Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont have my own one bed... I do share. There are two points here 1. you may be fine on that amount, if you are outside of Dublin or are not paying current market rent, even on a house share (or if you bought somewhere modest during the bust) 2. Its a ludicrously low amount for them to take over half your income...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Idbatterim wrote: »
    average areas of Dublin are looking for more than this for average 1 beds...

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/dundrum/dundrum-castle-house-dundrum-dublin-1676640/

Just leave Dublin at that stage.

A job flipping burgers in some midlands town is better than struggling to live in that overpriced kip we call a capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

lawlolawl wrote: »

A job flipping burgers in some midlands town is better than struggling to live in that overpriced kip we call a capital.

Except maybe I fancy having a career rather than flipping burgers for life?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Hahahana, you're a funny guy. Dublin in the only place worth living in this country.

Cina wrote: »
    I lived off it for around 4-5 years, had no issues paying bills, a nice place to rent, enjoying myself, having a car, a pension, VHI, going on holidays, and throwing €600 of it into savings every month. And that was in Dublin, easily the most expensive area of Ireland.

It's really not feck all, not if you're in any way responsible.

Not saying you can't live a decent life of it (though I'd question about doing it in Dublin) but it's far from a great wage than some are making it out to be. It also takes a lot more than 33800 to get 2,344 into your hand for the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Hahahana, you're a funny guy. Dublin in the only place worth living in this country.

That's a bit of a silly statement in fairness.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

I don't know if you are being ironic but if you aren't then i truly feel sorry for you if you really think that.

Except maybe I fancy having a career rather than flipping burgers for life?

Well that career must be pretty **** if it doesn't provide enough money to live in overpriced, ****ty Dublin.

Jobs are for making the most money possible with the least effort and getting the **** out as early as possible to enjoy your real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Well that career must be pretty **** if it doesn't provide enough money to live in overpriced, ****ty Dublin.

Jobs are for making the most money possible with the least effort and getting the **** out as early as possible to enjoy your real life.

That's a job. Some people want to have a career and enjoy what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

So people who don't have to pay Dublin rent now, and bought houses at the bottom of the price swing in 2010 aren't struggling. Congratulations.

Try paying 1400 quid a month rent with it going up every year and come back to me.

Yeh. or people who used to live in Dublin when it was cheaper. I'm not a renter but my sister is. To keep a family going in the rental sector on <50k is nigh impossible. And fraught with worry about next year's rent.

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    That's a job. Some people want to have a career and enjoy what they do.

Ah, you swallowed the bull**** of "a career".

Genius concept really, keep people working for mediocre pay by convincing them that taking 40+ hours a week out of their real life to work for some asshole is actually a good thing.

They'd replace you in the morning if they could get someone to do the same thing cheaper and they are constantly trying to find a reason to get rid of your job altogether by "improving efficiency".

Ah, you swallowed the bull**** of "a career".

Genius concept really, keep people working for mediocre pay by convincing them that taking 40+ hours a week out of their real life to work for some asshole is actually a good thing.

They'd replace you in the morning if they could get someone to do the same thing cheaper and they are constantly trying to find a reason to get rid of your job altogether by "improving efficiency".

Why are you so bitter towards people who are ambitious?

Why are you so bitter towards people who are ambitious?

Their ambition is to make **** money and struggle financially so that they can continue to live in Dublin for some ungodly reason?

That's a weird ambition to have. A job is just a means of making money to live, find one that involves the least effort for the most pay.

**** all this dog**** about "careers" and whatnot. You get a very short span of time on this planet and you will regret breaking your bollocks for your "career" later in life if you weren't absolutely coining it in and got out early.

Whatever company/organisation that employed you will stop caring about you the day you retire so nothing before than even matters beyond what you got for working for them.

Their ambition is to make **** money and struggle financially so that they can continue to live in Dublin for some ungodly reason?

That's a weird ambition to have. A job is just a means of making money to live, find one that involves the least effort for the most pay.

**** all this dog**** about "careers" and whatnot. You get a very short span of time on this planet and you will regret breaking your bollocks for your "career" later in life if you weren't absolutely coining it in and got out early.

Whatever company/organisation that employed you will stop caring about you the day you retire so nothing before than even matters beyond what you got for working for them.

Nail on the head. Everyone's an idiot but you.

Nail on the head. Everyone's an idiot but you.

Dude, i'm not even having a go at you. Just take a step back and look at your life and the place work has in it. It's a bizarre concept.

