Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Castres 15/10/2016, RDS, 3.15 - BT Sports 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He again took away their territorial kicking game. He was one of our few backs getting supporting lines right after our breaks in the first half. Won the ball in the air in Castres' half and forced a knock on from a similar kick giving us possession on the edge of their 22 both times from Carberry's kicking. He stood in at first receiver on numerous occasions. He's in very strong form these days but people have their mind made up before he takes the field.

I don't have my mind made up. I watched the game. He was fine. He wasn't excellent in the sense of "wow, what a game from Kearney".

Just like you say people have their mind made up that he is not as good as he was, there is also a little coterie who are defending their man to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I don't have my mind made up. I watched the game. He was fine. He wasn't excellent in the sense of "wow, what a game from Kearney".

Just like you say people have their mind made up that he is not as good as he was, there is also a little coterie who are defending their man to the end.

What do you mean by a coterie defending him to the end exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just hope that sloppy finish won't cost us at the end of the pool stage. I really think we left a few tries left out there. Other than that, very pleased with the performance and result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Created a ton of chances which is good. There were times of the last few years where Leinster were desperate at that. Hopefully their finishing will improve. Been saying that for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Thrilled with that. In terms of units I think the maul defence really needs work but otherwise that was excellent.

No problem with Carbery making the step up. I'm getting seriously excited about Ringrose, this guy is the real deal. Everything he does shows class and composure.

He'a quality. I liked how at the end he was covering after Carberys left footed grubber got blocked, Ringrose did well to get the ball and get away a solid clearance on his left foot down he field under pressure. Something quite simple, but done very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

BO'D the best at rugby and the opposite commentating ....dire. Shane Jennings born for the mike and great analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

swiwi_ wrote: »

This is true.
    Haven't seen any of today's game yet so I've no contribution to make to the Kearney debate.

I do think that Kearney has to earn (or re-earn) some of the plaudits back that he justifiably had in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So much to be pleased about today.

The utter dominance in the scrum, lineout and maul.
    Carbery looks the real deal.
    Henshaw is going to turn out to be a great signing.
    But he will never be as good a signing as Nacewa.
    Healy continues his resurgence.

Delighted with that win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Delighted with that win.

Is that a little poem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Delighted with that win.

Sorry the maul defence was crap, just the same as against Munster. Otherwise I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Observations....
    • Carbery is unreal. He has to be capped in November, ideally a start versus Canada.
    • The scrums weren't great until Mike Ross came on.
    • Maul defence is not great; that's what ultimately led to McGrath's sin bin.
    • Speaking of McGrath, his passing wasn't as good granted but Carbery tended to sit back more than Sexton so the passes were going to be a bit more over the shop. Still, he can done better.
    • Cronin had a massive game in the loose. It's like having 3 flankers at times.
    • More ruthlessness is needed, even after the bonus point. Castres were good for a 40 point gap today; in a tight group it will tell come January.
    • Isa. I'll go this far; better than BOD.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I thought Kearney was quite good today, faded a little as the game progresses but at that stage he had done everything asked of him.
    Himself and ringrose have a good understanding and he was hitting the line in very good positions at speed. After today I wouldn't be as worried if he's named 15 in Chicago, but I do think he has to win in it off TOH currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Also, what about Ian Nagle? Thought he was very good today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

molloyjh wrote: »
    Also, what about Ian Nagle? Thought he was very good today.

Yes, worked his arse off the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nagle could end up cited after jumping on that guys head, but he'd be unlucky because he got pushed a little bit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

TG4 have highlights tonight at 11:10 for anyone who needs them. Assume they'll show the Connacht ones too, if not all the matches.

Nagle could end up cited after jumping on that guys head, but he'd be unlucky because he got pushed a little bit

Didn't see that in the ground. Will keep an eye out when watching the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It was a scary incident and its a relief he is OK but it would be a harsh citing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

He won't get cited, it was purely accidental..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Connacht2KXX

Surprised that so few people have mentioned our terrible ball retention, especially at ruck time. We seemed to arrive very late to the breakdown and also committed very few numbers to clear it out. We conceded a number of penalties due to Castres players getting latched onto the ball before anyone arrived to clear it out. I think they got 2 clean steals in total.
    We also committed virtually no one to their rucks. It seemed like we set up with 2 pillars with no one trying to make a poach or disrupt their ball (think Heaslip got one turn over and Vdf made 2 attempts at slowing their ball down). This allowed them to make easy breaks close to the fringes. Their second try came from them picking and going 2 or 3 times and made about 10m due to our awful pillar defense system.

Dont think the ref knew what was going on in the scrum in the first half. Their loosehead was getting mauled by Furlong yet somehow, he only awarded one penalty to us.

Carberry is the new messiah. 4 linebreaks with 120ish metres ran and 11 defenders beaten is insanely impressive for a 20 year old's HC debut. Should get a cap against Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

I was at the match.
    The ref was pretty weak I thought, his oddest decision being the penalty try for Castres. He sin binned Luke McGrath for pulling down a maul!!
    Luke McGrath pulled down 7 or 8 Castres forwards??
    He should get a medal if he did that all by himself !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He carded him for entering the maul from the side.

Surprised that so few people have mentioned our terrible ball retention, especially at ruck time. We seemed to arrive very late to the breakdown and also committed very few numbers to clear it out. We conceded a number of penalties due to Castres players getting latched onto the ball before anyone arrived to clear it out. I think they got 2 clean steals in total.
    We also committed virtually no one to their rucks. It seemed like we set up with 2 pillars with no one trying to make a poach or disrupt their ball (think Heaslip got one turn over and Vdf made 2 attempts at slowing their ball down). This allowed them to make easy breaks close to the fringes. Their second try came from them picking and going 2 or 3 times and made about 10m due to our awful pillar defense system.

Dont think the ref knew what was going on in the scrum in the first half. Their loosehead was getting mauled by Furlong yet somehow, he only awarded one penalty to us.

Carberry is the new messiah. 4 linebreaks with 120ish metres ran and 11 defenders beaten is insanely impressive for a 20 year old's HC debut. Should get a cap against Canada.

Carberry needs to develop a bit more but he is almost there. Paddy Jackson didn't benefit from his early exposure to international rugby and whilst I think Carberry is more rounded a player now than Jackson was then I still think a few more starts in the pro12 are in order.

At a basic level, he needs to be able to take his kicks so that we aren't having to start an experienced kicker somewhere on the field. As I mentioned in another post, he rightly avoided the breakdown but a couple of times there were steals right in front of him and he stayed out of it (seemed to be more positioned at 13 / 15 at that stage of the game).

He was absolutely top drawer in his decision making today, and he is deceptively quick also. Massive that we've unearthed him, credit to Graham Henry or whoever it was!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Surely Carbery should be allowed kick at the start of a few games and if it's really not going well change it?

Did anyone spot the dive by Rory Kockott in the 73rd minute?

He put Nicolas Sanchez to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

scott1974 wrote: »
    He won't get cited, it was purely accidental..

Intention is not the criteria by which citings happen.

Control should come into it though. He didn't behave recklessly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

He jumped up to try and block the boxkick and as he jumped off the ground he got a shove off the castres pillar. I think it wouldnt be right to be cited, and if he is, there is a good case to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I only got to see the highlights on TG4, but to score a try whilst down to 14 men was impressive.

That doesn't happen often. Great awareness by Nacewa and he finished it well.

• Advertisement

There's no way he can be cited for that. He never would have landed on the guys head but for the push he got in the air. It would be crazy to cite him for not being able to counter act the laws of physics.

Advertisement