Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyranny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Anyone know how to remove spells and abilities from the action bar? Its driving me nuts, i want to be neat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i'd like to know that too, it's all a massive cluster of stuff i don't want on there at all

i'd like to know that too, it's all a massive cluster of stuff i don't want on there at all

I figured a clever way to clear the slots. Put an item in a quick slot in the inventory menu, then from the gameplay HUD click the quick item button and assign said quick item to all slots. It will replace and remove the skill and then you have a clean action bar ready to customize!

On another note i just cleared the first act. Game is really good, enjoying it alot more than PoE. The story and world feels much more contained as well as the combat and the 4 man party system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is it as short as some people were worried it would be? Tempted to pick it up this week, as i'm starved of a good RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Some review I read had the main story arc at 30 hours.

I'm about 10 hours in and still feel like I'm scratching the surface. Probably the only game in a long time where I'm looking forward to replaying straight after finishing to make different choices.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rock, Paper, Shotgun early review said the time limit on the start of the game didn't effect him having a slow playthrough and that so he reckons the 25 hour campaign is only for those that fly through the main quest - that there's enough for a lot more time.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/10/tyranny-review-in-progress/
    There’s a counter at the top of the screen, and it gently pulses to remind you of the urgency. In Hayden’s preview last month, he was told how it was tough to get everything done in that time, and that the game would simply end if you ran out. I finished every bit of it, every side quest too, with six days left on the clock. It didn’t work at all.

Which brings me back to how I play these things. I can’t leave anything unturned. If I had a lick of sense I’d have burned through the main quest to reach the end, and written this review after that. But I can’t. I can’t leave conversations unspoken, side-quests unfulfilled, details not understood. And so the hours clock up and up, which is great for the game, rubbish for getting a review finished on time. (I’m going to keep playing, and write a follow-up piece.) Given that the time limits don’t threaten even when playing like that, it’s clear that something hasn’t quite worked.

Kiith wrote: »
    Is it as short as some people were worried it would be? Tempted to pick it up this week, as i'm starved of a good RPG.

depends on how much you read, if you're just skimming the dialogues, i'd say it's a lot shorter. The dialogues are really good though, i'm barely past act 1 and i've racked up 25 hours since launch (also rerolled once)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm taking my time - though I'm not being exhaustive I just discovered from talking to a friend last night and hearing all the stuff I missed - and I am 28 hours in and just near the end of Act 2. I wouldn't put any stock in people saying the campaign is short. If they wanted to zoom through it ASAP I don't know why they're even playing a game like this.

It lacks a bit of a sense of scale compared to some isometric games. You don't go to other dimensions, there's no underdark; as far as I've seen there's nothing outside of the main play area, so it can lead to a bit of a sense that the world isn't all that big. I think that's also compounded by the fact that the map is so, I dunno, minimalistic? You don't see trees and forests the way you did on the map in BG2, say, so you don't get much of a sense of it being a big area - though you take days to get around so it's not small in that sense.

14 hours in near the start of Act 2 and im doing all side quests available to me. Reading all dialogue and "lore links" of people and places mentioned in conversation. I'm using slow mode in combat 100% of the time but i don't know if that would effect overall game time.

In most game's im compelled to follow my own morals and act how i would if i was faced with the same decision, but this game has taken a hold over me and im roleplaying it like a ruthless badass. In most games generally people want to recruit all companions so they can experience all the content but I murdered a possible companion because they crossed me and i don't feel like im missing anything by not having them around. It feels.........good...

Act 1

I also tucked a message into a persons gauntlet and kicked them off the spire because i wanted to deliver a message to the people below. Feels so good

pro tip : don't slap beastwomen, that is all.

