Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainerroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hmm. Don't think so.

Maybe by other means you could copy the structure of a trainer road workout to a connectq store app that shows intervals??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hmm. Don't think so.

Maybe by other means you could copy the structure of a trainer road workout to a connectq store app that shows intervals??

Possibly so or created the workout on Garmin site but surely there is a less time consuming way?

Sorry don't think its easy.

I did hear on the podcast they considered it and even had a prototype for an official garmin app but they said it felt dangerous having to look down at the computer so much.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Sorry don't think its easy.

I did hear on the podcast they considered it and even had a prototype for an official garmin app but they said it felt dangerous having to look down at the computer so much.

Probably makes sense that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

dahat wrote: »
    Possibly so or created the workout on Garmin site but surely there is a less time consuming way?

Mount your phone on handle bars and run the workout. Assuming you have a bt power meter or don't care if the phone doesn't record the workout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

bp_me wrote: »
    Mount your phone on handle bars and run the workout. Assuming you have a bt power meter or don't care if the phone doesn't record the workout.
    Or OTG cable and your usual ant+ dongle. OTG cables a couple of quid on ebay, even from Irish located suppliers.
    Chumpski wrote:
    But yet in recent podcasts, particularly regarding beta testing, they've recommended mobile over desktop. Can't be much difference trying to follow on a handlebar mounted phone and and handlebar mounted bike computer?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    But yet in recent podcasts, particularly regarding beta testing, they've recommended mobile over desktop. Can't be much difference trying to follow on a handlebar mounted phone and and handlebar mounted bike computer?

Not much risk on a stationary trainer ;)

bp_me wrote: »
    Not much risk on a stationary trainer ;)
    Ah, I get it now. I only really do structured training indoors (I did try following a workout outside last year, manually created in Connect, but it didn't really work for me between wind, gradient, traffic etc.. Better than an aimless spin, but... I couldn't really pick my roads though as I was fitting it whilst waiting on the children.

As i'm about to finish Sweet Spot Base i'm in two minds as to what plan to follow next up.

My aims are A3 racing plus the W200 so it's one of Sustained Power or General Build for the 8 week block.

Any suggestions? I'm not a climber by any means so i'll need to be able to hold power to get over digs with short bursts of power needed also

There's relatively little difference in form between the the two build plans.

You could also consider the full distance triathlon plan though it's definitely not as 'peaky' as the other two.

• Advertisement

If not sure maybe try General?

I just finished that recently. First half is mostly threshold work, second half is VO2 max.

For road racing id say general or criterium plans. If you can road race well at A3, the W200 will be easy so i wouldnt worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

I'm new to Trainerroad and relatively new to cycling as well. Have started into sweet spot base and hope to continue a build and specialty phase after that. Just wondering what improvements people have seen in their FTP from following structured training? As of now mine is really low but only started cycling 2 years ago after persistent knee injury stopped me running. And tbh did very little cycling till I started trainerroad (less than 1,000km each year)

First base and build I saw a big jump - up 25%. That's stalled since, but with a few caveats...
    - I went through a good few months of doing shorter versions of at least one workout a week
    - I generally skip the Saturday workout to go out on a spin
    - I've dropped at least another 10kg in the time where ftp gains has slowed, so while in absolute terms I haven't seen growth, power to weight has gone up. Sticking to the plans has helped that weight loss even if nothing else!

Had a set of VO2 intervals set for yesterday but the days went against me plus I had to make an emergency dash to the supermarket as my power meter battery was dead. I was in the wrong frame of mind to attack a workout like that so when I abandoned with 3 reps left I wasn't surprised.

Bashful +2 was the workout, 90 secs at 125% x 5 with 60 secs rest. 3 sets of these was horrible.

I hate VO2 intervals....

First base and build I saw a big jump - up 25%. That's stalled since, but with a few caveats...
    - I went through a good few months of doing shorter versions of at least one workout a week
    - I generally skip the Saturday workout to go out on a spin
    - I've dropped at least another 10kg in the time where ftp gains has slowed, so while in absolute terms I haven't seen growth, power to weight has gone up. Sticking to the plans has helped that weight loss even if nothing else!

