Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yellow wind weather warning from Met Eireann for all along the west coast tonight.
    xwBnSxH.jpg
    Stay safe, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Nw wind here with a serious bite in it, making dirty showers, hard weather on stock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Was ****ty in Manorhamilton earlier, dashes of hard rain, less ****ty in S Leitrim now but still indoor weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

Real touch of winter here this morning.

Snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,270 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    Real touch of winter here this morning.

Snow and ice.

Ye . Fairly cold alright. Going to football now, hopefully will get a parking space where I can watch from the jeep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye . Fairly cold alright. Going to football now, hopefully will get a parking space where I can watch from the jeep

Good bit of wet sleety rain on the way to dublin this morning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Dry and bright but bitter in the wind in the SE. Choose wisely which side of the house you work on.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Snow while ago for about 25 mins. Two wet to stay but fecking cold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Be janey it's raining!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Anyone think there is a bit of a stretch in the morning and evenings this week compared to the last few weeks. I know Saturday is the 21st but i thought the last 2 - 3 weeks were very dark in the morning and evenings were as this morning and yesterday evening seemed to be brighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fecking awful out there. Even the ducks went back in ...

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Anyone think there is a bit of a stretch in the morning and evenings this week compared to the last few weeks. I know Saturday is the 21st but i thought the last 2 - 3 weeks were very dark in the morning and evenings were as this morning and yesterday evening seemed to be brighter.

Father always says here November was always considered the darkest month.

Scientifically if you were to look at it, it would be because of moisture still in the air from the summer and autumn and upper and lower cloud cover.
    When December comes along it's usually cold enough that that moisture and perhaps dust is washed out of the atmosphere. In November if you get a weather system off the southwest of Ireland with the angle of the Sun it can bring in an early night.
    Then obviously if you're living in the Midlands as opposed to near the sea the air/atmosphere will be that bit more darker too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Source: Irish Weather Online

Today (December 14th) we will have the earliest sunset of the year. Contrary to popular belief, this does not occur on the shortest day (December 22nd this year).

Conversely, the latest sunrise occurs on December 30th, by which time sunset will already be occuring some 8-9 minutes later than today's time.

The reason that both of these do not occur on the shortest day is to do with the elliptical shape of the Earth's orbit around the sun. This causes the actual length of a solar day (as measured with a sundial) to be more than 24 hours around this time of the year, making solar noon occur later and later each day. Strange, but true.

The map shows the sunrise and sunset times for various locations around Ireland on these three days in December. Also note the difference in times between east and west, north and south.

Fergal - IWO

497895.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Orange wind warning for Cork this evening.
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1207310454223179776?s=19

I reckon we've floated out to sea at this stage..

There's maize ground with rivers of soil being washed off them this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wet and windy all day. Spent it drying off cows, hopefully it'll end soon this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Met Éireann have it spot on. Serious pick up in wind at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Odelay

Odelay wrote: »

Well this is a first. Had left the two wheelie bins lying down in their side, lids facing each other. Had a look out and the 3/4 full black bin has been blown away. Now sitting upright against a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Verrrry wet and windy here now. Mild though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Odelay wrote: »

That Sinead gowl didn't even mention this storm last night on the weather, only 30 - 40ml yellow rain warning in the east. Even the chart towards the end said "Storm" off the west coast, but it must have been over her head, god bless her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Power gone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Serious wind and driving rain here in Laytrim.Was out driving in it earlier and the amount of light branches down on country roads was serious.

Very pleasant out for Christmas Eve.

Bright, dry and not very cold.

No weather hazards in sight for Santa.

Cool but dry down here with a light breeze.
    I came across this tweet this morning, spare a thought for those struggling with weather extremes today.
    https://twitter.com/MatthewLuke66/status/1209652273732714496?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Cool but dry down here with a light breeze.
    I came across this tweet this morning, spare a thought for those struggling with weather extremes today.
    https://twitter.com/MatthewLuke66/status/1209652273732714496?s=19
    Eldest in Melbourne co-hosted a party/dance night last week and they raised 920 dollars for the Victoria fire service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

17* here yesterday and 16* today. The Hazels have put out their catkins.
    Crazy weather.
    Forecasted to turn colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Cloudy but mild @ 12 degrees. I heard a wood pigeon calling on Christmas Day and I heard him again a few minutes ago. I don't ever remember hearing one call at this time of the year.

Very mild out but drizzling all day here. Land gone very soft again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Drizzling all day. Chanced to cut a wet field as had some wetland wildflowers to sow. Been such poor weather last few months that had to do it before end of year. Got half cut ( mower/collector) before I got bogged. Local farmer had to tow me out.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement

Meah.....
    I don’t remember returning to work after the Christmas break being so dark.

Blustery here in Cavan and can feel first drips of rain in it too. Mild though.

Advertisement