Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 allywally

You create a group application, add the other person, and select your own, then, if I recall correctly (anyone else mind confirming how it was?) the other person has to confirm and add on their side however many years of the deduction they want. It was pretty self explanatory once you realize you both have to confirm the thing on your account.

Ah I see. Makes sense. I just assumed I could do it all from my account, but if I select my years from my side and he selects his on his side, we should be all set.

Thanks so much for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

allywally wrote: »
    Ah I see. Makes sense. I just assumed I could do it all from my account, but if I select my years from my side and he selects his on his side, we should be all set.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Also, when you get approval it will only give you your own figure in your profile. The other applicant will get the amount they can receive in their profile. These can then be added together in whatever ration you'd prefer eg 10k each / 15k + 5k etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

You'll be given two figures:
    - Your max relief (solely yourself)
    - Your application max relief (group max relief)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rknlim

Hi All,

Has anyone facing the error below when applying for "Help To Buy" scheme? Since I'm under self assessment, I'm trying to apply via ROS, it gives me the error. I tried with MyAccount too and I have the same problem.

We cannot complete your request because our records show that your personal details need to be updated. Please telephone your local Revenue office or contact us through myEnquires. Please quote rule 1.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

rknlim wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone facing the error below when applying for "Help To Buy" scheme? Since I'm under self assessment, I'm trying to apply via ROS, it gives me the error. I tried with MyAccount too and I have the same problem.

We cannot complete your request because our records show that your personal details need to be updated. Please telephone your local Revenue office or contact us through myEnquires. Please quote rule 1.

Thanks in advance

Did you try contacting your local Revenue office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rknlim

Yes, and they asked me to contact the self assessment help line but they are not sure why. They are checking with the technical team I believe. While waiting for their reply, I trying to see anyone in the forum having the same issue. If yes, does anyone solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 captaincool

hey all,
    Apologies if this has been covered already, but i'm getting slightly different info from revenue each time I call them. 
    I've paid a booking deposit the other day for a new build. Contracts will be issued next week. I've 21 days to complete the signing. I want to claim HTB for 2017, but employer will not issue p60 until mid feb, leaving it dangerously close to when the estate agent will be looking for the contract to be returned. I'm concerned they may pull out out if I haven't this sorted in time.
    question - 1 - Once i've p60's submitted, whats the turnaround time usually for revenue to sort me out with equity confirmation, access codes and so on? 
    2 - We are considering filing for 2015, 2016 alone in order to get some kind of rebate, however is my wife able to file for 2017 with out me also filing for 2017(due to not having p60) ?
    3- today when I called revenue, she said I can claim for 15', 16' and then pass that on solicitor. Then when my p60 comes through I can claim that retrospectively and it would be paid into my bank account'? This is hardly true? 
    Any help appreciated!

You will both individually fill out your tax forms, they don't have to be the same years. Once you've tax clearance then you can select the years you wish to get your rebate for, again this is done individually, so you do not need to have the same years.

You can claim tax back (if you are owed) from 2017 and that will be paid into your account - but this is nothing to do with the HTB scheme, I think you're getting the two things confused.

Work on getting your tax clearance for the years you can ASAP, the rest won't take long.

Thanks for reply.
    Makes sense. Wife will have p60 this week so we should be ok with my 15', 16' and her 15', 16' and 17' entitlements together for HTB, so I think that's what we will do.  
    I understand a tax rebate vs HTB. The rep on the phone said specifically that HTB would be rebated to my bank account. This seems to go against most of the other info I've got on this so far. 
    Any idea what turn around time is once we've p60's submitted?

Thanks for reply.
    Makes sense. Wife will have p60 this week so we should be ok with my 15', 16' and her 15', 16' and 17' entitlements together for HTB, so I think that's what we will do.  
    I understand a tax rebate vs HTB. The rep on the phone said specifically that HTB would be rebated to my bank account. This seems to go against most of the other info I've got on this so far. 