You get a really limited time to be alive so you have to maximize the enjoyable parts of it. Having to be in a certain pace at a certain time for a certain duration doing a certain thing "or else" is a really ****ty part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dude, i'm not even having a go at you. Just take a step back and look at your life and the place work has in it. It's a bizarre concept.

You get a really limited time to be alive so you have to maximize the enjoyable parts of it. Having to be in a certain pace at a certain time for a certain duration doing a certain thing "or else" is a really ****ty part of life.

Are you married?

Why bother working at all then? Why not just claim the dole? No work, lots of free time, rent allowance etc. Sorted.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are you married?

God no, why would i do a stupid thing like that?

Why bother working at all then? Why not just claim the dole? No work, lots of free time, rent allowance etc. Sorted.

I ****ed up and started working when i was 18 and didn't get some yung wan up the pole.

The dole would be ****e for me and i'd probably end up homeless because it isn't sexy to give single men social housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I was not working for 9 months there, the last 6 were soul distroying I couldn't wait to get back to work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I ****ed up and started working when i was 18 and didn't get some yung wan up the pole.

The dole would be ****e for me and i'd probably end up homeless because it isn't sexy to give single men social housing.

I don't think anyone gets social housing now. Being put up in a one star hotel don't sound too glamorous

God no, why would i do a stupid thing like that?

Married. Partnered. Half-serious girlfriended. Whatever. The point is, Grasshopper, when you form relationships with people, they tend to form certain expectations, as do you. Some of us of a certain age are quite happy to be in the middle of reasonably lucrative careers that allow us to live well, fulfill our obligations, provide for a reasonably secure future, and cover the bread-and-boots-and-haircuts end of it while, the odd - usually idiot-driven - panic aside, allowing us to pursue matters of genuine interest. How could it be otherwise? Bates furk out of working. ;-)

Married. Partnered. Half-serious girlfriended. Whatever. The point is, Grasshopper, when you form relationships with people, they tend to form certain expectations, as do you. Some of us of a certain age are quite happy to be in the middle of reasonably lucrative careers that allow us to live well, fulfill our obligations, provide for a reasonably secure future, and cover the bread-and-boots-and-haircuts end of it while, the odd - usually idiot-driven - panic aside, allowing us to pursue matters of genuine interest. How could it be otherwise? Bates furk out of working. ;-)

I don't really get your point here :confused:

You should work a job for less money because your partner has expectations or something? What?

I was a Cat bulldozer mechanic when I was 18. Under a D10 in January with a butt of a shovel to dig yourself out in case she sank, with a 300kg clutch on my chest. My father owned them, and I got £1,000 for that kind of job, back when money was fcukan money. Most are not as lucky as I was, and I eventually decided that was a hard life, money or no money.

Yes, I can see that.

I think most people know that, there is nothing wrong with self interest.

I'm driven by self interest as well. My interest is making enough money as easily and quickly as possible to be able to not have to work anymore and retire as soon as possible to live my real life.

I don't give a **** about having a career, i give a **** about making money so i'll jump at any opportunity to make more. Any career i have ends the second i step outside the door in work in the evening.

You should work a job for less money because your partner has expectations or something? What?

If you're male, and I think you are, women love ambition in a man. A lot of them find it sexy as fook, and they a love a man that's either going places, or making shapes like he's gonna go places. That should be motivation enough for ya :)

I'm driven by self interest as well. My interest is making enough money as easily and quickly as possible to be able to not have to work anymore and retire as soon as possible to live my real life.

I don't give a **** about having a career, i give a **** about making money so i'll jump at any opportunity to make more. Any career i have ends the second i step outside the door in work in the evening.

Your "Real Life" will be largely confined to the dreaded "Friend Zone" with that attitude. :D

If you're male, and I think you are, women love ambition in a man. A lot of them find it sexy as fook, and they a love a man that's either going places, or making shapes like he's gonna go places. That should be motivation enough for ya :)

I've reached a point in my life where i've just gotten sick of chasing women. Too much effort for **** all reward and i don't want to have kids so it's all a bit pointless.

Also, at the end of it all, after however many years you'll be stuck with an auld one. What kind of reward is that? Who would willingly walk into that?

I'll take money and being able to do whatever i want instead.

• Advertisement

Your "Real Life" will be largely confined to the dreaded "Friend Zone" with that attitude. :D

Oh no, the friend zone!?!?!?!

I'll take not giving a **** whether women exist or not instead.

Advertisement