Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Melodeon wrote: »
    Bobby Kerr is going to be doing an item on the business of professional cycling at some point during today's Down To Business (10:00-12:00) show on Newstalk:
    https://www.newstalk.com/
    Countdown to the hi-vis and helmets texts from the listeners - 3,2,1....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suspect that's true, even though it's completely irrelevant to a discussion of professional cycling. Imagine have a F1 discussion and people texting in about footpath parking.

On now after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

That was pretty good, fair play to Bobby Kerr for letting Fox set out his stall.

Nice change from the whataboutery they were putting out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a bit creepy though, "and now I'm going to have some fun".

The image in my head is joyriding the way it's said. First time I heard it I thought it was a new RSA "someone's not making it home" ad. I can't shake that image.

Fun and cars now is diluted. Other manufacturers use terms like "responsive" "agile" "safe" etc, fun is for the track.

Heard the ad again, it's "going to play" not fun.

I stick with my RSA image

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Idleater wrote: »
    Heard the ad again, it's "going to play" not fun.

I stick with my RSA image

I heard the advert, it was cringeworthy. If they were aiming for what Harrybelafonte suggested, they missed the mark by a good bit.

I have the most important meeting of my life soon, but I think I am going to play for a bit even thought its in an hour and Dublin traffic is unpredictable. All I could think was, poor guy, the stress has sent him over the edge and he is having a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Miklos wrote: »
    That was pretty good, fair play to Bobby Kerr for letting Fox set out his stall.

Nice change from the whataboutery they were putting out yesterday.
    Neil Fox?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have the most important meeting of my life soon, but I think I am going to play for a bit even thought its in an hour and Dublin traffic is unpredictable. All I could think was, poor guy, the stress has sent him over the edge and he is having a breakdown.
    if i worked for the car company, and heard that ad on the radio, i would assume it was that sub-par mimic oliver callan taking the piss out of SUV ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Neil Fox?

Morgan.

if i worked for the car company, and heard that ad on the radio, i would assume it was that sub-par mimic oliver callan taking the piss out of SUV ads.

If I'd heard that on the radio I'd assume it was an ad for a cyclocross bike, or maybe I just think too much about cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Very sub par
    red_ken wrote: »
    If I'd heard that on the radio I'd assume it was an ad for a cyclocross bike, or maybe I just think too much about cycling.
    If they went along the line of:
    Biggest meeting of my life this morning (makes him sound like a child, they all sound big when your young), trouble sleeping, so I went out at 5am for a spin to clear the head, back by 7, shower and in my reasonably comfortable Suzuki for the way to work. I was jealous of the lads nipping by me even though I wasn't in rush hour traffic, so I decided to ace this interview, show my worth. Save the Suzuki for emergencies and events at the weekend with poor access by public transport, it would have been better.

Not only would he have a better, more secure job, he would have more free time, live longer, be healthier, look better and generally just love life, all thanks to his Suzuki showing him what he was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

All you bitches better be wearing your hi-viz because I'm out to have me some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Harassment adds more danger for women cycling in Dublin
    Written by Louise Williams, vice chair of Dublin Cycling Campaign.

I wasn't very familiar with her up to now but saw her at the Oireachtais committee meeting last week and thought she came across very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    I heard the advert, it was cringeworthy. If they were aiming for what Harrybelafonte suggested, they missed the mark by a good bit.

They have another ad out at the mo which is I personally would see as mad classist? Strong Dublin accent calling out words like Prosperity, Unity, etc and turns out they're all kids' names? Cringe.

At the same time, Skoda are one of the biggest corporate financers of cycling in Ireland in recent years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ralph Riegel: 'Vulnerable cyclists, bikers and pedestrians at greatest risk as road death figures rise'
    This year has proved particularly deadly in terms of the percentage of fatal accidents involving motorbike rider, pedal cyclist and pedestrian deaths - and the number of single-vehicle fatal accidents.

Speed remains a key concern for road safety campaigners as well as awareness of other, more vulnerable road users.

One in three lives lost so far this year on Irish roads have involved fatal accidents involving cyclists (9), motorbike riders (16) and pedestrians (25).

Traffic experts warned those three categories have a far higher risk of fatal injury when involved in collisions compared with car drivers or passengers.

A person using a motorbike on Irish roads is six times more likely to be killed than any other road user.

To make matters worse, figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development indicate a motorcyclist is two to three times more likely to be killed in Ireland than in any other European country.

Saw this on the news earlier. They need look at bringing this in everywhere possible and not just trial it in one school.

https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-county-council-introduces-school-streets-initiative

School near us has parents parked up at 1pm or earlier to collect kids not due out until 2pm clogging the road and generally being a nuisance for residents trying to get parked at their house or vans making deliveries or post. Don't even get me started on the **** show there in the mornings, you're not even safe pushing the bike on the footpath, had a car come from behind and mount the path to park two wheels on it and near clip me not that long ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Suspended sentence for man who deliberately crashed into cyclist
    Sean Kearns ordered to pay victim €10,000 after ramming him in Dublin five years ago
    CCTV footage played in Dublin Circuit Criminal Court showed Sean Kearns driving straight at cyclist Marcelo Valencia, causing him to come crashing off his bicycle on the middle of a busy road five years ago.
    Garda Michael Leahy told Elva Duffy BL, prosecuting, that Mr Valencia was cycling along the road on the day in question when a car passed by him closely, nearly knocking him down.

Mr Valencia caught up with the car, which was driven by Kearns, shortly afterwards where it was stopped at red lights. He stopped in front of the car and looked in the window to observe the driver.

The court heard Kearns noticed Mr Valenica looking at him and “got very angry”. The lights went green and he drove straight through the cyclist before driving away.
    His car was traced by gardaí­ and when interviewed, he admitted to driving the car at the time, but denied he knocked down Mr Valencia. He has six previous convictions, including dangerous driving in 2005.

Six previious convictions, including dangerous driving and he is still allowed to drive - this country is a joke
    :mad::confused::mad::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Sentencing Kearns on Monday, Judge Martin Nolan said at the very least, Kearns was “intemperate and reckless” when he struck Mr Valencia. “He was intemperate and probably in a temper,” the judge said.

Jesus wept. That makes me feel safe anyway, someone can try to murder me & if caught after leaving the scene, compensate me to the value of a 6 year old Volkswagen Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Surely the above was assault at the least and possibly attempted murder? Why is ok just because he was driving a car? And why was he allowed to keep his license? He is clearly a danger to others, no? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Sean Kearns ordered to pay victim €10,000 after ramming him in Dublin five years ago

Six previious convictions, including dangerous driving and he is still allowed to drive - this country is a joke

And good luck trying to get that money out of him too!

Edit: A civil claim has been settled out of court. Good for the cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Saw this on the news earlier. They need look at bringing this in everywhere possible and not just trial it in one school.

https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-county-council-introduces-school-streets-initiative

School near us has parents parked up at 1pm or earlier to collect kids not due out until 2pm clogging the road and generally being a nuisance for residents trying to get parked at their house or vans making deliveries or post. Don't even get me started on the **** show there in the mornings, you're not even safe pushing the bike on the footpath, had a car come from behind and mount the path to park two wheels on it and near clip me not that long ago.
    I passed one of those schools this morning. There was a nice buzz and it was noticeable how much less traffic there was. Though, I suspect it will be a lot harder to close roads like that outside schools on a main road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in a case like the above, can the cyclist appeal an unduly lenient sentence? or would that be up to the DPP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

He warned Kearns that if he comes before the court again, even for a trivial matter, then he would be in danger of going to jail.

Ah, the oft talked about last chance. Until the next last chance.

plodder wrote: »
    I passed one of those schools this morning. There was a nice buzz and it was noticeable how much less traffic there was. Though, I suspect it will be a lot harder to close roads like that outside schools on a main road.
    i came down ballygall road earlier, past st. kevin's, and the road was effectively down to a single lane due to all the parking on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Judge Nolan strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

In what I believe to be a first, the comments in the journal are universally on the side of the cyclist and condemning the driver and the sentence.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-driver-who-crashed-into-cyclist-courts-4905751-Nov2019/

I expect this sentence is going to be appealed by the DPP as being unduly lenient.

Saw the headline and made a guess as to the judge involved. Sure enough Martin Nolan ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

in a case like the above, can the cyclist appeal an unduly lenient sentence? or would that be up to the DPP?

In a civil matter yes, but in a criminal one, no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ah, the oft talked about last chance. Until the next last chance.

Would the sentence have been any different if the driver had rammed another car and drove off, I wonder? (As opposed to making a concerted effort to do maximum damage to a vulnerable flesh and blood human). Would it have been more severe, even??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/15000-drivers-will-be-one-speeding-offence-away-from-ban-under-shane-ross-new-penalty-points-plan-38726934.html

'15,000 drivers will be one speeding offence away from ban under Shane Ross' new penalty points plan.'

Oh god help us! Will someone think of the poor drivers!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement