Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's the car and generator filled up with fuel.

I'm now ready for the apocalypse Lorenzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just stopped raining

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Dry here now with odd bits of sun and a light breeze. Rained the majority of the night and yesterday. Back hedge cutting roads as tillage fields are gone too wet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The latest simulation on Windy.com has Lorenzo passing west of Ireland around midday Thursday. The epicenter will be about 150 miles out to see. God, if it nudges more east, it could wreak havok.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm wondering will they cancel it

Possibly veering towards probably
    If there was anywhere in the west you'd want to go to get hit by this,I'd say Achill is on the list
    Theres a rough idea where its headed but a 100 miles east or west makes a huge difference
    That kind of detail with these things can sometimes have to wait to within 12 hrs because they're so volatile

Quare windy here today but mostly dry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The latest simulation on Windy.com has Lorenzo passing west of Ireland around midday Thursday. The epicenter will be about 150 miles out to see. God, if it nudges more east, it could wreak havok.

I don't want to see hide or hair of it. Ophelia did fierce wreck here in Cork to crops of maize. Have a fine field growing here but not for myself. Needs another 2 weeks. We had a lot of rain last Saturday and yesterday. Severe wind now would flatten it. Would keel over from the root. Be a right dose to harvest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't want to see hide or hair of it. Ophelia did fierce wreck here in Cork to crops of maize. Have a fine field growing here but not for myself. Needs another 2 weeks. We had a lot of rain last Saturday and yesterday. Severe wind now would flatten it. Would keel over from the root. Be a right dose to harvest.

Same here, if this one goes up North along the West coast I presume it will have strong easterly winds, that did a lot of damage to mature trees around here last time. Ground is fairly saturated now too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wind was blowing from the North-North-West direction today. Never seen wind from that direction before.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Mortelaro wrote: »
    If there was anywhere in the west you'd want to go to get hit by this,I'd say Achill is on the list
    Theres a rough idea where its headed but a 100 miles east or west makes a huge difference
    That kind of detail with these things can sometimes have to wait to within 12 hrs because they're so volatile

Just got a text to say it's going ahead. They have a contingency plan in place

blue5000 wrote: »
    Same here, if this one goes up North along the West coast I presume it will have strong easterly winds, that did a lot of damage to mature trees around here last time. Ground is fairly saturated now too.

I've a lot of trees here mostly ash and all still in leaf but starting to shed. I'm expecting a few casualties. Had 4 big trees down after Ophelia and a lot of sceachs on ditches and limbs off more trees. Trees were nearly bare then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've a lot of trees here mostly ash and all still in leaf but starting to shed. I'm expecting a few casualties. Had 4 big trees down after Ophelia and a lot of sceachs on ditches and limbs off more trees. Trees were nearly bare then.

Reminds me I better test out the tractor generator here tomorrow, lucky its been like 2yrs since I've used it!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Reminds me I better test out the tractor generator here tomorrow, lucky its been like 2yrs since I've used it!

Wise move.

Don't bother listening to the ah shure it'll be grand voices. Them lads ''ll be running around like headless chickens if the worst does come to the worst. :pac:

We'll be (se) getting a cut from it on Thursday afternoon and then another cut from it Friday morning as the low passes over the country.

Damage will be done in the northwest and probably the midlands from Galway to Dublin as it moves over.

Met eireann trying to be too cool of a dude on this. Especially saying it's going to weaken from now on and as it arrives here when in fact it deepens a bit and gets stronger.

It's going to be a surfers dream with offshore winds and high seas.
    Gargantuan wave heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I see maize harvesters out today, snatching the crop, fields must be fairly soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Looks to be a fairblast of rain coming, afternoon Thurs then Fri night/ sat morn and Sunday night as well.

It might behave like storm Ali (and take the same route) which was strong around the west and northwest and Midlands during last years ploughing except a tad stronger
    That would be nasty enough but not too bad in the east and southeast
    If it traveled directly across the country ,say entering around Clare and pushed East northeast, all hell would break loose on its southern flank
    That would be a high level orange or red
    Best guess at the moment is it won't do that
    These things once caught up in the jet stream generally travel the same route as any weaker normal wind and rain event does ie up the west
    We won't know until tomorrow and probably tomorrow evening because models by then will have the give or take 200 miles down to give or take 100 or less

100 miles further away or closer is a HUGE difference in terms of wind speeds

The likes of George Lee is not helpful going on about 1000 km wide field of tropical storm winds because whilst the storm may be as deep or deeper milibar wise up our way than down the azores,it will be smaller in girth and circulation up here,more like half the wind field
    BUT
    And it's a big BUT,the reduction in size won't matter if it does s direct crossing of the island
    Up to 100 kms south of its track in that case there could be a lot of damage,storm Darwin style
    We'll know tomorrow anyhow hopefully

Mortelaro wrote: »

All the models have achill as the worst place to be in the country during this episode.

