Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

morrga wrote: »
    We want to live in South Dublin on the Wicklow border. Carrickmines or Shankill hardly the Dalkey, Killiney profile. My point is the govt deem it ok to support couples in North Dublin who earn the same salaries as ourselves.
    Head down to Bray then, or slightly over to Blessington. Why won't you live somewhere else? Why do you think you are entitled to live where you grew up. My partner grew up in a very nice part of South Dublin but I accept that our salaries at this point in time do not "entitle" us to live there. It is not discrimination.
    Stheno wrote: »
    Sure look at all the posters earlier in the thread who signed contracts before the opening day for this who were disgusted to have lost out!
    To hell with it, give everyone 20,000 back and be done with it.

In all seriousness, the grant should be looking to inspire more reasonably priced new housing all over the country. Outside of Dublin, it will just be helping people get on the ladder as houses are generally alot cheaper. Inside of the greater Dublin area, the cap would hope to provide a target price for builders to sell their house at, and not above. Having that cap at 500k is ridiculous, and I imagine a lobby group helped with this number. It should never have went above 350k.

As for that rubbish about north and south side, plenty of houses north of the river with million plus price tags and plenty below with sub 350k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

CramCycle wrote: »
    Inside of the greater Dublin area, the cap would hope to provide a target price for builders to sell their house at, and not above. Having that cap at 500k is ridiculous, and I imagine a lobby group helped with this number. It should never have went above 350k.

As for that rubbish about north and south side, plenty of houses north of the river with million plus price tags and plenty below with sub 350k

Not too many below 350k southside. Perhaps the 20% up to 400k would be a compromise? Dunnno why you are adement of 350K? We are in the position of having found a new build we loved below 350k and missed phase 1, waited 6 months for phase 2 but they jumped by 30k to above 350k or so and couldnt afford but then this scheme was announced later so we can now purchase.

EDIT: Price jump was well before budget so that is not to blame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Not too many below 350k southside. Perhaps the 20% up to 400k would be a compromise? Dunnno why you are adement of 350K? We are in the position of having found a new build we loved below 350k and missed phase 1, waited 6 months for phase 2 but they jumped by 30k to above 350k or so and couldnt afford but then this scheme was announced later so we can now purchase.

EDIT: Price jump was well before budget so that is not to blame

I think that's cramcycles point. The whole idea of the scheme was to encourage builders back into building affordable houses for first time buyers.
    500k is way above what anyone could call affordable. I agree 400k could be a compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ifaour

Did someone workout the math to see if getting a mortgage on 80% LTV to avail of the tax rebate is better OR if I can bring the LTV down to, say 75% and not take advantage of the rebate would be better for me?

This is assuming property price is 320K and APR of what the big banks are offering for 80% vs 70-80%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

ifaour wrote: »
    Did someone workout the math to see if getting a mortgage on 80% LTV to avail of the tax rebate is better OR if I can bring the LTV down to, say 75% and not take advantage of the rebate would be better for me?

This is assuming property price is 320K and APR of what the big banks are offering for 80% vs 70-80%

They already lowered the bar to 70% minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

The 600k threshold will remain until 31st December so once contracts are signed before then, we qualify!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The 600k threshold will remain until 31st December so once contracts are signed before then, we qualify!!

Can you source this, please?

Can you source this, please?

Yes, spoke to Michael McGrath this afternoon who confirmed this will be noted in the bill when published.

Yes, spoke to Michael McGrath this afternoon who confirmed this will be noted in the bill when published.

I doubt this to be the case, especially when FF were the ones pushing for the 500k limit. Not saying you're lying but he might be.

I doubt this to be the case, especially when FF were the ones pushing for the 500k limit. Not saying you're lying but he might be.

Have an e mail from Barry Cowen too confirming the same. Said it's unfair to remove it for current year transactions given that people would have acted upon the original announcement.

• Advertisement

Have an e mail from Barry Cowen too confirming the same. Said it's unfair to remove it for current year transactions given that people would have acted upon the original announcement.

I guess that's fair.
    Now we are left high and dry and we are short 20k of the purchase price.

Keep in mind the rebate is paid next year and you will need to qualify for the mortgage without the rebate.

I guess that's fair.

Keep in mind the rebate is paid next year and you will need to qualify for the mortgage without the rebate.

I do need to mind that alright. I think we are not drawing down till April so will apply for rebate in January.

I do need to mind that alright. I think we are not drawing down till April so will apply for rebate in January.

Good luck.

