Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Looks lovely but any fans of Uncle Roger will get be HAIYA'ing...

For reference, he's a comedian who critics famous chef's YouTube videos of Asian dishes. He goes to town on Jamie Oliver's Thai green curry.

One done nearly right

https://youtu.be/bs7dfCJaN1M

One done very wrong (Jamie Oliver)

https://youtu.be/vksB2S90FVY

The videos are NSFW with a little language and odd bit of innuendo but I find him fairly funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 497 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Sous vide fried chicken and some grilled corn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Too busy looking at your beautiful cat in this tbh! Steals the show 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh boy, did you send me down a rabbit hole with the Uncle roger link - I was laughing so hard!

Jamie does have some good recipes, but his forays into Asian cooking certainly are questionable.

Do it right or do it white :)

I think I've watched all his vijedoos at this stage, cracks me up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Burnt salmon.

Our oven broke while I was preheating it. Normally we bake salmon in the oven, so we had to pan fry it instead. I was trying to figure out what to do about the oven, so left himself to cook the salmon unsupervised 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mushroom and pecan pasta in a red wine sauce. My partner was not a fan. I loved it though, so screw her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭sporina

think i'd be with your partner on that - pecans and red wine sauce with pasta? no... mushrooms and pasta need a creamy white wine sauce.. nuts? not so much.. maybe pine nuts? (if any)

We would normally be doing a cream sauce with it, but I was trying to be slightly more calorie conscious given the month. Found this recipe, decided to give it a go. Sauce worked great with the mushrooms and the pecans (they were what I had in the press) gave it a bit of texture. Toasted them beforehand which helped flavour wise.

I'd add nuts to pasta dishes fairly regularly for the texture of it. Honestly assumed it was a fairly common thing.

Lentil cottage pie - perfect comfort food for a cold evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Made a delicious chilli con carne last night and had seconds for lunch today. Perfect bellywarming grub.

Moroccan chickpea, squash swede & cavolo nero stew from the BBC site. Matched what I had in the fridge and veg delivery this week, swapping swede for squash and bunging in some chicken about to go off, and I have to say it's really solid one-pot comfort food. Would recommend giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

thekbizzle the cat might of turned nose at grilledcorn but I hope he/she enjoyed some sousvide chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

I'm smothered with non Covid sickness so had some hot and sour soup from the Chinese to try to break through the nasal mugginess.

Didn't work, so I've gone back to bed feeling very sorry for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Steak tartare this evening. Delicious

Roast beef, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sprouts, stuffing and beef gravy from the roast juices.

None of which I could taste or smell because of my bunged up nose.

But I ate because I was starving and I knew I needed nourishment.

And I'm still Covid negative according to my antigen testing.

Worst head cold I've ever had.

Homemade falafel with homemade houmous on homemade flatbreads. I just LOVE messy food, even if I do need a shower afterwards 😅

Roast pork sous vide with mushroom cream sauce, braised cabbage, a leek and some roasties. Leftover pork made some nice rolls for lunch today.

Cold weather, so hot, filling food is a wonderful thing. I made us a lentil cottage pie.

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bit rustic, but pork tenderloin stuffed with garlic, chilli and Parma ham, peas with pancetta/mint/vermouth/shallot, brocolli with lemon and Parmesan and a load of roast spuds (cheated on these, they’re the frozen ones from Aldi).

• Advertisement

Those spuds look gorgeous.

No pic, but I wish I got one as it was a lovely looking dish.

I decided that we would have a salad night last night, January health buzz and all that*.

Mixed leaves, baby spinach, rocket with roasted peppers, lime grilled chicken and parmesan shavings topped with an aged balsamic, EVOO and mustard dressing.

*Crutons were fried and a "just in case this doesn't fill them up" batch of oven chips prepared... The chips were barely touched.

Assisted by my sous-chef/7 year old son who has really taken to the kitchen. Great times.

Kale, parsely and spinach pesto-esque pasta with roasted jerusalem artichokes. First time really cooking with these things, have to say they're lovely. Kinda half way between garlic and potato. Going to be getting more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Made some homemade pasta. No comparison in taste, so good. Easy too. Did a cacio e pepe type thing with it.

Pasta recipe from here https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/ravioli-sheeps-milk-ricotta-recipe

Do you have a pasta machine @The Nal ?

I do. Just the standard one like this. 80 quid I think.

Ive seen some of that cost 2 grand!!

Might pick up a dryig rack at some stage but with a bit of flour you dont really need one.

80 quid isn't bad. Not sure I have room for any more kitchen gadgets though!

On the subject of dried vs fresh pasta, I've tried both versions from Aldi and Lidl and to be honest I find the dried is much better. I suspect that actual home made fresh pasta would be a step up though.

Its miles better. Particularly that recipe I posted. Freezes and defrosts really well too. Takes sauce much better than any pasta Ive bought. Just a huge step up generally. And takes 2 minutes to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭sporina

• Advertisement

Dried and fresh pasta are two completely different things... Okay, not completely different but fairly different. Dried is made from semolina and water and fresh from eggs and flour, generally.

Dried is definitely better for certain pasta dishes like carbonara etc.

Fresh is brilliant though, and not as big of a job as it seems, once you get familiar with doing it a few times.

Advertisement