• Advertisement

Act 1

I also tucked a message into a persons gauntlet and kicked them off the spire because i wanted to deliver a message to the people below. Feels so good

By far my favourite moment in the game so far. I could not resist, despite having not been playing it all that viciously up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Or ask her to wash herself

I also slapped her then refused her aid. Was disappointed i hadn't have the option to finish her there and then, maybe she plays a part later in the story

I also slapped her then refused her aid. Was disappointed i hadn't have the option to finish her there and then, maybe she plays a part later in the story

The one in the blade grave
    ?

Haven't had this much fun in an rpg in ages, the choices are brilliant and ye can be as evil as anything killing npc's left right and centre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Bit disappointed in what you actually do with the towers so far also it keeps telling me i dont have enough forge apprentices in one of them =/ Apart from that really enjoying it so far, 3 spires down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bought it last night after you were all so positive about it, and really enjoying it. Only played a few hours, and got to where I
    issued the edict to the two Archon's, and the 8 day timer has started. Hopefully it won't rush me that much, as i've never been great with hurrying through RPG's like this.

The Conquest intro is excellent. Can't wait to play some more tonight.

issued the edict to the two Archon's, and the 8 day timer has started. Hopefully it won't rush me that much, as i've never been great with hurrying through RPG's like this.

It can be done in a day or two; I wasn't rushing at all. If you keep taking wounds and keep having to sleep to heal them that might eventually push the timer.

Finished it last night. Boy is Act 3 short compared to the others. Like, in terms of time, I'd say maybe 2 hours? And it took me 30 to go through the other two. I'd guess 10-20-2 is the hourly breakdown for my game, roughly.

Slightly dubious about the ending; not sure everything quite lined up. Like,
    Tunon bent the knee rather abruptly; not sure I even had a chance to demand it
    . I was really happy that I was able to
    make Ashe submit, because it made a huge amount of sense given how close I was to the Disfavored; I really didn't want to have to kill him

Magic ends up outlandishly overpowered by the end of the game. Nothing was a threat any more. There are accents that let you fire two projectiles instead of one, and each one has the full effect of, say, bouncing between four targets, and it creates an area explosion with every impact. So you fire off one Rimespike spell and you get eight explosions. At least that what it seems like, it's hard to keep track amongst all the chaos. I definitely saw a similarly designed force spell bounce back and forth between two remaining targets until it was exhausted. T'was hilarious.

I'm starting a new game with an unarmed ninja monk-wizard and playing on Hard; see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Started this last night. Really impressed with the Conquest intro section, I really liked how that was done. Went for a pit fighter turned war advisor with the Scarlet Chorus myself, tried to end the war without that many casualties on my own side, but keeping true to the Overlord's Laws.

I really like it in that it's given me a definite idea of who my character is and what she'll do / say during the game, and it seems that there's no real downside to being a bit of a prick if that's what's called for. There are very few games where being the evil character actually gets rewards, and your companions stick around.

I'm curious as to how much the game changes depending on your choices during conquest ... yes, I can see my self starting again once I'm done just to see how things are the same/different.

Really enjoying it so far.

Side note, the little explanations of concepts and places and people in the dialogue options is an exceptionally good quality of life improvement. So simple, we wonder why it was never done before.

Just finished it, That was a great game have to say. Loved the old school style to the ending. Has me eager to start a new game.

Just finished it myself there now too, went disfavored all the way - Act 3 was good, and that's definitely getting a sequel! DLC Expansion or Sequel anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 sirwin357

Ahhhh no.

Just finished it myself there now too, went disfavored all the way - Act 3 was good, and that's definitely getting a sequel! DLC Expansion or Sequel anyway

*glares* for chorus !

