offered it as a replacement in late february) and now possibly going 0-2 himself.

"Curse of the Missed Red Panty Night".

Have to say RDA didn't look his usual self last night. I think the loss against Alvarez has effected him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,119 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ferguson via KO/TKO
    I was under the impression toe holds were illegal.. do they not count as small joint manipulation?

As Sub.Marcos said, they don't actually attack the toes - the same way that a heel hook usually attacks the knee.

It's also because you are grabbing multiple toes rather than an individual toe. It's the equivalent of a wrist lock. Grabbing an individual digit is illegal.

dos Anjos via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    As Sub.Marcos said, they don't actually attack the toes - the same way that a heel hook usually attacks the knee.

It's also because you are grabbing multiple toes rather than an individual toe. It's the equivalent of a wrist lock. Grabbing an individual digit is illegal.

How easy would it be in theory for Herb Dean to spot Held deliberately manipulating Diego's baby toe? Not saying he'd have any interest in doing it but i've always felt the small joint manipulation rule to be very difficult to enforce. A ref has a split second to spot a small joint manipulation and often his eyes will be focused on the guy defending the heel hook.

Ferguson via KO/TKO
    How easy would it be in theory for Herb Dean to spot Held deliberately manipulating Diego's baby toe? Not saying he'd have any interest in doing it but i've always felt the small joint manipulation rule to be very difficult to enforce. A ref has a split second to spot a small joint manipulation and often his eyes will be focused on the guy defending the heel hook.
    In a heel hook the grip isn't near the toes, you don't even hands directly on the opponent feet (in my preferred way at least). You'd have to bail on the heel hook to attack a toe.
    And in a proper toe hold you cover the toes with your palm rather than grab the toes.

I suppose a guy could intentionally grab a toe instead of a legal grip. The big toe is more likely the baby due to the way you rotate the foot. The ref might not spot it in time, but there's lot of camera's on you too. It would be silly to risky getting caught on camera when a legal sub is there at the same time.

Glad I didnt stay up for that. Both ferg and dos just happy to point score. Conor can handle both these fighters with ease.

WTF!! are you for real?? you mean in a fight or playing video games??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Would love to see a fight between Conor and Tony. Twould be fireworks, at least in the initial rounds. Two dynamic strikers with good chins throwing down. Would be interested to see if Conor could take him out. I think Conor could hit the chin more precisely than RDA can, but Tony recovers ridiculously quickly if it's not lights out. Also Tonys pace over 5 rounds is relentless. Don't think Conor could keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I was looking forward to this scrap however was distracted while watching it, RDA got the first however which other round did he win as I had it 4-1 Ferguson? As I said I was distracted watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this scrap however was distracted while watching it, RDA got the first however which other round did he win as I had it 4-1 Ferguson? As I said I was distracted watching.

The third if I recall correctly. RDA was setting pace in that round. I think what swung most rounds was whoever was putting on the pressure for most of the round. RDA caught Ferguson flush a few times in that round but didn't faze Ferguson at all.

I think 3-2 was fair but doesn't tell the whole story. I though Ferguson took the fight fairly comfortably in the end.

Cheers, Defo a rewatch during week.

Ferguson via KO/TKO
    Lukker- wrote: »
    The third if I recall correctly. RDA was setting pace in that round. I think what swung most rounds was whoever was putting on the pressure for most of the round. RDA caught Ferguson flush a few times in that round but didn't faze Ferguson at all.

I think 3-2 was fair but doesn't tell the whole story. I though Ferguson took the fight fairly comfortably in the end.

Yup the 3rd
    Was level going into the 5th, and Ferguson was never in front until the final bell

ufc-fight-night-scorecard-tony-ferguson-rafael-dos-anjos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Haven't seen it mentioned much but anyone think the eye poke had an effect in the fight turning? I was surprised it was so close and gave Ferguson the 3rd as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The stoppage was a joke Herb Dean missed it then a bit later let RDA call a time out.

Ferguson gave him an out on the time out, he stopped didn't really appear to want to take advantage of a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Gamebred wrote: »
    The stoppage was a joke Herb Dean missed it then a bit later let RDA call a time out.

It was another Herb spectacular alright but it was most definitely a bad poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It was another Herb spectacular alright but it was most definitely a bad poke.

It looked to happen in the opposite side to where Herb was standing (i.e. right eye), although then RDA was complaining about his left eye. I though that was a bit strange

Advertisement