The uncertainty is zero at this stage.

It's madness in my view to be sending children over to such a place.
    I'll get castigated for this. But I don't care. That's my view.

They'll probably be on sleeping bags in the local hall with electricity from a generator. Maybe it'll be more fun that way and just sure I was an ould lad when I was born.

But that's just my view and opinion.

Not having a cut at you Whelan. But I don't think much of the Bean an Tighs or the school over this. It sounds like the money trumps all.

Edit: if they offered a plush hotel with all paid for and the outside doors locked..I might change my view.

No disagreement on what's ahead for Achill, it's only a question of how severe,not that it will be severe,that's the academic level of uncertainty there,I simply wouldn't go either,but I think that is a decision that will be made tomorrow

Theres lots of uncertainty for the rest of the country (away from western counties where it looks like a question of how severe) ,a question,both questions better answered tomorrow also

The trip to Achill has been postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The Rabbi

Timmaay wrote: »

Power went here this morning,I was finished the cows,so no panic.I decided to put on the genny to test it out and leave it on the tractor for the few days in case.No joy.It would work for a minute then cut out.Not many out there repairing generators.Oh fun it anyway.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Power went here this morning,I was finished the cows,so no panic.I decided to put on the genny to test it out and leave it on the tractor for the few days in case.No joy.It would work for a minute then cut out.Not many out there repairing generators.Oh fun it anyway.

Generators should get a run every few months with a load to draw current. They require a certain amount of residual magnetism in the windings to start working. Left idle too long the residual magnetism fades away and hence no power on start up.
    A dawk of a 12v battery in the right spot can re energise the magnetic field but you need to know what you're doing or you could destroy components

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Wise move.

Don't bother listening to the ah shure it'll be grand voices. Them lads ''ll be running around like headless chickens if the worst does come to the worst. :pac:

We'll be (se) getting a cut from it on Thursday afternoon and then another cut from it Friday morning as the low passes over the country.

Damage will be done in the northwest and probably the midlands from Galway to Dublin as it moves over.

Met eireann trying to be too cool of a dude on this. Especially saying it's going to weaken from now on and as it arrives here when in fact it deepens a bit and gets stronger.

It's going to be a surfers dream with offshore winds and high seas.
    Gargantuan wave heights.
    Anytime there is a storm I always have the buoy report app open to keep an eye on the wave heights - https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/buoys

Base price wrote: »
    Anytime there is a storm I always have the buoy report app open to keep an eye on the wave heights - https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/buoys

Yea that's a good one alright.

What surfers want is a rough sea and a strong wind coming from the land that pushes against that wave, increasing the wave height.

Screenshot-2019-10-01-20-54-07.png

Anyway this is what's showing for a few hours later.

Screenshot-2019-10-01-21-01-39.pngA whole west coast job there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Interesting tweet from Carlow Weather saying we'll get a good blast from Lorenzo.
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1179125439589052416?s=19

Yea that's a good one alright.

What surfers want is a rough sea and a strong wind coming from the land that pushes against that wave, increasing the wave height.

Screenshot-2019-10-01-20-54-07.png
    TBH I don't care about surfers as they choose to chase the waves in this type of inclement weather conditions. My problem is that their recreational activities compromises the Coast Guard/RNLI search and rescue missions for the men and women working at sea :(

Base price wrote: »
    TBH I don't care about surfers as they choose to chase the waves in this type of inclement weather conditions. My problem is that their recreational activities compromises the Coast Guard/RNLI search and rescue missions for the men and women working at sea :(

I couldn't care less either.

It's the weather and sea conditions and how they form and being able to forecast them that interests me.

Plus I get a perverse kick out of seeing the same charts as everyone else but coming to a different conclusion. :pac:

And but sure look the surfers follow the same forecasts as you or me and know the optimum weather forecasts and best places to do so. And seemingly the country is up there with the best places in the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Frost overnight around here. First of the back end.

It now seems certain that Lorenzo will cross the country
    No certainty on exactly where within a 100kms or so yet
    Strongest winds and heaviest rain to the south and west of the low
    Spikes in wind speeds near showers could happen anywhere even in the east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Glorious day today in Cavan, chillier now, but amazing how much the ground soaked when it got a chance.

Advertisement