To need to get tax clearance, which includes filing all your medical expenses etc.
    It took me 24/48 hours from filling out my P21 online to being able to progress with my application.

The developer gets the HTB money, not you (for a new build rather then self build), the money doesn't go into your account.

The 21 days notice is usual for the White goods, are you sure its not 56 days to sign?

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

To need to get tax clearance, which includes filing all your medical expenses etc.
    It took me 24/48 hours from filling out my P21 online to being able to progress with my application.

The developer gets the HTB money, not you (for a new build rather then self build), the money doesn't go into your account.

The 21 days notice is usual for the White goods, are you sure its not 56 days to sign?
    Estate Agent has given 21 days only for us to sign contracts, pay deposit and have HTB details (access code, equity entitlement) sent back to them. 
    I mean, how many days until Revenue confirm your [font=arial, sans-serif]Application Number, Access Code and Equity Entitlement information? [/font]
    I should be clear for the previous years already.
    Thanks!

I think it took a day or so for each part of the process.
    Setting up the applicants, updating our tax clearance statement, completing the form and getting the access code.

Getting the revenue myAccount set up for my partner took almost two weeks with errors on their end, the HTB application itself was quite quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Estate Agent has given 21 days only for us to sign contracts, pay deposit and have HTB details (access code, equity entitlement) sent back to them. 
    I mean, how many days until Revenue confirm your [font=arial, sans-serif]Application Number, Access Code and Equity Entitlement information? [/font]
    I should be clear for the previous years already.
    Thanks!

That 21 days is more of a guide, your solicitor would be well used to that chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Angandbar

Hi,

Need some advice. We've been approved for the Help To Buy scheme. Our contractor is registered and we have provided our access codes etc to the solicitors We signed contracts last week and paid 5% deposit to our solicitor. The contractors solicitors has now reverted to say they do not accept the Help To Buy scheme for deposits and the the amount Will be deducted from thhe amount due at closing. Has anyone else has this issue? It appears to defeat the purpose of the scheme given it is meant to help first time buyers with affording deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Aaron15

Angandbar wrote: »
    Hi,

Need some advice. We've been approved for the Help To Buy scheme. Our contractor is registered and we have provided our access codes etc to the solicitors We signed contracts last week and paid 5% deposit to our solicitor. The contractors solicitors has now reverted to say they do not accept the Help To Buy scheme for deposits and the the amount Will be deducted from thhe amount due at closing. Has anyone else has this issue? It appears to defeat the purpose of the scheme given it is meant to help first time buyers with affording deposits.

Sounds like a load of coddswobble to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Angandbar wrote: »
    Hi,

I heard this crap before from a mate. He bought a house in a development where the HTB scheme was specifically advertised as being part of the deposit.
    As he still had the brochure etc they were backtracking. I guess false advertisement is not good for their reputation. ...

I've put in my claim for HTB and it came back saying that the builder will be paid within 5 working days, that was 8 working days ago, is that always the case? Is still saying he will recieve payment within 5 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

Aaron15 wrote: »
    I've put in my claim for HTB and it came back saying that the builder will be paid within 5 working days, that was 8 working days ago, is that always the case? Is still saying he will recieve payment within 5 working days

That's weird, once I did the claim I just got the Claim reference number instantly on screen and into MyEnquiries. The builder needs that code to make the claim on their side. Once you send them the code it's up to them to complete the claim on their end, they have to fill in a form, etc - I don't remember seeing any message about number of working days from Revenue when we made our claim and I don't see it on either of the emails they sent us to MyEnquiries, but I've done everything I need to do, the rest is up to the builders to get their money.

Maybe call Revenue to clarify the situation?

sdssarah wrote: »
    That's weird, once I did the claim I just got the Claim reference number instantly on screen and into MyEnquiries. The builder needs that code to make the claim on their side. Once you send them the code it's up to them to complete the claim on their end, they have to fill in a form, etc - I don't remember seeing any message about number of working days from Revenue when we made our claim and I don't see it on either of the emails they sent us to MyEnquiries, but I've done everything I need to do, the rest is up to the builders to get their money.