Finished it now tonight and i can't help but feel the game was incomplete/rushed when i got near the end of Act 2.
    I did everything within my power to sort **** out between the Archons. I ended up siding with the Disfavored but never really seeing eye to eye with Ashe. In the end i slew The Voices and brought Ashe to heel under my banner. Towards the end of the game Fatebinder Calio came to me stating that Kyros proclaimed me an Archon and said that only one Archon can rule the Tiers, so i did just that and made myself ruler of the Tiers. Yet when i came before Tunon he found me guilty and tried to kill me. I didn't do anything to sew discord between the Archons, acted on Kyros' will and brought the Tiers under rule. Ending doesn't seem inline with how i played the game

I played on the second most difficulty and found the game moderately challenging up until after the Blade Grave campaign. After that the game became a walk in the park with Verse becoming an absolute monster murking fools while at the same time being able to offtank. I was going to do another playthrough immediately after completing but the rushed feeling and the ending have left a bitter taste in my mouth. I may wait a while for possible DLC/Patch and see how it affects difficulty and such.

Overall a solid RPG which is let down my its pacing/progression....

Getting into it now. Don't think I've ever fretted over the decision making in the conversations as much. It's genius.

Finished my first play through as a mage and went straight back in as an unarmed tank.

Echo the complaints about the pacing - Act III was really abrupt when it all came down to it. Missed a few things on the way through - companions and optional missions so i'm going to take my time at it now and do the alternate missions. I've burned both archons too and have the tiersman loyal which I didn't even know was a real option the first time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the best class in the game? I like too play as a warrior usually.

with how magic works, it's so worth playing a caster
    But ye can hybrid anything

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I took the plunge and got , Hope I like it as I'm not very good at the ISO rpg's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Finally got around to finishing my first playthrough of this. Really enjoyed it, particularly the Conquest section, dialogue impact and generally the world lore. The side characters are really good too, though I didn't really get to know Eb, Sirin or Landry much. I stuck with Verse, Barik and Kills-In-Shadow. I do like that a lot of them HATE each other, makes it a bit interesting.
    Went with the Scarlet Chorus myself. I figured I'd play it differently than I normally would, play a bit of an asshole (punted that one off the top of the tower for sure). Toward the end I was feeling quite bad about the pile of bodies that were stacking up around the Voices of Nerat (great character) from all the people I was sending to him, but oh well.

I was a little disappointed there wasn't a "stay loyal to Kyros" option, because I didn't really want to betray/challenge him. That wasn't who my character was. Tunon joined me. Killed Ashe and Nerat and -eventually - Bleden Mark. Curious for the DLC now.

Lots of mechanics that went over my head a little. Spires I didn't start using until late late on in the game, when it made little to no difference. I could have been training up the whole time, having stuff made/scavenged for me but nope. The extra spires seem to come a long way into the game, which is odd. I barely touched magic given my character was a spear and shield user, along with Verse and Barik, with Landry thrown in for a bit of healing (I only learned the sigil of life before the last fight which made things a LOT easier).

All in all, I'll enjoy my second playthrough as a 'nice' guy, or as nice as I can be, a lot lot more now I understand how things work.

• Advertisement

Spires I didn't start using until late late on in the game, when it made little to no difference. I could have been training up the whole time, having stuff made/scavenged for me but nope. The extra spires seem to come a long way into the game, which is odd. I barely touched magic given my character was a spear and shield user, along with Verse and Barik, with Landry thrown in for a bit of healing (I only learned the sigil of life before the last fight which made things a LOT easier).

What I and a few others here on boards have mentioned is that the pacing is quite poor towards the second half of the game. Feels like the game may have been rushed towards the end or is unfinished, or they had to cut some content along the line. One of the better "new" IsoRPGs in regards to how choices influence and impact that game, but im holding off on my second playthrough in the hopes that the game gets some update or DLC to flesh the whole thing about abit more. But sadly i don't think its coming, or even DLC or a sequel for that matter as i feel this game wasn't as popular as it should have been. Hopefully Obsidian incorporate some of the better elements of Tyranny into Pillars of Eternity II.

If you do start a second playthrough i recommend playing as a caster. There are so many options in the spells and SO much customization is a joy to use. Half hoping PoE2 uses the same spell casting mechanic but i doubt its gonna happen

Advertisement