Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chicken kiev - from Dunnes, not home made, with potato cubes (I boiled them first so they tasted like roast potatoes) and veg.

Now THAT looks really good! Those Kievs are delicious …

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Roast your cashews in the oven unsalted at 180 for 10-15 mins. Watch they don't burn.
    airfryers are great for this, does in about 5mins but you really have to watch the timing, they go really brown all of a sudden, also they remain hotter than the sun for ages after so do not be tempted to nick any sneaky ones. I make them for snacking on, there is not vat on raw unsalted cashews so they can be a good price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks a million Mystery Egg, I must give that a go :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

woodchuck wrote: »
    Thanks a million Mystery Egg, I must give that a go :)

If you're all prepped in advance it only takes a few minutes and it's very tasty. Genuine fakeaway.

rubadub wrote: »
    airfryers are great for this, does in about 5mins but you really have to watch the timing, they go really brown all of a sudden, also they remain hotter than the sun for ages after so do not be tempted to nick any sneaky ones. I make them for snacking on, there is not vat on raw unsalted cashews so they can be a good price.

I am still considering buying an airfryer. I've always wanted one but have never had the counter top space. However I've just moved to a new place so...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Do it ME, you won't regret it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

BaZmO* wrote: »
    My new favourite thing is sausage tray bake. Ridiculously simple but so satisfying.

That looks good.

Here's one traybake we like a lot, with chicken thighs, veg and feta. If we've got some, a sliced fennel bulb is good in it.
    Harissa chicken traybake with peppers & feta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Lemon and honey chicken, broccoli and rice cooked in vegetable stock and added spring onion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had leftover roast chicken so I made chicken fried rice. Doesn't look like much but it was yum.

20200829-185147.jpg

MIL cooked carrot and orange soup followed by rack of lamb, roast parsnips, potatoes and asparagus, with gravy and mint sauce, with rhubarb crumble, custard and cream and a nice French white. Rolled meself home I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

I had leftover roast chicken so I made chicken fried rice. Doesn't look like much but it was yum.

Had special fried rice from the Chinese tonight and I commented how I've never managed to make it myself that it tastes like a restaurant dish.
    I'd be interested in the recipe you use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Recliner wrote: »
    Had special fried rice from the Chinese tonight and I commented how I've never managed to make it myself that it tastes like a restaurant dish.

I saw recently a poster who mentioned the Tesco stir fry oil, I have some but not used it yet.

I bet a bit of MSG/Aromat would help too. Nothing wrong with it! And cold rice. Leftover in the fridge is best.

Light (not dark) soy sauce like Kikkoman, a little of toasted sesame oil, and fresh cut green onion.

Just my guesses...

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I saw recently a poster who mentioned the Tesco stir fry oil, I have some but not used it yet.

I bet a bit of MSG/Aromat would help too. Nothing wrong with it! And cold rice. Leftover in the fridge is best.

Light (not dark) soy sauce like Kikkoman, a little of toasted sesame oil, and fresh cut green onion.

Just my guesses...

It's definitely a flavour thing, I just don't how to recreate it. But I'll try that.

Recliner wrote: »

I used this recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-best-chicken-fried-rice-249769

Since I had leftover chicken I cubed it and added it to the cooked veg and stirred it for a couple of minutes. I cut the carrot into thin strips rather than dice so it would cook through, and I added a sliced onion with the carrot instead of sweetcorn. I didn't have red pepper flakes so I added a good amount of ground black pepper to the sizzling oil when the veg was just cooked and it gave a great flavour.
    I didn't bother with the nuts.

We liked it so much it's going to be a regular on the menu here :)

Edited to add: I used one of the Aldi trays (not the pouch) of microwaveable steamed long grain rice. It worked extremely well, it was light and fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Kasespatzle.jpg

No bacon in it, but cheese sauce made with real-smoked Cheddar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I always find that a little bit of sesame oil on a dish at the end always adds that distinctive “Chinese” flavour.

Smoked coley fried in butter, with basmati rice and a salad of tomato, onion, lemon juice and dill.

