Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, it's started in the comments on the facebook link to the article. the irony is juicy and bitter.

anyway, in more positive news, Louise Williams and Ciaran Ferrie had a few minutes of relative sanity on drivetime, the topic mainly centred around abuse and harrassment of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Re car ads, there’s a new target market trending there, the men who “aren’t allowed” to feel manly anymore and feel disconnected from apparently manly things their elders did, so overcompensate, market.

The kind for whom cutting wood or setting up a tent involves a €200 axe used only on ash or a custom made pocket knife with Damascus steel and a custom leather scabbard they wear in their hunting camouflaged trousers in their €450 RAB sleeping back. All of which they almost never use but insist on 100s of photos for social media when they do.

Maybe I’m ranting but I’m aware of too many people like this and I feel that trend washes over in many other behaviors, including attitude on the road.

waaaaaaay ahead of you there mate:

https://www.fine-tools.com/axt.html

cant beat a good Hultafors

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hang on, these posts are jumping between splitting wood and felling/chopping wood. we need clarity in what's being discussed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

waaaaaaay ahead of you there mate:

https://www.fine-tools.com/axt.html

cant beat a good Hultafors

I think I’m ahead of you... I actually bought this from them five years ago and use it almost everyday in the colder months

https://www.fine-tools.com/jigata-nata.html

But my point is not cost, my point was more about cost to usage.

Back to cycling. Apologies for my tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Was just listening to Pat Kenny. He had Eamon Ryan on talking about cyclists. All the usual topics,but then ended up with dogs now requiring hi viz...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I find it fascinating in a lot of ways that humans managed to become the dominant species on the planet, given how much of an evolutionary disadvantage not being able to see predators who weren't wearing hi-viz must have presented.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Was just listening to Pat Kenny. He had Eamon Ryan on talking about cyclists. All the usual topics,but then ended up with dogs now requiring hi viz...

And helmets too!!!

495724.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stark wrote: »
    I find it fascinating in a lot of ways that humans managed to become the dominant species on the planet, given how much of an evolutionary disadvantage not being able to see predators who weren't wearing hi-viz must have presented.

But we can easily spot our food

27091ddc8cda8355f160098ba9a6655b--northern-irish-safety-first.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Perhaps we should have a Politics and Cycling thread:

Oireachtas Transport Committee 20 November 2019 with presentations from I BIKE Dublin, Dublin Cycling and Cycling Ireland https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/hourly/cr4/cr4_20191120T085959.000001.mp4

Senator Gerard Craughwell speaking to Dail 20 November 2019 after I BIKE Dublin brought him out cycling in Dublin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxACPdmx1k&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭micar

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Perhaps we should have a Politics and Cycling thread:

Oireachtas Transport Committee 20 November 2019 with presentations from I BIKE Dublin, Dublin Cycling and Cycling Ireland https://oireachtas.heanet.ie/hourly/cr4/cr4_20191120T085959.000001.mp4

I originally come from Drogheda and am neighbour of Fergus O'Dowd who lives a few doors away.

E bikes was spoken about as a way to get older people cycling. Fergus' next door neighbout is in his late 70s and actually has an e bike. Having spoken to him recently, he goes off a few times a week on it and he absolutely loves it.

No doubt Fergus is fully aware that he cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pinch Flat wrote: »

It's so beautiful.

Driver claims to have pulled in to tweet, but there is a video of him following the cyclist further on in his feed...pulled in to tweet my eye!
    Although it is possible he pulled in in traffic, took out the phone, grabbed the image, tweeted, pulled back out and made it back behind the cyclist...

Anyway, such a glorious moment.

eeeee wrote: »
    It's so beautiful.

Driver claims to have pulled in to tweet, but there is a video of him following the cyclist further on in his feed...pulled in to tweet my eye!
    Although it is possible he pulled in in traffic, took out the phone, grabbed the image, tweeted, pulled back out and made it back behind the cyclist...

Yeah Morto for him. Tagged the Garda twitter account as well. What a dope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's so beautiful.

He didn't pull in within the next 3 minutes in that traffic, it might be a dashcam but he done that in traffic. it would have taken a few seconds to pull the pic, a few to write the tweet. My money is on a dashcam/phone holder and screenshot it then posted. Thats why he swerves out slightly coming round the corner, that is typical on the phone behaviour, you see it every morning, that slight deflection because they are not really focused on the driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

micar wrote: »
    I originally come from Drogheda and am neighbour of Fergus O'Dowd who lives a few doors away.

E bikes was spoken about as a way to get older people cycling. Fergus' next door neighbout is in his late 70s and actually has an e bike. Having spoken to him recently, he goes off a few times a week on it and he absolutely loves it.

A few times a week? I meet that gent so often on his bike, I wonder does he ever go home.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A few times a week? I meet that gent so often on his bike, I wonder does he ever go home.

I've a fella in in mind who matches the profile , though could be a different fella. Always wears a hi vis and dark sun glasses? Distinctive looking bike with pannier rack and a bag on only side?

Might not be the same guy but see this fella often and last I saw him he was taking a left off Matthews lane onto the R152 and taking the lane along the narrow stretch you have there with a continuous white line along there.

