Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Chicken mushroom & bacon pies. Suet pastry.

Post edited by Planet X on

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Smoked sirloin roast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭sporina

as per, I'd love to see the filling.. sounds fab.. love all those ingredients

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I missed my Oma's cooking this weekend, so on Sunday I made fresh Spaetzle and Paprika "Hendl", just with jackfruit and mushrooms instead of chicken.

It was close enough to be acceptable 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I know, for most Irish people, steaming anything other than vegetables is a bit of an anathema, suet pastry is really lovely steamed. You should try it sometime.

I used to do fully enclosed steamed suet pies/puddings but changed to doing suet dumplings on top of a stew. Much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Two from this week. Haven't made Sushi in years. I was the only one in the house that eats it. My youngest did eat a few pieces this time so I hopefully will more often now.

@Ryath where do you get the seafood that you're comfortable enough to eat as sushi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

I cheated! Only used smoked salmon and some cooked king prawns. Everything from lidl including the sushi kit. I'll buy everything separately next time though in the asian market. Better value and the sachet of rice vinegar that came with it was poor, everything else was decent enough though.

Would like some raw fish. I might try Tuna next time I'm fairly brave about what I eat. I've eaten oysters from local Fish Market so I'd hope their fish is safe to.

This turned out to be very over-smoked. Thought the beef would be able to take it but misjudged it completely. 😒

With the hot weather continuing, I didn't feel like something too warm for tea.

So I baked us some beans and cheese, made some guacamole and a fresh tomato salsa and we had that with nachos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Rice bowl with some cabbage and pork, soy mushrooms and a crispy egg with some of this on top. Hit the spot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Lemon chicken, with rice, leak and broccoli

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Currently making this... I was going to add coconut milk until I realised how much soy sauce was in the recipe... Would the coconut milk clash with the dark soy sauce? I think it might? 🤔

The only other changes I'm making are adding shallots to the paste, and adding dried lime leaves to the pot, as I don't have fresh limes, and palm sugar rather than brown sugar, but mush less than the recipe asked for. Oh, I also used dried lemongrass (first time using it, I think I threw away too much of the outer leaves).

Baked beans and cheese! Just pintos with cheese Shenshen, maybe or refried?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Soya adds salt, coconut milk adds sweetness. Shouldn’t clash.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 514 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Some tapas and pintxos and some basque cheesecake for housemates

I think this turned out really well. I didn't add coconut milk though, I liked the dark colour and dry texture.

The ingredients were really simple, but the flavour seemed to gel into a unique taste. Would definitely make again.

I used Caherbeg beef, the stewing type. Top notch.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Roast lamb, roast potatoes, carrot and turnip, tenderstem broccoli and an industrial amount of stuffing. With a gorgeous sauce made from the veg the lamb cooked on and the cooking juices. I did add another couple of potatoes to my plate. Don't know where I was going with only 2.

It was the most perfect Sunday dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Smoked shoulder of lamb, root vegetables salad, cucumber salad and air fried wedges. Delicious

Oh my, that does look good lamb.

Mushroom, cabbage and chilli noodles. First time cooking with vermicelli noodes, I think. Quite like them.

I now officially have no veg left in the fridge. Let the freezer consumation commence.

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Advertisement

I like my lamb skewers well done! With grilled vegetables, couscous, hummous, pickled cucumbers etc. Not very prettily assembled, but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It was Mr Woodchuck's birthday, so went all out! Made the Tarte au Soleil and coq au Vin from from scratch, but the crab cakes and chocolate cake were from the supermarket (I actually would've liked to bake a cake, but this particular cake reminds him of his childhood, so I just can't compete with that 🙈)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Not really refried, though they do come out a little similar.

I threw a tin of mixed beans (drained), half an onion, a clove of garlic, a pickled jalapeno and a tablespoon of cream cheese in a blender, with salt, cumin, paprika, chili flakes and smoked paprika for seasoning. Blitzed it into a smooth paste, then half-filled the ramekins. Layered in some grated cheddar, topped the ramekins up with the rest of the mixture, more grated cheddar on top and then baked for 20 minutes.

Mini quiches (from On The Pigs Back) with green beans (Killbrack) and romesco. Tomato and cucumbers.

Fairly simple flavours, but a nice light meal.

Had a busy weekend so ended up with one of Jamie Oliver’s 30 min meals tonight. It’s a handy book to have in the cupboard, even if I find him a little bit insufferable at times.

Chicken pie, carrot mash and French style peas.

the pie is very good, for something that only takes about 20 mins to make. Proper rainy day food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Slow cooked two pork shoulders for family over the weekend. Homemade rub.

Made a shin beef, marrow and madeira sauce to mix the pulled pork with.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Too tired to cook so a Lidl margherita pizza that I added some parma to.

Bland enough but filled a gap.

• Advertisement

Partner is away, time for dal. Bit more soupy than I usually make it but I suppose I can fix that easily enough.

Advertisement