Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seamus Power has a start on the PGA Tour this week.

He played on the Korn Ferry Tour for the last 2 weeks and missed the cuts by 6 & 9 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I was very surprised he was so far off the standard.
    He had been saying on Golf Weekly POD that he felt his game was in good shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just shows how hard it is and how high the standard is. He and Paul Dunne good solid pros who looked to have the ability to play at the top, ditto loss of form, some bad luck and you can be chewed up and spat out fairly quickly.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I was very surprised he was so far off the standard.
    He had been saying on Golf Weekly POD that he felt his game was in good shape!
    ah sure you can never believe what a player says about their own game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

Has Seamus always been this long off the tee? His average driving distance today is 333 yards, which seems to be longer than most.

• Advertisement

A nice round today of 5 birdies and 13 pars. 2 shots off the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

OEP wrote: »
    Has Seamus always been this long off the tee? His average driving distance today is 333 yards, which seems to be longer than most.

I think he's always been long and would get majority of his birdies on Par 5s.
    Driving Distance Avg 332.5 yds this week with Driving Accuracy of 85.71%. I guess you'd need a high accuracy to get a a high Distance number.
    He's right up there with Bubba but well short of Bryson on 358.5yds with only Accuracy of 57.14% though :)

I flicked through some of the bigger name players on the PGA Tour website and looked at their drives for each hole using that Play by Play option, and for the most part Seamus was driving further than them - shorter than Bryson though!

Tied for the lead now after birdies on the 2nd and 3rd holes of his second round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I think he's always been long and would get majority of his birdies on Par 5s.
    Driving Distance Avg 332.5 yds this week with Driving Accuracy of 85.71%. I guess you'd need a high accuracy to get a a high Distance number.
    He's right up there with Bubba but well short of Bryson on 358.5yds with only Accuracy of 57.14% though :)

Accuracy on drives is an redundant stat now when distance is up there where lads the likes of Dechambeau can hit it. I remember when 358yards was a respectable enough par 4 hole. And that's his average? Jaysus, that's outragous. I remember when par 5 took 3 shots too. He'd probably be as good even if he could only carry 3 clubs - driver wedge and putter. That's all you need now. It's really spoiling the game. Fair play to him and all he doesn't make the rules. But the rules people have to sort this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Great to see him doing well. Hopefully he can put together 4 rounds unlike so often last year where he often had put himself in a good position early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Great to see him doing well. Hopefully he can put together 4 rounds unlike so often last year where he often had put himself in a good position early on.

Leading by 1 now, 6 under through 14. As you say really hope he can do 4 rounds of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

It's 2 rounds in the 60's and bogey free.

He has to have a good 3rd round. No point falling away and the head gone for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Cracking two rounds from him. Has been well off the pace the first two weeks on the KF tour so this is a very welcome surprise.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great performance so far after some poor form, hopefully it continues.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

Great start. Hopefully he can keep the nerves at bay. Hopefully no crowds will help him over the weekend as I guess he doesn’t have many on the week days

Accuracy on drives is an redundant stat now when distance is up there where lads the likes of Dechambeau can hit it. I remember when 358yards was a respectable enough par 4 hole. And that's his average? Jaysus, that's outragous. I remember when par 5 took 3 shots too. He'd probably be as good even if he could only carry 3 clubs - driver wedge and putter. That's all you need now. It's really spoiling the game. Fair play to him and all he doesn't make the rules. But the rules people have to sort this.
    Mad distances OK. I doubt driving accuracy is redundant though. If your drives are on the fairways then they will run further. Also they have much more control over the shot to the green if playing from the fairways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Mad distances OK. I doubt driving accuracy is redundant though. If your drives are on the fairways then they will run further. Also they have much more control over the shot to the green if playing from the fairways.

