Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

I won’t be worried about subscriptions ,you are not paying Duty and VAT taxes for goods outside EU worth €22 or less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Pity they don't do 1kg bags or do them more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Saw a deal on instagram for bell lane 20% off with code: FLASHSALE20 I think - not sure how long it is valid for, didn't say on insta!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

jaysis, does anyone ever buy a full price sub from Bailies?

Nope, bought from the mall two years running nownon Black Friday.

Their filter roast is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Bailiescoffee subscription options are far from ideal, it is cheap with discounts applied , beans are decent...
    But....There are advertising delivery twice a month ( if you have 2 subscription) 1 and 3d week.
    How is it working out for you guys? It is always random weeks in my case, you can't rely on it.
    Are you guys receiving bags twice a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I only went for 1 bag a month and it comes mid month usually. Latest bag came last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Melodeon

My Bailies 1 bag/month subscription always arrives at the end of week 1/beginning of week 2 of the month.

alec76 wrote: »
    Bailiescoffee subscription options are far from ideal, it is cheap with discounts applied , beans are decent...
    But....There are advertising delivery twice a month ( if you have 2 subscription) 1 and 3d week.
    How is it working out for you guys? It is always random weeks in my case, you can't rely on it.
    Are you guys receiving bags twice a month?

Beans are better than decent to be fair, as I said in a previous post in particular their filter roast is savage.

And bought on discount the subs are fantastic value.

As for the delivery yeah I find it to be a bit all over the shop but it doesn’t bother me at all. I’d never have a coffee shortage in the house so whenever it arrives it arrives is the way I see it.

I have a £50 amazon voucher, what coffee related paraphernalia should I get

I already have an aeropress, v60, mokapot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hand grinder if you don't already have one, great for travel.
    Scales for measuring your doses, but you probably already have one of those too.
    I guess if another brew device a Kalita Wave or a Chemex could be worth a look.
    Keep cup, also good for travel.

• Advertisement

yeah, forgot to mention I'll be getting a keepcup as my one just smashed, so that's about 15-20 quid, think I might get a 12oz rather than a 8oz though.

Any recommended hand grinder?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

hario skerton and porlex are the two I see recommended most often.

I have this one and its lasted years (Since 2012!).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Porlex-Mini-Hand-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B01B77O8LG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550768710&sr=8-3&keywords=porlex%2Bcoffee%2Bgrinder&th=1

ah, thanks but that's over budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

ah, thanks but that's over budget

Then go for the Mini Mill - it's about 30 euro depending where you shop. You genuinely can't do better than that for a reliable hand grinder.

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/hario-mini-mill-hand-grinder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

J_E wrote: »
    Then go for the Mini Mill - it's about 30 euro depending where you shop. You genuinely can't do better than that for a reliable hand grinder.

https://coffeeangel.com/shop/hario-mini-mill-hand-grinder

Have that one 3 or 4 years now of semi regular use and still works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Nope, bought from the mall two years running nownon Black Friday.

Their filter roast is exceptional.

Can I ask about this, as someone who is only venturing into the whole business of taking home coffee more seriously? If I’d be silly paying full price for a sub from these guys, what’s my best bet for keeping an eye out for discounts? (And if the answer is this forum and their website, then fair enough.)

Thanks in advance!

Can I ask about this, as someone who is only venturing into the whole business of taking home coffee more seriously? If I’d be silly paying full price for a sub from these guys, what’s my best bet for keeping an eye out for discounts? (And if the answer is this forum and their website, then fair enough.)

Thanks in advance!

This forum and their website :-D
    Only joking. Their newsletter is good too (and sign up with other roasters too if they have one) but discounts are usually black Friday / January / holidays like Easter possibly too

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Anyone here try the Velo coffee in Aldi? Its roasted in Cork apparently. It's pretty tasty if you ask me. I've lashed through a bag over the last week in the Aeropress & can't fault it for the price. Think it's approx 3 euro for a small bag - possibly 250g.

I've tried lots of Aldis own brand stuff & it's muck but I'd highly recommend this one.

Just googled their site actually, it's the Velo tandem version I tried. I'd be interested to know what others think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

€4 for 200g if memory serves. It’s pretty decent. As you say, better than the usual muck they sell. I bought a wholebean bag recently when I had run out of fancy stuff. Good to see them supporting an Irish brand.

No visibility over roast date.
    Anyone here try the Velo coffee in Aldi? Its roasted in Cork apparently. It's pretty tasty if you ask me. I've lashed through a bag over the last week in the Aeropress & can't fault it for the price. Think it's approx 3 euro for a small bag - possibly 250g.

I've tried lots of Aldis own brand stuff & it's muck but I'd highly recommend this one.

Just googled their site actually, it's the Velo tandem version I tried. I'd be interested to know what others think of it.

