Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't we leave the clocks on summertime year round?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I hope that we have a different time zone to London and Belfast and that the hard border is reinstated, would make their failed state-let even less tenable and help to force a United Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭Frunchy

As long as you don't mind it not being bright till well after 9am around the shortest day.

I'd much rather it be bright when I finish work. In the depths of winter, most people are going to work in darkness, regardless of daylight savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hurrache wrote: »
    Who cares, you'll be in or on the way to work the majority of the time anyway.

Think of all the summer events that may be curtailed because of the darker evenings?

You'd be a madman to shorten the daylight hours.

Sunset around 9pm would mean dusk until 10pm. What kinds of events would be curtailed?

I’ve always found the dark December and January mornings depressing as it is, so wintertime for me. I would hate darkness post 9am. Early darkness in the evening doesn’t bother me half as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

At the Liam Gallagher gig it was almoat still bright when he left the stage... long summer nights ruin outdoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I have no idea what that graphic is supposed to tell me, much less what the choices are. "do you want to have to put the clocks back and forward?" is a yes or no question, pick spring or autumn to stop doing it, does anyone care which?

The annoying part is having to do it, not what time the sun officially comes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

was in Iceland this time last year and it was still really dark past 9am - was the strangest thing, so hard to get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

As long as you don't mind it not being bright till well after 9am around the shortest day.

Near enough to ten in early January. But summertime probably better of the two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You'd be a madman to shorten the daylight hours.

I think you'll find its impossible to shorten the amount of daylight hours we get

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sunset around 9pm would mean dusk until 10pm. What kinds of events would be curtailed?

Obviously any sporting event that currently continue until around 9pm or later in the summer for example.
    Seve OB wrote: »
    I think you'll find its impossible to shorten the amount of daylight hours we get

You need to think big, Lex Luthor or Mr Burns style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I don't mind it,it's the way mother nature intended it in this part of the world before "daylight saving" was invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

theguzman wrote: »
    I hope that we have a different time zone to London and Belfast and that the hard border is reinstated, would make their failed state-let even less tenable and help to force a United Ireland.

We already have.

Irish Standard Time is +1hr compared to Greenwich Mean Time

I voted to keep us on IST all year.

If they do the opposite on the continent and stop going forward an hour in summer, it would align us to Central European Time all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

I have no idea what that graphic is supposed to tell me, much less what the choices are.

Do you mean the pie chart titled "Poll:Should we leave the clocks on summertime?" or is there another graphic somewhere?

I don't mind it,it's the way mother nature intended it in this part of the world before "daylight saving" was invented.

No it isn’t the way nature intended. We didn’t have GMT in this island until WWI which is exactly when daylight saving was first introduced. Ireland should be on average GMT+1/2.

(Which actually works as a compromise).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

At the Liam Gallagher gig it was almoat still bright when he left the stage... long summer nights ruin outdoor gigs.

Thats very valid. If it was dark during his gig we might have been spared the video of the pissed man hoisted up the air utterly naked during the show. It might have been written off as a full moon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The ideal scenario for Ireland is that we have a shorter 'wintertime, say late Nov. to start of Feb.

This would allow for bright mornings and also allow for bright evenings from Feb. onwards

Unfortunately that is not one of the options though.

The ideal scenario for Ireland is that we have a shorter 'wintertime, say late Nov. to start of Feb.

This would allow for bright mornings and also allow for bright evenings from Feb. onwards

Totally agree, but not – as you say – one of the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

Totally agree
    Why does winter time start approx 7 weeks before the shortest day of the year but summer time doesn't kick in until 14 weeks after the shortest day of the year?
    I'd it was symmetric, say 6 weeks before to 6 weeks after I'd be in favour of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Obviously any sporting event that currently continue until around 9pm or later in the summer for example.

Dusk goes on well past sunset. I can’t see many sporting events being effected seeing as it’ll still be quite bright at 10pm in midsummer.

I’m going against popular opinion here but I don’t care for it being dusky until 11pm in midsummer. I don’t think there’s that much you can do with it. Outdoor concerts are better when it goes from dusk into darkness. Sunset at 9pm is perfect, IMO. When it’s night, I like it to look like it.

As for winter, the days are short and there’s no getting away from it. It’s cosier to have the darkness in the evening, IMO, especially over Christmastime. I’m not working but if I was, morning brightness would mean more to me as it corresponds to the body winding up for the day. When work is over, I’d be winding down anyway. Most people finish work at 5pm or 6pm so what good is the later sunset really? The idea of a post-9am sunrise hurts my soul. I loathed the darkness of January mornings when I’d be getting ready for school as a kid and it has stayed with me. And this would be worse again, a full hour later for sunrise.

golf
    people are forgetting about golf.
    we need 24 hour light so that we can play golf whenever we want to
    brighter evenings means we can go out and play golf for longer after work

I don't care at all if it's dark in the morning when I start working.

I care if it's dark in the evening during my free time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes, I have often wondered why, even under the current system we have to wait so long for the clocks to change in March.

Does anyone know why Wintertime as it is now is so long, starts end Oct and ends end March?

Often wondered about that.

But anyway, no choice to question that in the survey.

I opted for Summertime. Why oh why would Wintertime all year be a selection at all, sounds grim!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Frunchy wrote: »
    I don't care at all if it's dark in the morning when I start working.

I care if it's dark in the evening during my free time.

You will be told that children going to school in the dark will be at risk, whereas the vast majority are ferried to school by car or school bus really. Others are walked to school accompanied. Older children will just get on with it.

And then you will be told that the animals on farms will have jet lag or something. :P

Mornings are safer in the dark than in the evenings when people are tired and stressed after a long day IMO. But anyway.....

I opted for Summertime. Why oh why would Wintertime all year be a selection at all, sounds grim!

I totally agree.
    I really am surprised though with the number of people who seem to like it as an option!

I would go one more step
    bring in summer time year round
    and then bring the clocks in line with continental europe....... a further hour of brightness in the evenings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭prunudo

Seve OB wrote: »
    I totally agree.
    I really am surprised though with the number of people who seem to like it as an option!

I would go one more step
    bring in summer time year round
    and then bring the clocks in line with continental europe....... a further hour of brightness in the evenings :)

Sounds good, sure who doesn't like it being dark at 11am in the morning.

Today, a wet overcast morning, it was still dark at 8am. Not pitch black but still dark enough to say it wasnt daylight. That would be 9am with all year summertime, so you'll basically have 2 months of the year (December & January) where it will be dark after 9am.

jvan wrote: »
    Today, a wet overcast morning, it was still dark at 8am. Not pitch black but still dark enough to say it wasnt daylight. That would be 9am with all year summertime, so you'll basically have 2 months of the year (December & January) where it will be dark after 9am.

So? You'll be at work. Better than it being dark in your free time.

Frunchy wrote: »
    So? You'll be at work. Better than it being dark in your free time.

I work outdoors, all year summertime will have an effect on how I go about my day to day work.
    All it will mean is that I have to work later to make the most out of the daylight.

But I'd love to have one of these jobs where you're at home before 6 to make the most of these supposed long evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

jvan wrote: »

But I'd love to have one of these jobs where you're at home before 6 to make the most of these supposed long evenings.

Well, tbh, you changing jobs sound a lot simpler than us rearranging the clocks around your working day.

Well, tbh, you changing jobs sound a lot simpler than us rearranging the clocks around your working day.

I'm honoured, didn't realise the changing of the clocks was for my sole benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

People love to blame this and long summer school holidays on farmers.

Neither has anything to do with farmers.

Advertisement