Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos v Ferguson

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Stupid off him not to use his time on the mic to put himself in line for a shot,now a khabib win leaves him waiting even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

martyos121 wrote: »
    That win might lead to a massive payday for Ferguson next spring.

I don't think a #1 Contenders fight with Khabib to see who gets to fight Eddie is that big of a draw tbh. Probably another fight night headliner.

:pac::pac::pac:

Tony Ferguson Nate Diaz is what I want next **** the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I don't think a #1 Contenders fight with Khabib to see who gets to fight Eddie is that big of a draw tbh. Probably another fight night headliner.

:pac::pac::pac:

A number one contender fight to see who fights the number three contender is a strange concept man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

dos Anjos via Decision
    Thought RDA would win easyish, happy for Tony though great fighter to watch. Anyone else suprised by RDA? Even in the Alvarez fight he looked alot better till he got KOed.

Both Khabib and Tony have great cases for title shots now, if Khabib wins next week. Gonna be some craic when McGregor wins and they do Conor/Diaz 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dos Anjos via Decision
    The Khabib hype train is amusing.

Take out the RDA fight and who has he beaten? Nobody really.

He's gonna get wrecked by Johnson. It won't be a discussion next week. All roads lead to Conor or Eddie v Nate being realistic. Ferguson can't even cut a simple promo when given prime real estate to do so.

dos Anjos via Decision

He's gonna get wrecked by Johnson. It won't be a discussion next week. All roads lead to Conor or Eddie v Nate being realistic. Ferguson can't even cut a simple promo when given prime real estate to do so.

Don't agree there, he's completly wrecked every fighter he's fought. Johnson had a good win against Poirier but Khabib will ragdoll him completely.

The underrating of Khabib here is very, very unusual to me, I'd have him as a fairly strong favourite against the Menace. Write him off at your peril.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The underrating of Khabib here is very, very unusual to me, I'd have him as a fairly strong favourite against the Menace. Write him off at your peril.

Even his biggest fans dont know how good he is though,his best win against RDA was years ago a lot had changed since then he'd found one part time electrician in the past 2 years or something I think he's overated on what hes actually done so far I think Ferguson Barboza probably Alvarez all give him a very hard fight,theres no gimme's at 155 anyways thats for sure.

dos Anjos via Decision
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Even his biggest fans dont know how good he is though,his best win against RDA was years ago a lot had changed since then he'd found one part time electrician in the past 2 years or something I think he's overated on what hes actually done so far I think Ferguson Barboza probably Alvarez all give him a very hard fight,theres no gimme's at 155 anyways thats for sure.

He's still proven he's an elite lightweight with his 7 wins a row, He should beat Johnson and if he does him and El Cucey both are in the title discussion. He could only beat whats infront of him in his last fight even though he's massively injury prone himself. He'll beat Johnson with ease though.

• Advertisement

dos Anjos via Decision

Yeah this ^

I'll gladly eat my words if Khabib stays healthy and beats a few genuine contenders. Conor on his ascent to the FW belt beat Poirier, Holloway, Mendes on his way to Aldo.

In my book, Khabib really only has one decent win of that caliber at LW against RDA.

If he beats Johnson and one more decent contender i'll give him full credit but i don't see it happening. He's a one-dimensional wrestler with sloppy overhands. As of now, i think he's very easy to hit and Michael Johnson will put him away for snoozey-times.

I agree he's somewhat of an unknown quantity at this stage, given his injuries, but to say he's beaten nobody and that Johnson will wreck him (not your words of course, wonderfullife's post a little while ago) is very harsh and premature. His grappling is world class and he can take anyone down and keep them there. If his injuries really took that much out of him, he'll be beaten decisively by Johnson but i don't think that's the case and I reckon he'll dominate the Menace with his sambo and either finish him with strikes from crucifix or get a decision victory. That's just how I see it going.

He's a grappling phenom alright and probably why he's always injured but soon as someone stops that TD (hard I know) the games up for him im guessing,his striking is ok basic enough,someone like Barboza an atheltic scrambler kicks his dodgy knee's once and what happens then? I'd love to see him try take down guys like Alvarez and Ferguson who have wrestling pedigree's and can strike before I call him the uncrowned champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Ferguson/Conor or Ferguson/Eddie would be so fun to watch wouldnt last too long though

Khabib is sort of somebody who become a top contender a good while back and has stayed there through reputation and injury im also skeptical of his ability to beat Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Were you drunk when you posted this?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ferguson was a joy to watch. Makes you wonder how Conor vs RDA would've gone. Ferg eats some massive damage and doesn't flinch, I don't think Conor would put him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Conor on his ascent to the FW belt beat Poirier, Holloway, Mendes on his way to Aldo.

Where were Poirier and Holloway ranked when they fought McGregor?
    Ferguson can't even cut a simple promo when given prime real estate to do so.

It's not the WWE. At the weigh in and after the fight he spoke in Spanish to the Mexican fans. He did grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It's not the WWE. At the weigh in and after the fight he spoke in Spanish to the Mexican fans. He did grand.

You get his point though. Diaz got that fight against McGregor off that post fight McG rant on the mic. Would've been smart to maybe talk a little ****.

You get his point though. Diaz got that fight against McGregor off that post fight McG rant on the mic. Would've been smart to maybe talk a little ****.

Of course it would have been but I think it's refreshing that he didn't. Diaz got a fair bit of luck too with RDA pulling out. Ferguson will get his fight on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dos Anjos via Decision

Poirier was either #5 or #6, cant remember which. Holloway and McGregor were both unranked at the time they fought AFAIR.

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    Poirier was either #5 or #6, cant remember which. Holloway and McGregor were both unranked at the time they fought AFAIR.

