Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok mr science on the stove top. All I said was it was better than the piece of **** you originally wanted to buy. Not my preferred method of making coffee but I’d take it over a terrible excuse for an espresso machine any day of the week if done correctly.

As for your burr grinder on the food processor that’s neat little trick to be fair but just because it has burrs doesn’t mean it’s any good. Krupp’s for example sell a burr grinder for about €50 on Amazon which can deal with filter ok but not a hope on espresso.

I’m lost as to why you posted in the first place if you already have a perfect setup and know everything already btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ok mr science on the stove top. All I said was it was better than the piece of **** you originally wanted to buy. Not my preferred method of making coffee but I’d take it over a terrible excuse for an espresso machine any day of the week if done correctly.

As for your burr grinder on the food processor that’s neat little trick to be fair but just because it has burrs doesn’t mean it’s any good. Krupp’s for example sell a burr grinder for about €50 on Amazon which can deal with filter ok but not a hope on espresso.

I’m lost as to why you posted in the first place if you already have a perfect setup and know everything already btw.

I was trying to be helpful to the OP from the basis of my 4 years of experience with the type of equipment he was asking about. My current equipment was the basis of my concluding recommendation to skip the silvercrest and go for a good used, low mileage, espresso machine of higher quality.

Well it's a multi purpose mill, not just for coffee, and given one of those uses is to reduce various grains to flour... It produces a fine enough result for espresso.

Back to the continuum I mentioned - not everyone can afford, or wants to, spend several hundred on a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cnocbui wrote: »
    I was trying to be helpful to the OP from the basis of my 4 years of experience with the type of equipment he was asking about. My current equipment was the basis of my concluding recommendation to skip the silvercrest and go for a good used, low mileage, espresso machine of higher quality.

Well it's a multi purpose mill, not just for coffee, and given one of those uses is to reduce various grains to flour... It produces a fine enough result for espresso.

Back to the continuum I mentioned - not everyone can afford, or wants to, spend several hundred on a machine.
    cnocbui wrote: »

4 years experience. I see.

Anyway I really doubt there’s a consistent grind from your multi mill grinder. If there was, then everyone would be buying that instead of spending a few hundred on a stand-alone burr grinder specifically designed for espresso and coffee in general.
    But if it works for you good for you.

And lastly and going back to my original point this is not a bargain. If someone doesn’t have the money to invest in a 2nd hand espresso setup with the likes of a Gaggia classic and Gaggia MDF or similar starter burr grinder. Do not bother looking at espresso. It’ll just lead to frustration.

If someone doesn’t have the money to invest just buy an aeropress and a hand grinder and use the remaining money to buy good quality beans. I know it’s not espresso but it’ll give a lovely clean cup of coffee.

That’s it I’m out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

4 years experience. I see.

Anyway I really doubt there’s a consistent grind from your multi mill grinder. If there was, then everyone would be buying that instead of spending a few hundred on a stand-alone burr grinder specifically designed for espresso and coffee in general.
    But if it works for you good for you.

And lastly and going back to my original point this is not a bargain. If someone doesn’t have the money to invest in a 2nd hand espresso setup with the likes of a Gaggia classic and Gaggia MDF or similar starter burr grinder. Do not bother looking at espresso. It’ll just lead to frustration.

If someone doesn’t have the money to invest just buy an aeropress and a hand grinder and use the remaining money to buy good quality beans. I know it’s not espresso but it’ll give a lovely clean cup of coffee.

That’s it I’m out.

The coffee grinder attachment is a $120 + postage attachment I got from the US. The machine it attaches to was considerably more and came from Finland because the Swedes wouldn't use CC payments unless the customer walked through the door with one, so no, 'everyone' wouldn't be just getting one instead of a dedicated burr grinder.

OP, if you are still around, note the top comment - mentions the price was £49 in the Uk, so if interested, wait for the clearance.:

Good.

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Any chance you can take the spat somewhere else? This is the "Coffee Bargains" thread after all.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Spocker wrote: »
    Any chance you can take the spat somewhere else? This is the "Coffee Bargains" thread after all.....