Maybe call Revenue to clarify the situation?

Sorry I should have been more specific it says my claim has been verified by my building contractor, and my refund will issue in 5 working days, but it's 8 or 9 days later and the same message is still there, should it tell me if the money has been tranfered to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭sdssarah

Aaron15 wrote: »
    Sorry I should have been more specific it says my claim has been verified by my building contractor, and my refund will issue in 5 working days, but it's 8 or 9 days later and the same message is still there, should it tell me if the money has been tranfered to them?

I don't think you should worry about it. If the builder didn't get the money they would have to contact Revenue - it's totally out of your hands now. You've done your part, so there's nothing more you can do. I wouldn't let it worry you at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

I am doing a self build and have my claim number. What is the next step I have to do? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

sticksman wrote: »
    I am doing a self build and have my claim number. What is the next step I have to do? Thanks
    For all self-build projects, once the application is approved by Revenue, the money will be sent to your account. There is no question of it being allocated otherwise – such as to top off your mortgage.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/who-applies-for-help-to-buy-on-self-build-projects-1.3017674

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Trying to submit my application for HTB, but it wont let me progress. Error: '2016 P12 not filed', when in fact it is filed and I can see it on myRevenue taxes. Spoke to revenue who confirmed they are filed and they would issue me another p12 statement which might 'force' the system to refresh. Anybody have any similar experience?

Also, is it mandatory to use the last 4 tax years or could I skip 2017 and use 14,15 & 16?

Hoping this doesn't hinder our purchase! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

If I have paid over €20k in in income tax in 2017, should I base my application only on that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The_Sally_Gap

goofy141 wrote: »
    If I have paid over €20k in in income tax in 2017, should I base my application only on that year?

I think you have to base it on at least three years but you can pick whichever ones you want from the last four. When we were applying for ours last year we just picked 2014-2016 as those were the years we paid most tax!

sightband wrote: »

I don't know, it might be more unpopular to take it away?

Happy I got it though, I wouldn't have been able to get my house otherwise :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

GingerLily wrote: »
    I don't know, it might be more unpopular to take it away?

Happy I got it though, I wouldn't have been able to get my house otherwise :)

the only reason it hasn’t been taken away is to save face on yet another cock up decision of theirs, Coveney’s to be specific. That’s why I say it won’t see out it’s full term in its current form, I think they will alter the criteria.

I’m glad it genuinely worked out for you and was used as intended. i’m very dubious about that being the case for the majority and prices did increase in line with the scheme.

we got it also and didn’t need it, the only thing it Helped To Buy was a bunch of useless s*it my wife got for the house that we really didn’t need.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This article makes no sense. Why does he think those buying houses between 450 and 500k are not worthy of this scheme? Of course there are people availing of it buying houses of this price, that is part of the scheme.

The only people getting the top rebate are those paying enough tax for it.

As with everything, the Shinners seem miffed that there's a government scheme that is helping the middle class as well.

"Just 886 claims, or 16pc, were for properties costing €225,000 or less". What percentage of brand new homes built since this scheme came into effect have been anywhere near that price? Good luck finding a house in the greater Dublin region for 225k.

"The figures suggest that many first-time buyers who claim the grant have managed to save hefty deposits and are buying expensive homes.". As opposed to buying what? The plethora of cheap new homes on the market?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

the only reason it hasn’t been taken away is to save face on yet another cock up decision of theirs, Coveney’s to be specific. That’s why I say it won’t see out it’s full term in its current form, I think they will alter the criteria.

I’m glad it genuinely worked out for you and was used as intended. i’m very dubious about that being the case for the majority and prices did increase in line with the scheme.

we got it also and didn’t need it, the only thing it Helped To Buy was a bunch of useless s*it my wife got for the house that we really didn’t need.
    This is a bit of a red herring.

Do you think houses would be cheaper if it weren't available? House prices are going up because there aren't enough houses, they would be going up help to buy or no help to buy.

Advertisement