I'm hoping for more like a 80-100% increase over the course of the next 6 months, maybe i'm completely unrealistic.
    My thinking is that I'm new to training by power and I'm coming from a very low base, first ftp test was 126 watts.
    Weight isn't a major problem but still I'm hoping to lose maybe 6 kg, which would have me at 67kg

coco0981 wrote:
    I'm hoping for more like a 80-100% increase over the course of the next 6 months, maybe i'm completely unrealistic. My thinking is that I'm new to training by power and I'm coming from a very low base, first ftp test was 126 watts. Weight isn't a major problem but still I'm hoping to lose maybe 6 kg, which would have me at 67kg
    I think it depends how committed you are to training. I wasn't, and am still not, prepared to give up outdoor spins, which is probably what someone time limited has to do. It's either an outdoor weekend spin or a turbo for me with the children.

I think it depends how committed you are to training. I wasn't, and am still not, prepared to give up outdoor spins, which is probably what someone time limited has to do. It's either an outdoor weekend spin or a turbo for me with the children.

With work/kids indoor training actually works better for me during the week at least, can do a 60-90 minute before work. The structure of trainerroad looks great to my untrained eye. I'm expecting some good ftp increases initially, but obviously it's easy pickings at the start. If I could get to 200 ftp by year end I'd be happy enough

But again I'm new to this, so may be completely off with my logic

coco0981 wrote: »
    With work/kids indoor training actually works better for me during the week at least, can do a 60-90 minute before work. The structure of trainerroad looks great to my untrained eye. I'm expecting some good ftp increases initially, but obviously it's easy pickings at the start. If I could get to 200 ftp by year end I'd be happy enough
    Ah yeah, it's great to be able to be "minding" the children and get the work done, and I find TrainerRoad great in terms of training. I was new to structured training, and that's the type of gains I saw, but it will slow down - they themselves say 2-3% is realistic once you're over the newbie gains. They have a good podcast too - "ask a cycling coach".

Tested last night and 3% bump in FTP after this build block, but club races, sportives and other commitments probably mean while I'll get the cycles in I'll probably be down to one TrainerRoad workout a week (well I'll probably have a few Pettit/ Lazy Mountain easy/ recovery workouts, but in terms of the TR plan).

Incidentally, over 20 watts difference between last nights 20 minute test and the last ramp test I did. I'm not sure what that tells me - about me or the testing protocols!

Ah yeah, it's great to be able to be "minding" the children and get the work done, and I find TrainerRoad great in terms of training. I was new to structured training, and that's the type of gains I saw, but it will slow down - they themselves say 2-3% is realistic once you're over the newbie gains. They have a good podcast too - "ask a cycling coach".

Tested last night and 3% bump in FTP after this build block, but club races, sportives and other commitments probably mean while I'll get the cycles in I'll probably be down to one TrainerRoad workout a week (well I'll probably have a few Pettit/ Lazy Mountain easy/ recovery workouts, but in terms of the TR plan).

Incidentally, over 20 watts difference between last nights 20 minute test and the last ramp test I did. I'm not sure what that tells me - about me or the testing protocols!

Ya I'm enjoying the podcast, lots of useful stuff in it

I have a month's free trial to give away for trainerroad if anyone is interested in it

• Advertisement

FTP vs Ramp Test

I have done 3 tests this winter with an increase in ftp each time.

Ramp Test
    Ramp Test + 8 watts
    FTP Test + 15 watts

There was a 3 week gap between the ramp & ftp test so i highly doubt any major gains were made in this time to warrant a 15 watt gain. I have also lost some weight over this 3 test period so i'm more than chuffed with this winter so far.

I'd say the ramp test at 75% of the last minutes wattage is a bit off in comparison to the ftp test result. I'd say fitter and more experienced lads are better off with the ftp format for more accurate results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

How did your 5 min clearing effort watts compare to the 20 min effort in the 20min test?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

FTP vs Ramp Test

I have done 3 tests this winter with an increase in ftp each time.

Ramp Test
    Ramp Test + 8 watts
    FTP Test + 15 watts

There was a 3 week gap between the ramp & ftp test so i highly doubt any major gains were made in this time to warrant a 15 watt gain. I have also lost some weight over this 3 test period so i'm more than chuffed with this winter so far.