Not too many below 350k southside. Perhaps the 20% up to 400k would be a compromise? Dunnno why you are adement of 350K? We are in the position of having found a new build we loved and missed phase 1, waited 6 months for phase 2 but they jumped by 30k or so and couldnt afford but then this scheme was announced later so we can now purchase.

I am not adamant on it. The number has to be high enough that it won't completely put off developers in the likes of Dublin, elsewhere it really just has to be above the price of the house build plus a reasonable profit for the area.

I tried to pick a number that covered in reasonable areas, land price, build price, modest (but not unreasonable) profit for the developer. 350k might be too little or too much. The number also has to be low enough not to incentivise developers to throw on an extra 20k to their new build price tag in expensive areas.

With this in mind, developers can start the builds with a specific price point in mind that is not out of the reach of first time buyers with the supplement, but not such grandiose builds in already over priced areas that they would just knock these people away regardless.

The bill should be there to incentivise new builds in many areas. Some areas will not apply because they are already to built up (although it might incentivise knock downs and rebuilding of houses to build up 3 story houses or apartment blocks).

If you have saved up enough to buy a house worth 500k+ on your first purchase, then you obviously can either wait or you can buy somewhere cheaper. For alot of first time buyers, this is not the way it works for a variety of reasons, between low income, high rents and other factors. If you can save a deposit for a 500k house, those factors are most likely not as big an effect on your life as you might perceive them to be.

Talking to the tax expert in work and she said the same. Even if details are changed about limits, it is nearly unheard of, for them not to honour the initial announcement to cover those who may have acted on the budget announcement, her version was that they take it as gospel that if a date has been announced, as in theory it is live straight away, they go with it to the 31st of December, if there was need of revision (as in this case) it would be a revised version from 1st January and if it was a complete sh1t storm, they would still leave it there for the year. Seems fair enough to me, although I would not have bought a house on the back of the original announcement but this is what people who know better than me say.

And with an exception they would usually need an even higher salary, which means they'd be in the 150-200k salary range. Even less sympathy.
    But I should be entitled to buy the new build in Rathgar which costs €1.15 million then. We shouldn't have a cap at all. Everyone should get the 20k, even if they have a deposit of 188k and a salary of 270k.

The line has to be drawn somewhere, otherwise it will be seen as a tax break for the rich.

I have to say I totally disagree with capping it on house price and having the ltv limits. It should be open to all FTBs regardless of house value or how much they need to borrow. It's the only fair system imo. Basically people who saved hard are being penalised compared to those who saved less and people able to afford more expensive houses are also being penalised.

So not only is a higher earner subsiding the day to day living of lower earners due to our very unfair tax system which penalises those who do well and gives everything to those who do nothing but now they are also helping people buy houses while they themselves are being prevented from getting the relief on their already far higher tax burden. Total bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I have to say I totally disagree with capping it on house price and having the ltv limits. It should be open to all FTBs regardless of house value or how much they need to borrow. It's the only fair system imo. Basically people who saved hard are being penalised compared to those who saved less and people able to afford more expensive houses are also being penalised.

So not only is a higher earner subsiding the day to day living of lower earners due to our very unfair tax system which penalises those who do well and gives everything to those who do nothing but now they are also helping people buy houses while they themselves are being prevented from getting the relief on their already far higher tax burden. Total bull.

I think the only fair system is to scrap the scheme altogether. At the end of the day the problem is not high income v.s. low income, it is more all taxpayers (either on low or high income) subsiding developers through this scheme which is not addressing the supply issue and hence not helping anyone but developers.

Having said hat if it has to remain, I would rather have it capped so to limit the damage in terms of wasted taxpayer's money and artificially inflated prices.

Its not really though. Houses are over priced in the eyes of many but that is what the market dictates at the minute. People who have over a certain amount available to buy, and/or wages to support a far higher mortgage, are in no need of such a scheme and applying it to them only further inflates house prices, as well as increases the burden on the exchequer.

You have some of that money going straight back into the exchequer with stamp duty, then repaid via LPT over a few years, as well as, in theory, should it take off, increasing supply of houses for first time buyers.

In the long run, if it works (and that is a huge if), the supply will come close to meeting demand. Pricing will no longer be as extortionate (but this also depends on local councils and planning authorities pulling out their finger and allowing suitable building and infrastructure developments to take place). The system can be left on the books or scrapped as new home builds will be reduced over time after increasing for several years.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Collyb101

My GF and I have only one household in the whole of Dublin we are related to. We would love to live close to them so our kids could play together etc. The area is too expensive and we are going to buy at the opposite side of Dublin. No complaints. Completely understandable. Not yapping. We cannot afford it and that's that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Collyb101 wrote: »
    My GF and I have only one household in the whole of Dublin we are related to. We would love to live close to them so our kids could play together etc. The area is too expensive and we are going to buy at the opposite side of Dublin. No complaints. Completely understandable. Not yapping. We cannot afford it and that's that.