This.

Please use the report post function folks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

any view on this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EOMZ5E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM 4200.S Bean to Cup

I've a Nespresso machine and I'm looking to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

godtabh wrote: »
    any view on this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EOMZ5E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Long running thread on that very machine

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Have almost the same model and love it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

godtabh wrote: »
    any view on this?

Ordered. An early birthday present to me!

• Advertisement

Any deals on coffee beans today?

I got the Adams & Russell beans and they were very nice, and I would buy them again, but any others on special at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Any deals on coffee beans today?

I got the Adams & Russell beans and they were very nice, and I would buy them again, but any others on special at the moment?

Even their £4 a bag beans are nice.
    Blue Kenyan was the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

In defense of Krups - I am sure spending hundreds on a grinder gets you a good machine, but: I use a Krups burr grinder for my Silvia, use good quality beans and consistently make excellent coffee - good crema, great flavour, just as good as my local coffee shop (who roast their own beans and make damn good coffee). So I consider it pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Bailies coffee doing 15% off use JANUARYBREWS code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Over on ebay.co.uk there's a Mahlkonig (Baratza) Vario grinder, with 14 hours left to run, currently going for £100 with only the single bid on it (here). It could turn out to be a fantastic deal for anyone in the market for a grinder; they sell for ~€450 new.

Be wary of the seller as they have no feedback. However, it might be worth a risk if the grinder ends up selling for near that price.

I'd be all over it, but I just bought a Wilfa Svart grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd be all over it, but I just bought a Wilfa Svart grinder.

I was going to get one of these until I saw a review that said they aren't great for grinding for espresso. Have you found this yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Effects wrote: »
    I was going to get one of these until I saw a review that said they aren't great for grinding for espresso. Have you found this yourself?

It hasn't arrived yet. I'll be using it for pour-over and moka pot, not espresso.

From what I've come across, most cheaper grinders don't seem suited for espresso. The Sage Smart Grinder Pro seems to be one of the few which I've seen mentioned as somewhat suited for espresso. I'd imagine that others here will be able to provide much better advice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,891 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I had a coffee bean called imbibe recently. Anybody know where I can buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

eagle eye wrote: »
    I had a coffee bean called imbibe recently. Anybody know where I can buy it?

here's a list of stockists

https://imbibe.ie/stockists/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

From what I've come across, most cheaper grinders don't seem suited for espresso.

Thanks for the reply. I mainly use a bean to cup machine at home. I was hoping to just keep decent beans in the machine but then have nicer beans that I could grind as I wanted and then add them to the ground coffee chute.
    Might just get the beans ground when I buy them for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hello all, apologies not a bargain alert but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Recently bought a second hand Lavazza Fantasia machine, but can't seem to find out where to buy the pods in supermarkets? Looking online Tesco/Supervalu don't stock them?

Where would be best to purchase them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭dball

I’m sure the sell them in Harvey Norman (of all places). But check first. I’m not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Great cheers, actually just found them on sale in the Brown Thomas cafe as well beside all the coffee machines etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Hello all, apologies not a bargain alert but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. Recently bought a second hand Lavazza Fantasia machine, but can't seem to find out where to buy the pods in supermarkets? Looking online Tesco/Supervalu don't stock them?

Where would be best to purchase them?

Coffeeclick.ie are really good for the lavazza pods...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Effects wrote: »

The Wilfa grinder is not suitable for espresso, it's fantastic for filter but espresso, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

1kg of Lavazza beans in Tesco for 12euro, usual price 15.99. Not a bad bean for a quick fix and any visitors or in between waiting for a subscription to arrive. Keep the special stuff for moi :).

Bailies doing 10% off subscriptions until Valentines day
    Code: JUSTFORBREW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

jaysis, does anyone ever buy a full price sub from Bailies?

• Advertisement

jaysis, does anyone ever buy a full price sub from Bailies?

Even without the discounts I think their pricing is good for the quality. Just hoping it doesn't change with Brexit :mad::(:( #nocoffeehardborderplease

Advertisement