I was going to go the milk/potato/onion route, but got lazy and used a pouch of pre cooked basmati.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I used this recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-best-chicken-fried-rice-249769

Since I had leftover chicken I cubed it and added it to the cooked veg and stirred it for a couple of minutes. I cut the carrot into thin strips rather than dice so it would cook through, and I added a sliced onion with the carrot instead of sweetcorn. I didn't have red pepper flakes so I added a good amount of ground black pepper to the sizzling oil when the veg was just cooked and it gave a great flavour.
    I didn't bother with the nuts.

We liked it so much it's going to be a regular on the menu here :)

Edited to add: I used one of the Aldi trays (not the pouch) of microwaveable steamed long grain rice. It worked extremely well, it was light and fluffy.

Looks delisch - want to try this. :) Thanks for sharing, Dizzyblonde!

My old friend used to make a vinegary bacon fried rice - was addictive but nowhere near as nourishing as this recipe.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Looks delisch - want to try this. :) Thanks for sharing, Dizzyblonde!

My old friend used to make a vinegary bacon fried rice - was addictive but nowhere near as nourishing as this recipe.

Sounds great, doesn't it?

I've always been disappointed in take away fried rice. Seems very unhealthy and incomplete for what should be a wholesome meal.

I also love the Kitchn, great site with interesting culinary science experiments!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sunday roast today. Had to be a bit creative as the oven went on the blink. Luckily enough I have a double oven arrangement, although the the other “oven” is a grill that can double as a less efficient oven with no fan. Plus it’s a good bit smaller, so I had to spatchcock the chicken to roast it.

Relatively successful al things considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Ground beef, garlic, tomato ,corn & wholewheat rice in a stuffed pepper with cheese & l&p taster than it looked tough.

em_cat wrote: »
    Ground beef, garlic, tomato ,corn & wholewheat rice in a stuffed pepper with cheese & l&p taster than it looked tough.

Love stuffed peppers, was thinking of trying it just yesterday. My mam used make stuffed tomatoes for us way back, but with chicken style stuffing. So lovely.

What's very nice too is a halved red pepper (top to bottom, like boats) with anchovy, olive oil, garlic, thyme and I think cheese, roasted so all that lovely juice gathers inside.

Smoked coley fried in butter, with basmati rice and a salad of tomato, onion, lemon juice and dill.

I was going to go the milk/potato/onion route, but got lazy and used a pouch of pre cooked basmati.

Something similar tonight but with potatoes.
    (Korean chilli flakes on the fishl

IMG-20200831-011550.jpg

Cottage pie and mashed roots, courtesy of Supervalu, with freshly picked garden greens and a few last peas and broad beans...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Something similar tonight but with potatoes.
    (Korean chilli flakes on the fishl

Savage,it looks cooked to perfection. I love when it just falls apart when you put the fork in, looks like that. Nice crockery as well!

This Thai noodle was today, the stars of the show were particularly tasty jalapeños and carrots from the garden. I wanted something Asian resembling a takeaway and this was bang on. Thank merciful feck there's still some for today's dinner because it's going to be a mad one. Sad and all as it is, I'm reassured by the idea that there's something so delicious a few twists of the microwave away.

Also, dessert; apple crumble with apple jelly and homemade custard. I thought I'd be sick of apples by this week but I'll get a few more weeks of intaking about four a day before the cider is ready Mid-september.

524851.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Roald Dahl wrote: »

No bacon in it, but cheese sauce made with real-smoked Cheddar.

I think I'll make these next weekend. I absolutely love Spaetzle, but it's a little time consuming and messy making them.
    I'll have to find some Appenzeller now... good excuse to go to the English Market :D

Love stuffed peppers, was thinking of trying it just yesterday. My mam used make stuffed tomatoes for us way back, but with chicken style stuffing. So lovely.

What's very nice too is a halved red pepper (top to bottom, like boats) with anchovy, olive oil, garlic, thyme and I think cheese, roasted so all that lovely juice gathers inside.

My mother used to make them too and I've made them a few times, it's been years though. I'd forgotten about them.

Love smoked coley but of course like ice cream it is not possible to get it here. Rarely see fish … Enjoy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Creamy Chicken Garlic and Mushroom from Marions Kitchen.. very easy to make!

• Advertisement

We slow cooked a loin of bacon, then glazed it with honey and brown sugar, and baked it along with some garlicky baby potatoes. We then cooked a head of broccoli in the bacon broth.

Scrumptious dinner and even the baby ate some. :)

Advertisement