Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I've cooked leftover chilli in potato skins with cheese on top before. Probably not that different to having it with a baked potato though 🙈

A nice bit of crusty bread on the side would be really nice too though!

You could try a sloppy joe type of thing... basically just put it inside a soft roll. I've done that before with other mince dishes. So messy, but so tasty!

Maybe throw it on top of some nachos with guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc?

I wonder would it work well stuffed into a pepper and baked in the oven? With some salad and/or bread on the side.

Chilli also freezes very well if you want to just keep it for another time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Excellent suggestions. I'll definitely be freezing some alright.

Now to go make space in my freezer... Ugh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nachos. Burritos.

Or make soup. Take a couple of ladles of chilli, add beef stock, worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and bring to the boil. Add an extra can of beans if you like. Serve with fresh sliced chillis, scallions, sliced avocado and sour cream.

Hrm. The previous posts didn't show on my phone but are visible on my laptop. New boards and me are still not friends. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I'll second a sloppy joe with the leftover chilli. Messy as hell but damn good. Enchiladas or quesadillas would be good too. You could also use it for taco fries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can also do an arancini type thing. Roll up some chili into balls with some cheese in it, flour, egg, panko, deep fry. Yum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been insanely busy in work, then on a much needed brief holiday, and had today off so I'm restocking the freezer and deliberately looking for slightly different things to my usuals. Bought random ingredients and worked back from there, mostly.

This is simmering for freezing, will eat it with some fried boxty (shop at the end of the road sells good pre-made)

This is in the oven for dinner tonight - read the recipe on the flight on the way over so this is the one I bought ingredients for rather than figuring out from what I bought

And I'm going to do this, at least, tomorrow - but probably as a casserole-with-a-lid not a full pie

My random ingredient buying has left me with some cannellini beans, fresh chillis, way too much onions and a random selection of meat - pork mince, beef mince and picanha steak. Meatballs and bean stew maybe?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The halloumi/chorizo thing is really, really nice. Some aioli would maybe be the thing to serve with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

Could you copy/paste recipe? It is not available to view without subscription.

• Advertisement

Marinate sliced halloumi in olive oil honey, cider or wine vinegar and cumin seeds

Parboil some potato cubes in very salty water (you don't have an obvious chance to season anything else!)

Roast those, carrot batons, sliced red onion and chopped up chorizo, tossed in spiced fat (butter, oil, cinnamon, smoked paprika), turning a few times til they're maybe two thirds of the way done

Place the halloumi slices on top for the last third of the roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Look lovely. So versitile, last one I did had a bit of choppe pistachio and blue cheese.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Heh, I made a kind of arancini this weekend, too. Though it was fusion cuisine, really.

I had tried making Biryani (first time), and predictably overcooked it. I figured that what the Italians do with leftover risotto, I can do with leftover Biryani, surely? So, here they are : Biryani Arancini with a masala sauce and some chapatis. Worked very well, if I say so myself!

Hassleback potato, portobello mushrooms stuffed with cajun-spiced jackfruit and cream cheese, and some green beans.

Risotto with butternut squash, peas and chicken. Hadn't attempted a risotto in a long time, but it turned out pretty well!

Had some cauliflower and cavalo nero to use out of last weeks veg box, so roasted a bit with tumeric and curry powder and made a puree for later in the week to have with steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A bit late but apparently flour burritos freeze very well wrapped in tinfoil. I've seen it a few times before but... what's leftover chilli.

Matar Paneer, Aloo gobi and Jeera rice. I also made some chapatis, but made the dough a bit too wet so they didn't turn out the best.

Chicken in a creamy white wine* sauce with spinach, served with pasta and broccoli.

*Well, prosecco actually 🙈

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ribs! Lots of ribs. And mash with sweetcorn.

Happy thanksgiving everyone! 😋🇺🇸😝

Bones! Lots of bones!

(Why is one picture right and one wrong? 🤯)

So in-lieu of a Christmas bonus/party this year we got ... a homemade pizza pack. Thanks, work! It actually turned out surprisingly nice, even if I put too much extra cheese and stuff on so that I had to use a knife and fork.

I made this for dinner this evening - it was delicious 😀 (I didn't have a chance to take a photo).

Chicken, chorizo and butter beans in a tomato based sauce. Surrounded by a baby potato Stonehenge :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thank you, never knew about this ... I just tried, it removes "Paying" part, but I only see the ingredients, the rest of the page is missing. Any trick around that?

Post edited by sandra_b on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

A friend is giving us some Venison to stew.. anyone familiar with cooking a venison stew? any tips? don't want anything too fancy... i'm not a lover of the meat but I am gonna give it a lash just for something different

Korean takeaway. Bulgogi hansang set (kind of like bento), cheese and potato krokettes, and Dak Gang Jeong (fried chicken thigh) in honey garlic butter. Korean sweet chilli sauce (and some really really really hot sauce) on the side. Amazing. Dinner for two and loads of leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really, just treat it like beef if you want to keep it simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

yep! tried it once in Switzerland - didn't like it much but gonna give is a lash b4 xmas..

thanks - sounds good - we make a good stew... might leave out the stout though lol

Advertisement