Didn't think Poirier was that high but was fairly sure Holloway was unranked. I was trying to point out the daftness of saying Khabib had fought nobody while saying McGregor had fought Holloway. You can't use Holloway's subsequent improvement and tear through the division retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Of course it would have been but I think it's refreshing that he didn't. Diaz got a fair bit of luck too with RDA pulling out. Ferguson will get his fight on merit.

I don't think he'll get the fight to be honest. Not the next shot anyway

well i just watched that fight and as I always said, ferguson is a different league. If mcgregor fights him it's over. look at the pace alone for 5 rounds and just pure pressure, pressure, pressure. he wont put him down at all and so he'll have to stand that pace for 5 rounds, even at 155 though he'll be leaner and quicker than having fought diaz, I just think ferguson is too big, fast and on the night could weigh closer to 170 than 160 even. his punches are quick from a long arm too.

I'm a conor fan but I just dont see it happening. I see ferguson with the strap in 2017 from mcgregor or alvarez, he's just that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

dos Anjos via Decision
    Didn't think Poirier was that high but was fairly sure Holloway was unranked. I was trying to point out the daftness of saying Khabib had fought nobody while saying McGregor had fought Holloway. You can't use Holloway's subsequent improvement and tear through the division retrospectively.

I get what you're saying I guess but to be fair, Khabib fans (and some McGregor Naysayers) are always very quick to point out how Khabib has beaten RDA so if its good for the goose etc etc.

Either way and all things considered, when you stack up their UFC careers to date, McGregor has faced and beaten a higher calibre of opponent than Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dos Anjos via Submission

Are you trying to say Holloway was a bad fighter when he fought Conor....but suddenly became the best in the division overnight? Thats fairly ridiculous to be fair.

Fighters dont improve that much in such a short time. Holloway was already that good when he fought Conor. There is a reason Conor couldnt stop him.

Kirby wrote: »
    Are you trying to say Holloway was a bad fighter when he fought Conor....but suddenly became the best in the division overnight? Thats fairly ridiculous to be fair.

No. How on earth did you manage to draw that conclusion?

As for the fight itself, given the altitude in Mexico City, that was some seriously impressive cardio from Ferguson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭MichaelScarn

rusty cole wrote: »
    well i just watched that fight and as I always said, ferguson is a different league. If mcgregor fights him it's over. look at the pace alone for 5 rounds and just pure pressure, pressure, pressure. he wont put him down at all and so he'll have to stand that pace for 5 rounds, even at 155 though he'll be leaner and quicker than having fought diaz, I just think ferguson is too big, fast and on the night could weigh closer to 170 than 160 even. his punches are quick from a long arm too.

I'm a conor fan but I just dont see it happening. I see ferguson with the strap in 2017 from mcgregor or alvarez, he's just that good.

Ferguson looked very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dos Anjos via Submission
    Well I drew that conclusion when you said "You cant use Max Holloways tear through the division retrospectively". It seems pretty clear you mean he was bad against McGregor....and suddenly good versus everyone else? It just doesn't make sense.

You dont become a good fighter overnight. Conor's win against Holloway looks even better now when you consider that he was injured and that Holloway beat everyone else with ease.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well I drew that conclusion when you said "You cant use Max Holloways tear through the division retrospectively". It seems pretty clear you mean he was bad against McGregor....and suddenly good versus everyone else? It just doesn't make sense.

You dont become a good fighter overnight. Conor's win against Holloway looks even better now when you consider that he was injured and that Holloway beat everyone else with ease.

Maybe you should try reading the entirety of the posts and look up the meaning of the word "context".

• Advertisement

dos Anjos via Decision
    bur wrote: »
    Were you drunk when you posted this?

Ha. No.

Does Khabibs padded record not concern any of his biggest fans? That the biggest win of his career up until 2 fights ago was a journeyman pro with a record of 27-8?

That the combined record of Khabibs UFC-opponents is 147-62 and their combined records in the UFC is 36-20?

Surely it should be an element of concern that he's massively under-tested in the UFC. He amassed a padded-record beating tomato cans in Russia to get to 16-0 and up until 2 fights ago the biggest win of his career was a victory over journeyman Gleison Tibau.

Look, i'm not saying Khabib is a bad fighter. I just think he's in a fortunate #1 contender position based on his CV in the UFC.

Edson Barboza has wins over Evan Dunham, Anthony Pettis, Gilbert Melendez.

Donald Cerrone has wins over Dunham, Barboza, Benson Henderson and the (at the time) undefeated Myles Jury.

Ferguson now has wins over Josh Thomson, Barboza and RDA.

Johnson has wins over Ferguson, Joe Lauzon, Barboza and Poirier.

There's plenty of guys below Khabib who are fully tested within the UFC by elite opponents. Khabib isn't. He might well turn out to be every bit as good as the hype but until he actually faces high level talent i'm going to retain the suspicion he's too easily hit and elite strikers will wreck him.

My point re: McGregor was simply that he was handed fights like Poirier and Holloway - one a ranked contender and the other a huge prospect.

Khabib, in contrast, wasn't handed one single fighter under the age of 30 in the UFC. He was effectively tossed the "Dennis Siver" type of guy 4 fights in a row. Which means guys coming to the end of their careers who pose little threat.

As for promotion, no it's not the WWE but the microphone at the end of a fight is the biggest platform these men and women have to shape their future. You can be 100% certain Jon Anik's next question would have been "Who would you like to fight next?". All Ferguson had to do was say "either of those half-irish bums fighting in NY next week".

It's criminal towards your own career to not build your profile when you get the chance. He had 2 minutes there if he wanted to directly talk to hundreds of thousands of fans at home and he wasted it by saying "viva Mexico". Hell, at the very worst he could have at least thanked his coaches and given them some publicity.

Advertisement