Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tshiggins

Can anyone tell me how long the Help To Buy process usually takes?
    From application to granting, or notification even?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

tshiggins wrote: »
    Thanks

I think if there are no issues around your application it is pretty much instantaneous. My application was stuck on "under review" for 3 weeks. I phoned them yesterday to see what the problem was. The girl on the phone said "oh I have no idea why that is, everything is fine" and within an hour of the call I had full approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭climber59

Thanks

Yep I'd second what skywayavenue said. I had problems with mine both times so I'm not sure what the normal period is - definitely not long though. If it's 'under review' for more than a day or two call them. It can take a few calls to get someone that understands the problem but it's the best way to move it along.

great, thanks - anyone know the number I should call? (I'm seeing several on the website)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭skywayavenue

great, thanks - anyone know the number I should call? (I'm seeing several on the website)

I phoned the general PAYE number for south Dublin - 1890 333 425

• Advertisement

Lovely - thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Apologies as this may have been asked already. I have been approved through revenue for HTB, and have AIP from the bank for a self build. I understand that my official mortgage offer (when that time comes) needs to be uploaded. My query is, how long roughly does it take for the money to come through from the HTB?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

sarah88 wrote: »
    Apologies as this may have been asked already. I have been approved through revenue for HTB, and have AIP from the bank for a self build. I understand that my official mortgage offer (when that time comes) needs to be uploaded. My query is, how long roughly does it take for the money to come through from the HTB?
    Many thanks

5 working days is when the money should come through

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Aaron15 wrote: »
    5 working days is when the money should come through

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I've uploaded my signed contract & loan offer and provided the claim reference/access code to my solicitor. Is it now up to the builders solicitor to confirm the property & take the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Has anyone heard on the news about a number of people having to return their HTB?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

izzyflusky wrote: »
    Has anyone heard on the news about a number of people having to return their HTB?

Is it this story?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/revenue-seeks-tens-of-thousands-of-euro-over-help-to-buy-scheme-468633.html

Seems to be a bit of a mixup between those applying and the Revenue.

I've uploaded my signed contract & loan offer and provided the claim reference/access code to my solicitor. Is it now up to the builders solicitor to confirm the property & take the money?

That’s it, it’s just a waiting game now, you won’t get a notification that they’ve recived the money, so maybe give it 5-7 working days and contact them to see if they recived payment, that’s what we done.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

I think you will receive Claim reference Number which should be provided to Developer via Solicitor for claiming the max amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Is it this story?
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/revenue-seeks-tens-of-thousands-of-euro-over-help-to-buy-scheme-468633.html

i never quite understood how a ‘help to buy’ scheme was made available to those that already bought. was it that the refund was only made available to those in the buying process and hadn’t already drawn down when the scheme was announced? if so, this was not at all clear as it seemed to be a bizarre quick fix populist vote getter by coveney offered to any first time buyer back dated to months before it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

sightband wrote: »
    Is it this story?

i never quite understood how a ‘help to buy’ scheme was made available to those that already bought. was it that the refund was only made available to those in the buying process and hadn’t already drawn down when the scheme was announced? if so, this was not at all clear as it seemed to be a bizarre quick fix populist vote getter by coveney offered to any first time buyer back dated to months before it was announced.

Is that who Revenue are going after? I can't find information about who is being fined.

I am 100% sure my claim was legitimate and legal but I'm still worried now about getting a letter from Revenue!!

the irish times article seemed to suggest it was anyone who had exchanged contracts at the time the scheme was announced was not eligible. like
    you though i can’t get any specifics. if it is the case the criteria to qualify was as clear as mud as I had read every FAQ and detail made available and it seemed to be a free for all for any first time buyer within a certain time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Obsolete01

I read about the HTB scheme last year and wasn't sure if I was eligible. So I then rang revenue and they told me I was. So I applied and got the money last March.

I received a letter yesterday saying my application was being reviewed. When I rang today I was told I was not eligible and they will be looking for the money back. I'm going to stand my ground because I was told by them Jan 2017 I was eligible. I've handed it over to my solicitor

Obsolete01 wrote: »
    I read about the HTB scheme last year and wasn't sure if I was eligible. So I then rang revenue and they told me I was. So I applied and got the money last March.

I received a letter yesterday saying my application was being reviewed. When I rang today I was told I was not eligible and they will be looking for the money back. I'm going to stand my ground because I was told by them Jan 2017 I was eligible. I've handed it over to my solicitor

Was the issue to do with dates as it mentioned in the article?

Was the issue to do with dates as it mentioned in the article?

Yea, so i read on the site that if you were building from 19 July 2016 which I was and I phoned them and said I was. They told me over the phone I was then eligible and now they said I had to have first mortgage payment drawn down on or after July 19. I drew down June 27th

• Advertisement

Yea, so i read on the site that if you were building from 19 July 2016 which I was and I phoned them and said I was. They told me over the phone I was then eligible and now they said I had to have first mortgage payment drawn down on or after July 19. I drew down June 27th

Sounds like THEY made the mistake and are trying to blame people then.

Sounds like THEY made the mistake and are trying to blame people then.

Yea, like they approved it verbally and then in the system. But what am I meant to do really. Its revenue at the end of the day.

Yea, like they approved it verbally and then in the system. But what am I meant to do really. Its revenue at the end of the day.

I don’t see why others should be punished for a mistake that they made, seems ridiculous to be honest

Aaron15 wrote: »
    I don’t see why others should be punished for a mistake that they made, seems ridiculous to be honest

I guess a big appeal will be made? I was thinking of going to the radio stations with it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

I guess a big appeal will be made? I was thinking of going to the radio stations with it

Did you enter the correct information on the online system? Correct dates?

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Did you enter the correct information on the online system? Correct dates?

Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Yea

Seems like it’s their mistake so. Revenue are saying the system would automatically reject applications which did not meet the criteria but that must not be the case if you entered 27th June on the application. It should have rejected you there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I have been approved for the HTB scheme, but am a bit worried about all this now, Basically I was buying back in 2012 and was about to sign contracts for the property but the solicitor found issues with the paperwork and advised to withdraw from the purchase which I did. She had drawn down the funds from the bank but then returned them as it fell through, Am i right in saying I am a first time buyer as I never actually owned anything on paper??

That’s brutal, sorry for your trouble. Sounds like they’ve rewritten the eligibility criteria, the amount of material I’ve read on it since the announcement of the scheme and I don’t recall reading about the contract exchange or drawdown clause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Seems like it’s their mistake so. Revenue are saying the system would automatically reject applications which did not meet the criteria but that must not be the case if you entered 27th June on the application. It should have rejected you there and then.

probably revenue online application wasn't stringent at the time, as they had just launched and revenue staff not totally aware of the rules. I am not on revenue side but guessing how things would have worked. Also revenue wouldn't have guessed the total number of people eligible to apply, probably now people count > money kept aside for this !!

i agree with sightband - never came across such rules in first place, following this since announced in 2016 budget.

Advertisement