Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I will say one thing.

From switching over from RTE commentary at half/ full time to hear Roy Keane on ITV.

a- English ad breaks go on forever

b- their ads are x10 worse, cheesier, more moronic than what we get

I seriously can't remember them being this bad 20 years ago when we all watched UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great lidl add in fairness, a danny healy rae turnip that no one can understand complaining about beef and a bottle of orange ?.... i think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭CoBo55

great lidl add in fairness, a danny healy rae turnip that no one can understand complaining about beef and a bottle of orange ?.... i think

I can't understand one single word in that dreadful Ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The Three ad, with the father and son. I have to mute it.

It starts with 'Liam, I'm on the move...'. That's all I know. And it's on every ad break. :rolleyes:

I hate that prick of a son up in the big city in his fancy apartment while his father is at home on the farm busting a gut to get a few jobs done....

I would be ashamed of him

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I will say one thing.

From switching over from RTE commentary at half/ full time to hear Roy Keane on ITV.

I seriously can't remember them being this bad 20 years ago when we all watched UTV.

12mins per hour now, not sure it was less back in the day, also UTV is now owned by ITV plc so its less likely your watching NI ads, which in the past would have been also aimed at the ROI market, but with the demise of UTV on Virgin Media and Sky since 2015 this is no longer the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I hate that prick of a son up in the big city in his fancy apartment while his father is at home on the farm busting a gut to get a few jobs done....

I would be ashamed of him

Couldn't agree more. It's that up their own a*se marketing types patronising the rural bumpkin effort. Add in the stale target advertisers love to pile in on, the old white guy.

RTE seem to have pretty sharpish dropped the bizarre disjointed ads where regular people appear to be having conversations with their current affairs presenters.

The broadcaster who brings you ''the Truth'' and yet it's very unusual they have been sued for many libelous claims they made in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rte+libel&rlz=1C1ONGR_enIE946IE946&oq=rte+libel&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i10i22i30.2901j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back to the BANK OF IRELAND ad where the mother joins the family in their new house, I assume following the death of her husband.

This is a real case of mixing up generations and making them older than they are, there are very few women her age that would be living in a house that remained the same from the early 1980s.

You could possibly go 20 to 30 years older to get that type of furniture and décor.

And what ever about giving a room to your mother-in-law there is no way that you'd be inclined to do her room up as she had it at home.

It's grand. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    There ya go.

Fairly high chance that a lot of his spit is landing on the crisps too, the dirty fecker.

Dreadful shoite!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I will say one thing.

I've noticed that too. Had zero access to UK TV for a good few years until recently and their ads are as bad overall as ours. I missed the humorous and classy ads you'd get from the UK. Some ads from the 70's, 80's and 90's were as memorable and iconic as TV shows themselves. It seems like they're a thing of the past now too.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that too. Had zero access to UK TV for a good few years until recently and their ads are as bad overall as ours. I missed the humorous and classy ads you'd get from the UK. Some ads from the 70's, 80's and 90's were as memorable and iconic as TV shows themselves. It seems like they're a thing of the past now too.

Absolutely. Funny ads are all but gone now, few if any would be remembered in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i know we are supposed to be despising adverts on here but the tune for the ford kuga advert is serious , a 50 years old tune by the genius producer and film composer Vangelis back in the day , Has all the hallmarks of a King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard classic

adverts i despise .......anything with philip schofield in we buy any car .com adverts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Elmo wrote: »
    Back to the BANK OF IRELAND ad where the mother joins the family in their new house, I assume following the death of her husband.

This is a real case of mixing up generations and making them older than they are, there are very few women her age that would be living in a house that remained the same from the early 1980s.

You could possibly go 20 to 30 years older to get that type of furniture and décor.

And what ever about giving a room to your mother-in-law there is no way that you'd be inclined to do her room up as she had it at home.

