Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Glasgow Warriors.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't really add much that hasn't already been said. It was a fitting tribute to Anthony Foley.

Tyler Bleyendaal was brilliant, that was the performance we have waited two years for. He and Scannell were levels ahead of their match against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well done yesterday.

Stunning performance from a team that have always been more than capable of it. Munster were never going to lose that game but to do it with 14 men was outstanding.

I can't say this enough, what has happened to John Ryan? He's absolutely outstanding. Like amazing! I genuinely thought that scrum was going to end up outside my grandmothers house in Ballynanty.

Scannell is a class act as was Sweetman and having never been a huge fan of Zebo, I couldn't fault him.

The face on Hogg said it all for Zebos try. That was Lions class stuff!

Outstanding performance and a great way of sending Axel off!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Peter Stringer was at the game yesterday, having gone to the funeral and then played 80 minutes the night before. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Advertisement

Saturday made me immensely proud to be a supporter, I think Munster managed Saturday to perfection. Huge credit to Glasgow too, they were very respectful pre & post match.

On the match itself I thought we were close to perfection, we made Glasgow look poor. Earls could have got a yellow but red was probably the correct decision, I thought his red card might have allowed Glasgow back into the game but in fairness Zebo and Sweetnam worked their socks off so as not to allow Glasgow space. Glasgow tried to exploit the space behind us a few times but luckily for us they over kicked the ball at least twice.

I'd have given MotM to Killer, POM or CJ but I can understand why Sky gave it to Bleyendaal. He was like ROG of old, dictating the game to forwards, marshalling them to where he wanted them or the ball and his lines he just knows when and where to be and go. You can see why Munster went after him and I'm delighted we kept faith in him through his injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

phog wrote: »

I'd have given MotM to Killer,.

surprised many quarters didn't mention his performance more, thought he was immense, but i get that no matter what the occasion singling out everyone kid of missed the point in singling out..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

POM and TOD made the Telegraphs team of the weekend.

Others from the Irish Provinces to make it - Charlie Piutau and Stuart Olding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/10/24/champions-cup-team-of-the-weekend-who-makes-our-xv/alex-goode/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Just watched the replay. Inspiring game to watch, apart from Earls trying to spoil the day. Great tribute to Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

degsie wrote: »
    apart from Earls trying to spoil the day.

That's what he was doing alright, sure he wanted to spoil everyone's day.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That's what he was doing alright, sure he wanted to spoil everyone's day.

It was his attitude leaving the pitch that annoyed me, not in keeping with the spirit of the day.

It was his attitude leaving the pitch that annoyed me, not in keeping with the spirit of the day.

He was seeing red, both figuratively and literally.

He'll not have been happy that he lost it, but given the context, I'm letting him off without too much hassle.

He was seeing red, both figuratively and literally.

He'll not have been happy that he lost it, but given the context, I'm letting him off without too much hassle.

Fair enough, he may have been just overwhelmed by the occasion. Just can't remember a player acting like that in quite a while.

Fair enough, he may have been just overwhelmed by the occasion. Just can't remember a player acting like that in quite a while.

We haven't really seen an occasion like Saturday's before though.

If Earls faces sanction for both the on-field and subsequent off-field actions that's fair enough (on both counts).

I don't think it counts much against his character that he lost it though. Not an easy situation to empathize with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He was incredibly pissed that he was finishing early on a day that was incredibly tough for him and all the squad. Anyone in that position would have been pissed off and acted like that as leaving the pitch. I don't think he deserves any criticism for his attitude....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A bit of context considering the week hecand rest of team put down ,he'll have been so pissed with himself at been red carded and felt he let the team and axel down ,he didn't set out intentionally to tackle that way but the red card was correct .if twas me you or anyone else on Saturday we of all proably reacted the same

mahoney_j wrote: »
    A bit of context considering the week hecand rest of team put down ,he'll have been so pissed with himself at been red carded and felt he let the team and axel down ,he didn't set out intentionally to tackle that way but the red card was correct .if twas me you or anyone else on Saturday we of all proably reacted the same

Yeah, fair enough. I was a bit harsh. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the result and I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Rassie on the Red Card:
    Sympathetic
    As for Keith Earls’s red card, Erasmus was sympathetic for his player and didn’t quibble with Jerome Garces’s call. “It’s probably one of the single times in my entire coaching career that I could actually understand his actions, that tackle. It’s emotion, he’s psyched up, then the hooker’s momentum going a certain way. And probably the referee made the right call there.”

“But it’s almost understandable in a way. Because it is tough to control your emotions, you could see the way we scrummed and mauled, that there was a lot of emotion in there along with the technique. And then Keith was really up there emotionally.

“He spoke at half-time, what he told the guys at half-time was that we were in the game and we can still win it the way we want to do things. He’s obviously now a bit sad about that but with us getting the win and him helping us through the game, with his input and technical knowledge, he was still part of it up until the end.

I almost understand what he did under the circumstances. I’m not saying it was the right thing to do, I just understand what happened.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

jm08 wrote: »
    Rassie on the Red Card:

Perfectly summed up I think. Fair play Rassie.

Nice gesture by Bleyendaal
    After the game, Bleyendaal was presented with his Man of the Match award but it never saw his mantlepiece. The New Zealander travelled to the home of Olive Foley and presented her with his well deserved accolade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Was very impressed with him the last day, strikes me as a very smart player. Here's hoping his fitness holds up, he could be exactly what we need to get the backline going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Very poor response to the decision by Earls - we don't want to see that creeping into rugby. I thought Flannery was measured in what he said about the ref being consistent on such tackles. To my eye, the player seemed to land more on his back than head or neck but Earl's tackle was dangerous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Very poor response to the decision by Earls - we don't want to see that creeping into rugby.

Earls response was totally understandable with the day that was in it. If it occurred on any other occasion I'd agree with you, but not that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I'd be inclined to give the lad a pass. Red was fair enough if a bit harsh. I think the ban excessive as there was no malice even against the letter of the law. He has paid a high price as it is and hopefully he'll get gamete in November.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to give the lad a pass. Red was fair enough if a bit harsh. I think the ban excessive as there was no malice even against the letter of the law. He has paid a high price as it is and hopefully he'll get gamete in November.
    gamete

noun/BIOLOGY
    a mature haploid male or female germ cell which is able to unite with another of the opposite sex in sexual reproduction to form a zygote.
    :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

:confused:

autocorrect for gametime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Very poor response to the decision by Earls - we don't want to see that creeping into rugby. I thought Flannery was measured in what he said about the ref being consistent on such tackles. To my eye, the player seemed to land more on his back than head or neck but Earl's tackle was dangerous.

Meh...I thought the crowds response was worse- while I understand the booing that accompanied the card being shown, the amount of 'shushing' that had to be done to get lads to shut up while the penalty was taken wasn't right. Emotions were high and those same emotions made Earls do a lot of work in the 20 mins he was on the field.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we can close this thread now so that this match is remembered for the right reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement