Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Castres 15/10/2016, RDS, 3.15 - BT Sports 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

funtime93 wrote: »
    What is with the commentators pronunciation of Kirchner

Scots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Incredibly frustrating finish to this game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah jesus lads. Precision in the redzone has been abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Sexto getting the Rog treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Noel 'punchy' reid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

TeoReid wrote: »
    I dunno lads. Pen try means certain try would have been scored, right? Didn't look certain there to me particularly if you compare to the one in the first half. Bit harsh but will take it obviously.

I think the scrum before should have been a penalty try. Like u I fail to see how the one given was more than a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Good job, need to be a little bit more clinical but 5 points so I'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭TeoReid

Bonus point win. Another 10 you can rely on in the squad. Scrum going very well. Maul great.

Big things to work on are being better at cleans outs at ruck time, couple of turn overs near their try line. Execution in the 22 on anything that wasn't a maul was a bit dodgy at times.

But lots to look forward to I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Sexton should move to Munster or Connacht if he's serious about getting game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Good win, 5 points.

But Castres were woeful really.

Montpellier will be a much better gauge.

The 10,12,13 axis looked good.

Might be worth starting the Maori fulla next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Carbery beat 11 defenders. :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Good win, 5 points.

But Castres were woeful really.

Montpellier will be a much better gauge.

The 10,12,13 axis looked good.

Might be worth starting the Maori fulla next week.

Montpellier won't roll over like that in the pack at home you would assume. Sightly worrying how Leinster didn't manage to capitalise on all that possession and linebreaks. Will need to be more clinical next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Team keeps winning, still things to improve on, but the team is playing well and they are looking very good in spots.

Certainly should be no fear about Carberry stepping in when required.

Also great to see the depth in second row. A year ago we were panicking about that.

Only downside for me is that RK, although he played fine, looks like he is past his prime, still good under a ball but looks a bit clueless going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Who got motm?

With Schmidt in the stands carbery threw too many offloads.

He'll learn.

Being serious it was a good showing. None of the obligatory kicks out on the full etc that Madigan brought to the table. Should probably park the garyowens a little bit though.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Who got motm?

Josh Van der Flier

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Good performance from the pack especially today. Dismantled Castres big time.

Leinster weren't helped by the piss poor performance from Luke McGrath. Kirchner and Kearney had poor games as well. Should've won by more but wasted a few opportunities and McGrath made some costly errors.

Leinster's midfield will.be a thing of beauty soon enough. 10-12-13 are all sensationally talented players and will get better with more expwrience playing together. Plus Sexton to come back in as well. Exciting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

TeoReid wrote: »
    I dunno lads. Pen try means certain try would have been scored, right? Didn't look certain there to me particularly if you compare to the one in the first half. Bit harsh but will take it obviously.

Certain try not required, probable try is all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Good performance from the pack especially today. Dismantled Castres big time.

Leinster weren't helped by the piss poor performance from Luke McGrath. Kirchner and Kearney had poor games as well. Should've won by more but wasted a few opportunities and McGrath made some costly errors.

Leinster's midfield will.be a thing of beauty soon enough. 10-12-13 are all sensationally talented players and will get better with more expwrience playing together. Plus Sexton to come back in as well. Exciting times.

Kearney was excellent today. But he gets accused of having a poor game every week so no surprise here.

Excellent is a bit generous. He was solid to good.

• Advertisement

Kearney was excellent today. But he gets accused of having a poor game every week so no surprise here.

Jeepers. He was solid, ie he did his core roles.

Excellent is seeing things you want to see that aren't actually there.

He wasn't excellent at all. Solid at most, but offers little attacking threat.

I was a huge fan of Kearney but it's plainly obvious he isn't a patch on the player who won European player of the year four years ago.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Jeepers. He was solid, ie he did his core roles.

Excellent is seeing things you want to see that aren't actually there.

He again took away their territorial kicking game. He was one of our few backs getting supporting lines right after our breaks in the first half. Won the ball in the air in Castres' half and forced a knock on from a similar kick giving us possession on the edge of their 22 both times from Carberry's kicking. He stood in at first receiver on numerous occasions. He's in very strong form these days but people have their mind made up before he takes the field.

Clegg wrote: »
    He wasn't excellent at all. Solid at most, but offers little attacking threat.

I was a huge fan of Kearney but it's plainly obvious he isn't a patch on the player who won European player of the year four years ago.

Oh really? What was it that made you a fan of him that he didn't do today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well done Leinster. Good start.
    Looking forward to watching the highlights later on.

Any sign of SOB today lads?

He again took away their territorial kicking game. He was one of our few backs getting supporting lines right after our breaks in the first half. Won the ball in the air in Castres' half and forced a knock on from a similar kick giving us possession on the edge of their 22 both times from Carberry's kicking. He stood in at first receiver on numerous occasions. He's in very strong form these days but people have their mind made up before he takes the field.

Managed to get to see the game after all in a small pub in Tipp. Had no phone coverage for the most part. Driving home was thinking Kearney will have silenced a few critics today, astonished that he is being called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kearney had a grand game. He is definitely getting involved more in attack, which is promising. He'll never give you what Payne does, but he will hopefully get better at picking the right lines and making the correct decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Not a perfect performance. There's a few things to work on, particularly our execution in the opposition red zone. We should have managed another few scores today. The last 10 minutes was a complete mess as well. We were rudderless.

But overall it was a very positive game. Carbery stepped up well, the pack dominated and our midfield is coming along nicely. Isa is in great form too. With guys like SOB, Sexton and Dave Kearney to come back plus performances like that to build on I think we're really going somewhere. If we can rectify some of the issues we'll be a very tough team to beat.

Oh really? What was it that made you a fan of him that he didn't do today?

Making actual contributions with ball in hand. He doesn't or can't do that anymore. At his best he was a dynamic runner who offered a proper counterattacking threat. Not saying he needs to be a Folau or Smith but his one outstanding attacking attribute isn't there anymore. He does the basic stuff you expect a pro fullback to do. Which is fine. But the competition has increased for the Irish jersey and his competitors offer so much more than he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thrilled with that. In terms of units I think the maul defence really needs work but otherwise that was excellent.

No problem with Carbery making the step up. I'm getting seriously excited about Ringrose, this guy is the real deal. Everything he does shows class and composure.

Advertisement