It's grand. :mad:

Seen that as twice and now hate it.
    Here ya go mam. Well do it up mam. welcome home mam.
    Mam mam mam.
    Mam mam.
    Mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Every time I turn on ITV I see ads featuring that Go Compare prick talking to himself like he is some kind of megastar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

That domino's ad .... Jesus H Christ who ever came up with that should be shot !!!!

Everytime it comes on I change channel or turn sound to zero ....

Talk about annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That domino's ad .... Jesus H Christ who ever came up with that should be shot !!!!

Talk about annoying
    And they are spamming us on every channel during every sngle break :mad:

The only reason I can think for this ad is that Dominos are for some reason trying to bankrupt their own company, so they make an ad so incredibly annoying that it will drive away all their customers (they sort of have always done that, but this new ad really takes the biscuit).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That phone network ad with the son asking the auld lad who's doing a bad job of impersonating a farmer how he is is seriously patronising and irritating, hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm going to go a different direction: adverts I love. Very few, I will admit, but the Eve Sleep mattress one is one of my favourite ads of all time. I use it to get me moving when I'm comatose. Love the way that sloth spins around at the end. It's so cool :pac::pac:

The making of video is very good too. Also on youtube.

I'm going to go a different direction: adverts I love. Very few, I will admit, but the Eve Sleep mattress one is one of my favourite ads of all time. I use it to get me moving when I'm comatose. Love the way that sloth spins around at the end. It's so cool :pac::pac:

The making of video is very good too. Also on youtube.

Different thread.......there's a clue in the title

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

What do we make of the new SuperValu ad https://youtu.be/hsglKvqqahI

Bold step for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Bold step for them

An advert has to standout to get noticed, and give the deluge of such proclaiming corporate wokeness and box-ticking, is sinks into an embarrassing mediocrity. No wonder the comments are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Those ads for life insurance and commemorative coins that go on forever.
    There should be a rule across the board: no ad can be longer than 30 seconds

Bold step for them

It is basically a copy of the

Allianz League AIB ad
    The LILD ladies football ad
    The Littlewoods camogie ad

.... just for woke-ness!

Bring

It

On

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

so they make an ad so incredibly annoying that it will drive away all their customers.

Their pizzas do that. They don't need bad ads to help:P

Manach wrote: »
    An advert has to standout to get noticed, and give the deluge of such proclaiming corporate wokeness and box-ticking, is sinks into an embarrassing mediocrity. No wonder the comments are off.

These woke muppets never have the courage of their conviction to face criticism. They all run for the hills to their safe spaces like cowards when they hurl the sh1t in case it rains back down on them.

In fairness to the participants in the ad, I would doubt that they have any chip on their shoulder. They are just seizing the opportunity to make a few bob, and good luck to them, unlike the cynical marketers who came up with the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,888 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

oneweb wrote: »
    That car ad with Tom Hardy. Sexy lad, lovely voice. But...

The instructions to him: speak stupidly slow, we're paying you for it by the second. And if you start too fast, bring it right back before the end of each sentence. Maybe a sex voice. Yeah, like you're putting your
    o_0
    into
    -.-
    get out of it, ya filthbag

It needs his grunt :P I prefer this though over the dude from Bridgerton car ad, I think both are for Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

TBF it's not a major advantage being a minority or a woman in sports at the moment and as much as I don't like branded exercises I think these sorts of messages repeated ad nauseum aimed at a sport following audience do tend to shift the culture a little bit over time and have a positive effect even if they can seem a bit inane in their execution.

Bold step for them

I prefer the recent Christmas one where John Gilligan beats the gun and drug charge in Spain to make it home to see his grandkids.

Talk about annoying

Which one.

Why do they all feature bellends talking in that Sarf Landan drill bollix. All fam and squad and goals and all that guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

There's an ad where a guy dressed in mountaineering garb is actually crawling horizontally up a main street. when he suddenly lets out a series of piercing screams. Sounds like a real half wit. Don't know what they are trying to advertise, I wouldn't touch it anyway, I hate that ad so much.

Advertisement