I was the same - bought a bag when stuck. The lack of a roast date is annoying and it is pricey enough for coffee that could have been roasted 6 months ago for all the consumer knows - €4 for 200g - so €5 for 250g which now seems to be the standard size bag from roasters - so maybe a couple of euro cheaper per bag but with the latter you are getting it freshly roasted for definite.

Have only had one cup out of the bag but it was decent - could be a good option if stuck in a supermarket etc.

• Advertisement

The barcode/product code may give hints over roast date. Normally it's in a 365 day format somewhere.

J_E wrote: »
    The barcode/product code may give hints over roast date. Normally it's in a 365 day format somewhere.

That is sometimes true but can't be relied upon imo, it's still just a guess as there could be quite a delay between roasting and manufacturing even. The number on mine is 78043 so I reckon it is just an internal batch number or whatever! Bbe is end of April 2020.

That is sometimes true but can't be relied upon imo, it's still just a guess as there could be quite a delay between roasting and manufacturing even. The number on mine is 78043 so I reckon it is just an internal batch number or whatever! Bbe is end of April 2020.

Quite possible 043 is February 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

never heard of them before but i got this email this morning:
    Save up to 25% on selected range of coffee beans, coffee capsules and filter coffee, promotion ends on the 18th of March, 2019; Should you have any queries on this offer or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact customerservice@coffeeclick.ie

LIDL have three new types of bellarom beans in a brown paper bag for 2.25 - zambia, colombia and ecuador I think. At the price I can't imagine they are great quality, even leaving aside the pre-roasting aspect.

Always on the look out for an "emergency" bean I can pick up from the supermarket in a tight pinch (first world problems eh? :D:o) - anyone tried them? I tried the aldi ones in the brown paper bag and literally couldn't even finish the bags so hoping these are not form the same source.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LIDL have three new types of bellarom beans in a brown paper bag for 2.25 - zambia, colombia and ecuador I think. At the price I can't imagine they are great quality, even leaving aside the pre-roasting aspect.

Always on the look out for an "emergency" bean I can pick up from the supermarket in a tight pinch (first world problems eh? :D:o) - anyone tried them? I tried the aldi ones in the brown paper bag and literally couldn't even finish the bags so hoping these are not form the same source.

Your taste buds are clearly upper class. You probably shouldn't be looking for bargains. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Always on the look out for an "emergency" bean I can pick up from the supermarket in a tight pinch (first world problems eh? ) - anyone tried them? I tried the aldi ones in the brown paper bag and literally couldn't even finish the bags so hoping these are not form the same source.

Was just in lidl and spotted these so bought a bag (Zambia) will let you know when I get around to using them.
    Not expecting much at the price point though

NATLOR wrote: »
    Was just in lidl and spotted these so bought a bag (Zambia) will let you know when I get around to using them.
    Not expecting much at the price point though

I bought the zambia one too. It is actually not that bad imo (damning with faint praise, I know!).
    Give me a bag of freshly roasted any day but for €2.29 if you are in a pinch and coffee-less it is definitely drinkable. Found it much better than the ALDI stuff I tried and better than the SuperValu signature taste beans.

Worth a try imo if you don't have too cultured a palate or are stuck (or have guests who couldn't care less about coffee and you don't want to waste the good stuff on them :D) Don't expect miracles though!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Can I ask, when you say their filter roast, are you referring to (what they call) their Microlot subscription? Am trying to decide between the Eapresso and Microlot options (as well as between Bailies and other options, such as West Cork Coffee and simply picking up a bag a month locally from the Happy Pear, which does good coffee I think).

Anyway, I tend to drink machine espressos / short americanos, would rarely drink filter. Only really after getting my home set-up together now, trying to find a good go-to bean source for the next few months.

Cheers!
    Beans are better than decent to be fair, as I said in a previous post in particular their filter roast is savage.

And bought on discount the subs are fantastic value.

As for the delivery yeah I find it to be a bit all over the shop but it doesn’t bother me at all. I’d never have a coffee shortage in the house so whenever it arrives it arrives is the way I see it.

• Advertisement

Can I ask, when you say their filter roast, are you referring to (what they call) their Microlot subscription? Am trying to decide between the Eapresso and Microlot options (as well as between Bailies and other options, such as West Cork Coffee and simply picking up a bag a month locally from the Happy Pear, which does good coffee I think).

Anyway, I tend to drink machine espressos / short americanos, would rarely drink filter. Only really after getting my home set-up together now, trying to find a good go-to bean source for the next few months.

Cheers!

I think you’ve answered you’re own question there but just in case...

The microlot is geared towards a filter brew and the espresso is geared towards eh, espresso.

Both can be used to brew with or but the espresso roast is darker.

Personally I prefer their microlot. The few bags I’ve had this year have produced a lovely espresso as well as fantastic filter. I’d drink more of the latter these days to be honest.

Advertisement