Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verbally Assaulted

Options
  • 30-10-2016 8:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

The other day while on the school run I parked my car on a public road for about 5 minutes.

When I got back to my car there was this old guy ranting and raving about not being able to get his car out of his driveway. For a second I thought that I had inadvertently blocked his driveway and immediate apologised and went around to take a look. Upon inspection, I could clearly see that I hadn't blocked his driveway at all. He was maintaining that I should park somewhere else in future. He was quite agitated.

I just shook my head and laughed and drove away.

However, this guy is clearly in the wrong and I'm left annoyed that he thinks that he has the right to verbally assault anyone he pleases whenever he likes for absolutely no reason.

Obviously this is simply not good enough. What actions, if any, are available to me with a view to both getting justice for myself for the assault and ensuring that he doesn't engage in this type of appalling behaviour again?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Record him with your phone next time and report him. I cant think of any other solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Rob32

Im assuming this is a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

Rob32 wrote: »
    Im assuming this is a joke?

It wasn't funny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Park there every day. See how long before he strokes out.

Edit; Is it an assault if he doesn't hit you? Is it not just an insult?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Record him with your phone next time and report him. I cant think of any other solution.

Hmm, I don't want to hang around his house trying to provoke him just so I can record him on my phone. It could be construed that I was the one in the wrong in that case.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Park there every day. See how long before he strokes out.

I was sort of thinking about doing that alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

Get your kid a bike and let them cycle to school

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Bring your complaint to the same place you complained about the note left in your windscreen and the "weakening of your wipers" as a result.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057426263/1/#post95378901

(On touch site, sorry!)

Get your kid a bike and let them cycle to school

What? Because of this deranged lunatic? I don't think so.

Bring your complaint to the same place you complained about the note left in your windscreen and the "weakening of your wipers" as a result.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057426263/1/#post95378901

(On touch site, sorry!)

This latest incident happened on the exact same road, just the other end of it. However, that time I had parked on double yellow lines but this time I hadn't done anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Verbally assaulted?

Ffs, I pity anyone who has to ever deal with you in a situation that doesn't go your way.

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Verbally assaulted?

Ffs, I pity anyone who has to ever deal with you in a situation that doesn't go your way.

Hey! Uncalled for. This idiot had a go at me for NO REASON so save your pity for him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

And yet you see no problem in firing a shotgun in a public place going by your other thread , you seem to have a penchant for the dramatic op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

You come across as rather vindictive and to go around crying assault for things as trivial as this and that you're considering parking there repeatedly in order to deliberately provoke this old crank to be honest doesn't paint you in the best of light.

Grow up and let it go.

Crying assault for this..... Dangerous attitude.....

mayway wrote: »
    Hey! Uncalled for. This idiot had a go at me for NO REASON so save your pity for him

I do pity him.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

I'd say there is a awful lot more to this story than the OP is letting on :D

"for about 5 minutes"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I do pity him.

Well then leave him be, while his drive may not have been blocked maybe he found it hard to get his car out. Agree with others it's far from assault and you seem to be seeking drama out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Edit; Is it an assault if he doesn't hit you? Is it not just an insult?

Going by the following from the 1997 act it would seem that yes verbal abuse could be taken as assault.

But I would think there would have had to have been a lot of curse words used or be in your face shouting and screaming.

Assault.

2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—

(a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

(b) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.

(3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.

(4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What? Because of this deranged lunatic? I don't think so.

Cycling - or walking - would be better for their health - generation snowflake needs to HTFU or they're in for an awful shock when they arrive in the real world!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The other day while on the school run I parked my car on a public road for about 5 minutes.

When I got back to my car there was this old guy ranting and raving about not being able to get his car out of his driveway. For a second I thought that I had inadvertently blocked his driveway and immediate apologised and went around to take a look. Upon inspection, I could clearly see that I hadn't blocked his driveway at all. He was maintaining that I should park somewhere else in future. He was quite agitated.

However, this guy is clearly in the wrong and I'm left annoyed that he thinks that he has the right to verbally assault anyone he pleases whenever he likes for absolutely no reason.

Obviously this is simply not good enough. What actions, if any, are available to me with a view to both getting justice for myself for the assault and ensuring that he doesn't engage in this type of appalling behaviour again?

Any thoughts?

Jesus wept. Would you not consider getting a life?

• Advertisement

I do pity him.

So do I.

Cork Lass wrote: »

Any thoughts?

Jesus wept. Would you not consider getting a life?

I have a life thank you. And it was in the course of this life that I happened upon this dismal idiot.

So do I.

Yeah, I've just read your last thread and it's safe to say, you're a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

How close to his drive way did you park?

If this is the second time you've been pulled up about your parking, I can't help but think that there must be some truth to both persons complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I have a life thank you. And it was in the course of this life that I happened upon this dismal idiot.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It seems to be a very contentious issue in the area.

The school have sent out letters.

Residents sick of ppl parking on double yellow lines.

Someone sticking said letters on offenders cars.

The residents are complaining about being blocked in.

We have a school near us and at certain times both sides of the road at the entrance to the estate are full of parking leaving little room to get in and out. Certainly very dangerous if a child ran out behind a car.

We've actually requested yellow lines to be painted there.

Maybe it's a similar situation and the residents have had enough of inconsiderate parents?

Certainly trying to aggravate the situation with the cranky aul fella shows a very immature and confrontational attitude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Did he threaten you?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We are supposed to take your word that you didn't block his drive and he went off on one unprovoked???

More to this than than your saying. And if I was a betting man I'd say your one of those ass holes who dump their cars anywhere dropping little precious to school cos your were too lazy getting out of bed to get there early and park properly.

So do I.

Yeah, I've just read your last thread and it's safe to say, you're a troll.

That must be true because you wrote it on the internet. You're calling me a liar now. That sort of makes you a .......

If course, I can't say because the Internet police will all get semis and start giving out. Don't post on my thread again please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

anewme wrote: »
    It seems to be a very contentious issue in the area.

The school have sent out letters.

Residents sick of ppl parking on double yellow lines.

The residents are complaining about being blocked in.

We have a school near us and at certain times both sides of the road at the entrance to the estate are full of parking leaving little room to get in and out. Certainly very dangerous if a child ran out behind a car.

We've actually requested yellow lines to be painted there.

Maybe it's a similar situation and the residents have had enough of inconsiderate parents?

Certainly trying to aggravate the situation with the cranky aul fella shows a very immature and confrontational attitude.

The two schools near us were recently re-built.....and fine cathedrals of education they are too.

As part of the re-development, a good chunk of the site was given over to providing a one-way, drop off system so parents wouldn't have to park on the narrow lane while dropping off their precious darlings and so buses could pull in and park.....it means the kids lost a good chunk of their yard, but hey, why do they need the exercise anyway.

Guess what? Idiot parents still park on the lane and still double-park rather than use the drop off system - maybe it's the kids who should be driving and send the parents in for a bit of education :D

As an aside, I counted the bike racks in the school - 8 for over 450 kids, plus we live about 500m from the school gates and about 75% of the neighbours who have kids who go there, drive them!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement