Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, funny side story tonight. Went out to a local restaurant. Service very slow due to lack of staff numbers, blame the owner not the staff who were great, which we told them, food was nice, left the restaurant during a conversation with herself's mother in law about drugs which was entertaining but anyway, we were chatting away before leaving. Put down the tip, there was a candle on the table, my MIL (if I was married, but it'll do as a descriptor) put (threw) her napkin back onto the table as we were leaving. We left the place and as we did the fire alarm went off. We laughed with the staff who heard it, left the place, looked back in the window and realised that our table was on fire. She'd accidentally thrown the napkin onto the table candle and it had gone up in flames, just a bit slowly.

Anyway, yeah that was funny, my MIL and partner were mortified, I was more like "these things happen", and to be fair the staff didn't look too perturbed, joked about us being upset about the service times "If you were unhappy you don't have to burn the place down", etc etc. Though I suppose they have to be.

Good times. Nice meal too, if a little delayed. Their tip was saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ My fertile imagination had you catching your MIL taking the tip using the napkin as cover. But the fire is a good story too. 😂😂😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My missus has set a menu on fire, and, on one memorable occasion, her own hair...

Candles on tables, not sure they are always a good idea.

She had already burnt a hole in a menu at the start of the meal. Just full on determined to start a fire.

Anyway, tried the Ethan Cheblowski cornstarch slurry method (presume he didn't invent it but rather where I saw it) for making a parmesan sauce for pasta this evening. Worked out pretty well, might use it for other pasta sauces too. Simple sausage and broccoli pasta with some fennel seeds and light cheesey sauce.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sausage and mash with baked beans. That black gloop is caramelised onions overcooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

gee looks divine - been ages since my dinner.. salivating here.. i'm not veggie but I LOVE middle eastern food.. hmm.. houmous etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bone marrow butter and hangar steak

And baby turnips which were great. Think its the first time Ive had them

Thanks, The Nal. Now I've to go change my pants.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 514 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

It’s the cats birthday so she had a trio of chicken bonbons served on a bed of Ardennes pâté topped with chicken skin tuilles…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Lucky **** cat! (I bet it’s told the neighbours, it’s birthday’s next week).

• Advertisement

As always, KBizzle, your inventivness for your cat's birthday has me in awe.

I have to ask, do you cut it up for her, mush it to a paste or something, or sneakily eat it yourself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 514 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I chopped it up after she knocked it onto the floor and nearly under the couch…

Sounds about par for the course if it were my cats. You have inspired me to try make them something nice this birthday though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Beef stroganoff with mashed potatoes (using creme fraice) and green beans.

I can't believe a cat's dinner looks tastier than mine 😂🙈

Meatballs …

In the mix I use a mix of pork and beef, a lot of grated Parmesan, a few eggs, fresh breadcrumbs and the secret ingredient is a few glasses of water to make it into a quite wet mix. The breadcrumbs absorbs the water. That and the pork and the cheese conspires to make them really moist / soft to cut.

Asian chicken, sweet and sour pickled cucumber, gojuchang mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its now impossible to edit quotes, so I'm going to have to break the rules here...

Did the slurry method tonight - had been on the list since last week. Results were good, very smooth and extremely presentable sauce and the taste was fine.

But the smell... jaysus the smell. Blended cheese and extra virgin olive oil stinks, in a bad way. And it got worse while stuff was sitting waiting for me to load the dishwasher. Probably won't do it again. It may have been marginally easier, but wouldn't be if you don't have a dishwasher (far more stuff is used)

I honestly didn't notice a smell. That being said I dislike the taste of olive oil so I never use it, I use vegetable/rapeseed/peanut oil while cooking. Not sure if that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Influenced by TheKBizzle's empanadas, I made pasties/patties.

Spiced lamb, tomatoes, pine nuts, rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The small was basically the fruity / olive-y smell of olive oil (that I suspect you won't like also) mixed with all the volatile elements (so the smell of feet bit, for parmesan) of the cheese smell. Awful; and lingering.

I'm afraid the remains are in the freezer now. Really the filling looked just like minced meat with some flecks through it. Not very exciting.

Had the aul one over for dinner. Hadn't really much of a theme in mind, but it worked out that way. Caprese, beetroot/goats cheese salad, grilled pepper/squash/halloumi salad, bolognese.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Empanada filled with oven-roasted vegetables (cauliflower, sweet potato, peppers, onion) and kidney beans.

Cooked a fairly large feather blade (beef) on Sunday. Pot roasted it with onions, garlic, carrots, celery and red wine and served it with cabbage and pearl barley.

It was really tasty and we had the same on Monday. Yesterday, though, I made what was left into a tomato based ragu and had it with pasta.

It really came into its own in the ragu - so tasty.

The piece of beef, which was around €18 or €19 euros fed two of us for 3 meals and there's enough ragu for another 2 dinners in the freezer.

Using up leftover veg before delivery day tomorrow. Soy/sesame brocolli, cabbage with various spices.

My pickled red onions never look as good as that @Dave_The_Sheep. That bowl looks tasty.

My usual brands for soy sauce would be Pearl River Bridge, LKK, or Clearspring Tamari. Kikkoman is good too for the light variety. Do you have any favourites?

We need a dedicated thread for Chinese/Asian condiments.

Pearl River is what I'm using at the moment, no complaints here. Asiamarket.ie is my go-to for picking up ingredients.

• Advertisement

Lamb kebab with butter bean salad, mixed rice, broccoli.

Advertisement