I'd say the ramp test at 75% of the last minutes wattage is a bit off in comparison to the ftp test result. I'd say fitter and more experienced lads are better off with the ftp format for more accurate results.

Are you doing the tests at about the same time? Same amount of sleep and food give or take? Same amount of stress each time? A lot of variable factors. I've done a few ramp tests and ftp tests in the morning as well as the evening and found those in the evening produce a much higher result for obvious reasons.

What ever test you decide to take make sure the conditions are replicated as much as possible for the subsequent tests.

As an aside, congrats on the gains and losses(weight). What does that currently put you at?

The difference a few months make - I'm 100% committed to the ramp test now. I've no idea which testing protocol is the best for FTP, but for training zones, I'm happy with my ability to complete workouts (particularly VO2 max) now compared with using the 20 minute test.

I don't think it is a straight 75%, not since beta testing. It's a % of final minute power, with a few other things to take into account the whole ramp iirc.

Anyway, I've brought into them having enough data and enough skill that if they reckon it works for setting training zones I'm happy to run with it. And not just because Jonathon finally asked on of my questions in last weeks podcast! :)

joey100 wrote: »
    How did your 5 min clearing effort watts compare to the 20 min effort in the 20min test?

The avg watts for the clearing effort was 63 watts higher.

Are you doing the tests at about the same time? Same amount of sleep and food give or take? Same amount of stress each time? A lot of variable factors. I've done a few ramp tests and ftp tests in the morning as well as the evening and found those in the evening produce a much higher result for obvious reasons.

What ever test you decide to take make sure the conditions are replicated as much as possible for the subsequent tests.

As an aside, congrats on the gains and losses(weight). What does that currently put you at?

Ramp test was pm & ftp am with different fuelling alright given the time of day. Going forward I'll replicate this week as that's the seco d time an am (6.45) ftp went well in terms of pacing etc.

As for the weight I'm down 9kgs since August with a gentle approach really. My eventual aim racing aim is 92kgs but I'll hold 95kgs if power drops out on me.

My ftp is high but in general terms it's a useless number as watts/kg is key really.

The difference a few months make - I'm 100% committed to the ramp test now. I've no idea which testing protocol is the best for FTP, but for training zones, I'm happy with my ability to complete workouts (particularly VO2 max) now compared with using the 20 minute test.

I don't think it is a straight 75%, not since beta testing. It's a % of final minute power, with a few other things to take into account the whole ramp iirc.

Anyway, I've brought into them having enough data and enough skill that if they reckon it works for setting training zones I'm happy to run with it. And not just because Jonathon finally asked on of my questions in last weeks podcast! :)

A VO2 tip they mentioned worked quite well for me recently. The 3 min intervals, start at a self selected cadence for 90secs - 2 mins then ramp towards a 100 plus for the remaining to try replicate surging at end of a race/climb etc.

What was the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Ramp test was pm & ftp am with different fuelling alright given the time of day. Going forward I'll replicate this week as that's the seco d time an am (6.45) ftp went well in terms of pacing etc.

As for the weight I'm down 9kgs since August with a gentle approach really. My eventual aim racing aim is 92kgs but I'll hold 95kgs if power drops out on me.

My ftp is high but in general terms it's a useless number as watts/kg is key really.

McCrystal or Shaw or even Robin Kelly would disagree with your last comment. You'll win plenty races especially the in Leinster with a high power output. Unless you're targeting the Shay or Ràs Mumhan.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    McCrystal or Shaw or even Robin Kelly would disagree with your last comment. You'll win plenty races especially the in Leinster with a high power output. Unless you're targeting the Shay or Ràs Mumhan.

I have manged to win one at 99kgs... Good old A4.

Of course there is always exceptions to any rule but generally a 92-95kg rating weight isn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I have manged to win one at 99kgs... Good old A4.

Of course there is always exceptions to any rule but generally a 92-95kg rating weight isn't ideal.

Yeah and I was probably 20kg lighter than you when you won in shannonside and I couldn't hold your wheel at the finish.
    I think youll be just fine

Advertisement