I think we tend to see the distance/accuracy thing from the angle of the likes of regular type golfers not from these boys who really can bomb it out there. And its not just about being a bit further down the fairway so that you can take a club less or whatever, its about busting the crap out of it so that if you keep putting it that far from the tee, then spraying doesnt really matter because your going to end up so close to the green that unless your stuck behind a tree then it isnt really going to hurt you. So you bomb it. On some you pure it and you almost drive the green or youve just got a wedge in your hand home. And you cash in big time. Yes, some will be off line, but if your only 70 yards or whatever from the hole then you can probably find a way to get it there or at worst save your par without big time stress. Plus your taking many or most of the fairway bunkers out of play so theres that too. Then yes, theres a few where youl pay the penalty. But we think of them being in the rough and still having to hit a serious iron like we might. But the rough for these lads, especially inside a hundred yards is nothing. They are still thinking birdie time. So it has become all about the long drive, and dechambeau has figures those are the odds to go for and really, distance be dambed.

And bloody hell, Power hitting it 300 yards both left and right handed, thats bloody impressive too. He should go on a gym programme and really build himself big because that shows that he really has super athletic coordination to do that. 300 yards soon wont be cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Massive opportunity going into the weekend, hope he grabs it with both hands and if it's enough to get the job done all the better

I think we tend to see the distance/accuracy thing from the angle of the likes of regular type golfers not from these boys who really can bomb it out there. And its not just about being a bit further down the fairway so that you can take a club less or whatever, its about busting the crap out of it so that if you keep putting it that far from the tee, then spraying doesnt really matter because your going to end up so close to the green that unless your stuck behind a tree then it isnt really going to hurt you. So you bomb it. On some you pure it and you almost drive the green or youve just got a wedge in your hand home. And you cash in big time. Yes, some will be off line, but if your only 70 yards or whatever from the hole then you can probably find a way to get it there or at worst save your par without big time stress. Plus your taking many or most of the fairway bunkers out of play so theres that too. Then yes, theres a few where youl pay the penalty. But we think of them being in the rough and still having to hit a serious iron like we might. But the rough for these lads, especially inside a hundred yards is nothing. They are still thinking birdie time. So it has become all about the long drive, and dechambeau has figures those are the odds to go for and really, distance be dambed.

And bloody hell, Power hitting it 300 yards both left and right handed, thats bloody impressive too. He should go on a gym programme and really build himself big because that shows that he really has super athletic coordination to do that. 300 yards soon wont be cutting it.

Yeah. They need to put ponds, trees, 10ft deep bunkers from 300 to 350 yds. Something which says, "Go for it but if you miss it's going to hurt you big time".
    It's interesting to hear the views here about Corballis. A tiny, short course where us amateurs can easily get as close to the green as the pros do on the long courses. But if you miss.... deep bunkers, bad lies, long grass.

• Advertisement

He has hit a few 340 yard drives this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

bogeyy free 36 holes is good going

also this "At the 453-yard par-4 second, Seamus Power reached the green in 2 and rolled a 46-foot putt for birdie"
    if yea start sinking 40 foot birds your going to have a good day

the next 36 holes he needs to be under par both days to get a good high finish spot
    -20 will win this so that's a hard ask to get but -2 both days would leave him top 10 i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

woodyg wrote: »
    bogeyy free 36 holes is good going

also this "At the 453-yard par-4 second, Seamus Power reached the green in 2 and rolled a 46-foot putt for birdie"
    if yea start sinking 40 foot birds your going to have a good day

the next 36 holes he needs to be under par both days to get a good high finish spot
    -20 will win this so that's a hard ask to get but -2 both days would leave him top 10 i reckon

I suspect he might need better than that for top 10. He is only 6 ahead of the cut which was -5. I suspect -15 may not be top 20 unless course is mad significantly more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

An OK start today, should have birdied 7.

Top 10 get him into next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

has he been on camera??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

gypsy79 wrote: »
    has he been on camera??
    Don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Happy4all wrote:
    Don't think so

A few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all