Exactly the point a lot of people have been trying to make. Phrased perfectly. We would all love an ideal home and a grant off the government but we can't all have one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I have to say I agree with Korbin Puny Circle - capping it at a certain price is extremely arbitrary and isn't very fair. Given that the scheme is only open to first time buyers who are purchasing a new build, it isn't like the public finances are going to be blown away by the limited (in the grand scheme of things) amount of €500k+ new builds bought in Ireland each year by FTBs. The number impacted by the limit HAS to be fairly low, and practically all based in Dublin for that matter. The fact that they can raise the deposit necessary for a house of say €750,000 shouldn't matter, nor should their annual income; given that so many other across the board subsidies are available that are non means tested (children's allowance, free travel for OAPs, etc...).

If I - being a prudent man - had waited until I was in my mid-40s to buy a house, until I was married, until I had progressed my career to a level that I felt happy to take on the burden of a mortgage for the first time, I'd be a bit peeved that a new build that costs €500,001 would mean this rebate was unavailable to me, but one that cost €499,999 was deemed 'an average house' or whatever by the court of public opinion! I'm not arguing from personal interest here (bought a modest second-hand entry-level house last year so am no longer an FTB) but can definitely see why on an objective level this arbitrary house price cap is quite unfair, it simply doesn't make any sense. Why not cap it at €400,000, €300,000 or €200,000 if the object of the exercise is to incentivise the building of 'starter' homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think the only fair system is to scrap the scheme altogether. At the end of the day the problem is not high income v.s. low income, it is more all taxpayers (either on low or high income) subsiding developers through this scheme which is not addressing the supply issue and hence not helping anyone but developers.

Having said hat if it has to remain, I would rather have it capped so to limit the damage in terms of wasted taxpayer's money and artificially inflated prices.
    However, I'd also like to add that my preferred option would definitely be to scrap the scheme in its entirety, as mentioned above :) I just think that if the scheme is here to stay that price caps of any kind are manifestly unfair, given that it's open solely to FTBs buying new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

ionapaul wrote: »
    However, I'd also like to add that my preferred option would definitely be to scrap the scheme in its entirety, as mentioned above :) I just think that if the scheme is here to stay that price caps of any kind are manifestly unfair, given that it's open solely to FTBs buying new builds.

I'd say try it for a year. See what happens, if it's not looking like it's going to work announce mid-year that its likely not to continue or it will be reformed. Scrapping it now would be crazy and anyway it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I was reading FAQs about the scheme and it mentions that for dwellings bought after January 2017 the rebate will be paid directly to the contractor. At risk of sounding stupid, what does this mean exactly for the buyer? A smaller deposit required? Or just a smaller borrowed sum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Both.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

So will banks accept a deposit of X minus the 5% when applying?

If originally I needed let's say 33k I could get a mortgage with a 19k+ deposit? Or would they expect the 33k regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

izzyflusky wrote: »
    So will banks accept a deposit of X minus the 5% when applying?

If originally I needed let's say 33k I could get a mortgage with a 19k+ deposit? Or would they expect the 33k regardless?

The bank will factor it in, so the lower amount still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Can someone walk me through trying to gain a 70% LTV loan for the help to buy scheme in the following scenario.

House price: 380,000
    Salary + performance based bonus : 70k + 11k

70k * 3.5 = 245,000 (central bank 3.5 times salary rule)
    70% of 380,00 is 266,000

Where does the help to buy money fit into the above equation? Anyway for me to qualify for the mortgage?

How do bonuses count towards the 3.5 times salary rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

All help to buy discussion goes in this thread as per thread title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

cronos wrote: »
    Can someone walk me through trying to gain a 70% LTV loan for the help to buy scheme in the following scenario.

House price: 380,000
    Salary + performance based bonus : 70k + 11k

70k * 3.5 = 245,000 (central bank 3.5 times salary rule)
    70% of 380,00 is 266,000

Where does the help to buy money fit into the above equation? Anyway for me to qualify for the mortgage?

How do bonuses count towards the 3.5 times salary rule?

Banks count between 30 and 50% of the previous years commission / bonus towards your income when multiplying.

It is possibly an exception could be made given the salary level.

Advertisement