Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation runthrough

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Im kind of mixing things up a bit , I watched Where no one has gone before
    from season 1 the other night - you can really notice the difference between these episodes and episodes from S3+ - but still a great episode and really enjoyable.

Also watched Sins of the father from S3 and where I remembered this as being a good episode, I found it quite boring this time .

And ... The most toys from S3, great episode, the guy who played Fajo did a fantastic job.

Loved the way Data showed 'emotion' at the end ... was it anger ? or was he just being logical ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

All finished now. Had definitely seen All Good Things.. before, but had seen hardly any of S6 & S7.

Onto DS9 now!

Have you seen DS9 before? Having finished my run-through of it and jumping to TNG, it is just incredible how vastly different beasts they are - both tonally, in storytelling, characters, & everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think I watched the first 2 seasons, at least the first anyway (and the first season of Voyager).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just reached season 7 myself. It's... Really not the best start to a season, is it? In contrast to the early seasons, everyone seems almost too comfortable in their roles at this stage. Not much new and interesting going on.

Decent just isn't a good two-parter. Interesting concept, woeful execution. 'Liaisons' is good enough craic i guess, then we have Geordie's mother showing up dead and again, the episode feels much more dull and uninteresting than it could have been.

Onto Gambit now. Another two parter i don't have particularly fond memories of.

I know there's some great episodes later in the season though, and really looking forward to All Good Things, but feels like a long way to go before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Goodshape wrote: »
    Just reached season 7 myself. It's... Really not the best start to a season, is it? In contrast to the early seasons, everyone seems almost too comfortable in their roles at this stage. Not much new and interesting going on.

Decent just isn't a good two-parter. Interesting concept, woeful execution. 'Liaisons' is good enough craic i guess, then we have Geordie's mother showing up dead and again, the episode feels much more dull and uninteresting than it could have been.

Onto Gambit now. Another two parter i don't have particularly fond memories of.

I know there's some great episodes later in the season though, and really looking forward to All Good Things, but feels like a long way to go before that.

A gambit is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

A gambit is great!
    I wonder if Riker did spend a night in the brig at the end.

It's one of the few (two?) Captain Data episodes which is a concept I always liked.

Ive always been put off watching DS9 as a Ferengi is a main character - and I can't stand those cnuts ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ive always been put off watching DS9 as a Ferengi is a main character - and I can't stand those cnuts ...

Quark is a comic relief character, but is still pretty well rounded & written, including a good double-act with his "frenemy" Odo. He's by far the most-rounded of the Ferengi in TV Trek, although that does mean when he interacts with other Ferengi they come across as more cliché.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Quark is a comic relief character, but is still pretty well rounded & written, including a good double-act with his "frenemy" Odo. He's by far the most-rounded of the Ferengi in TV Trek, although that does mean when he interacts with other Ferengi they come across as more cliché.

I will give it a chance soon, I have no excuses since its on NetFlix ..

• Advertisement

I watched Brothers last night - always really liked this episode, loved the idea of the sub space homing beacon hard coded into Data :)

and of course who could forget that password -
    https://youtu.be/CVdg_1g5ukM?t=15

interesting - https://orbitalflower.github.io/20150522-how-strong-is-datas-password.html

And Tin Man - weird episode but I liked the idea of a living organism existing in space itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

A gambit is great!

Watched them last night and yeah, it was better than I'd remembered :)

Couple of things which stuck out in memory – the captain of the ship which captures Picard and Riker was quite unbelievably trusting and stupid. Was never even sure what his ultimate motivation was. And he looked too much like the bad guy from Ghostbusters 2.

And Picard as Galen felt too much like Patrick Stewart flexing his stage-acting muscles, than anything Captain Picard would have actually done. He was chewing up the scenery and not in a good way. We know PatStew can do better than this.

But apart from those issues it was pretty great! Fun seeing Data in command; nice back-and-forth there with first-officer Worf.

Advertisement