I was actually worried about this guy as I'd not seem him in a good while, since maybe last year and now I see him again 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe he was in the garage for some repairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

This is beautiful and really should go viral. The taxi driver was absolutely found out there. Trying to be 'funny' in order to get a few cheap likes and RTs.

I cycle along the Willie Nolan Road and towards the Baldoyle Lidl most days, it's a deathtrap with cars parked at the post office and the nearby parks for sports at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah Morto for him. Tagged the Garda twitter account as well. What a dope.

Yeah and I’d guess it’s because he tagged the Garda twitter that he ended up being so meek and polite. Was afraid of getting into some real trouble. Twat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

hesker wrote: »
    Yeah and I’d guess it’s because he tagged the Garda twitter that he ended up being so meek and polite. Was afraid of getting into some real trouble. Twat

He needn't have bothered, it's Ireland not the UK, our police force won't touch anything like that, you know, accusations and proof unless he pops down to the station and writes, signs.and dates his confession, in regards traffic law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭xckjoo

micar wrote: »

I see a few older lads around Galway on eBikes. There's one guy who does Deliveroo. Started on a standard bike but converted to an eBike along the way and now zips around with a couple of spare batteries. Dunno what his story is but he's always about on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Should point out that the cyclist is an occasional poster here under another name. I'm pretty sure he's posted cross-over posts before linking to his tweets but I won't take off his mask in case I have that wrong! Anyway, he played a blinder there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've a fella in in mind who matches the profile , though could be a different fella. Always wears a hi vis and dark sun glasses? Distinctive looking bike with pannier rack and a bag on only side?

Might not be the same guy but see this fella often and last I saw him he was taking a left off Matthews lane onto the R152 and taking the lane along the narrow stretch you have there with a continuous white line along there.

I was actually worried about this guy as I'd not seem him in a good while, since maybe last year and now I see him again 2 or 3 times a week. Maybe he was in the garage for some repairs :D

That's the man.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

‘Sexy’ cycling and the need for education
    Sir, – With so many children now glued to devices and obesity rates rising, it’s a compounding shame to see that the incidence of girls cycling to school is also tanking (Sylvia Thompson, Health, October 23rd).

First disturbing observation is how quick the conversation turns to self-image and the need to appear “sexy”.

What has happened to society when people’s self-consciousness has been so debased, I suggest by trash TV, that putting on a helmet is an issue.

Second, Senator Gerard Craighwell on Pat Kenny’s radio show, paints a picture of Dublin as being hostile and dangerous for cyclists.

Living in a Munich, I find that cycling is a way of life for most people.

Not because they are crusty nerds who think they are better than everyone else but because it is the fastest means of transport and is safe and largely enjoyable. Why is that?

Three reasons: 1. Cycle lanes are the outermost extension of the footpath. This means we do not cycle with cars, so there is an immediate safety aspect that painting a strip on a road will never achieve. 2. Bikes have priority and special dispensations in many instances, eg. bikes can cycle the opposite direction on one-war streets, cars must give bikes priority going straight even when the traffic lights are green for cars to make left or right turns. 3. Education. Kids have to take cycle training in school up to and including ensuring their bikes are street legal.

The driving education and test enshrines the idea of pedestrians and cyclists being the main priority users of the infrastructure.

If we at least could start with education we might get somewhere. But I understand there is no longer any cycle training. Shame on us.

Like most people my age (47), I grew up on a bike, then ditched it as soon as I could drive. Moving to Munich 11 years ago reacquainted me with the two wheels again and it is an enjoyable, quick, easy (no parking), cheap and healthy option.

We really need a genuinely serious and joined up approach to getting all ages to use bicyles. My observation is the only two jurisdictions Ireland looks to replicate are the UK and US.

I think we owe it to our citizens to look at more progressive and non-English-speaking countries for other options. – Yours, etc,

SIMON BLAKE,

Munich, Germany.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/sexy-cycling-and-the-need-for-education-1.4091064

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

one-war streets

Freudian slip? :pac:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

He's gonna have to take on a hill of a lot more than bike infrastructure and the driving test of he wants to challenge the policing and judgement of female bodies, particularly young female bodies!

to challenge the policing and judgement of female bodies, particularly young female bodies!
    on a related topic:

https://journal.rouleur.cc/cyclings-me-too-moment-part-two/

That is both enraging and depressingly unsurprising. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That letter above:
    Three reasons: 1. Cycle lanes are the outermost extension of the footpath. This means we do not cycle with cars, so there is an immediate safety aspect that painting a strip on a road will never achieve.

I don't think this design is especially highly rated, though I've no direct experience of it. It's really common in Berlin anyway, and they have plenty of cyclists. It does appear, from what I saw, to make going straight ahead tricky when the main traffic lane has people turning across your trajectory.

I seem to remember that pedestrians don't like them much either:
    https://www.german-way.com/germanys-bicycle-autobahns-and-the-battle-between-cyclists-and-pedestrians/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Bobby Kerr is going to be doing an item on the business of professional cycling at some point during today's Down To Business (10:00-12:00) show on Newstalk:
    https://www.newstalk.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement