Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, look at it this way - he probably managed to destroy any chance people will remember any actual counter argument he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Fahrrad macht frei

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

1bryan wrote: »

judging by the amount of deleted comment I'd say they're regretting opening them up in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Peter Walker expresses himself well and seems thoroughly decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

damien o'tuama is going to be on matt cooper at about 5:15; to lament the very existence of george hook, i hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Are these usually left hand drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Danbo! wrote: »
    Mirror has a photo of roadsweeper

and of the bicycle underneath it from what I can see?

Oh, I didn't notice that, sorry. I'm not sure looking at it now.

Poor guy. Another middle of the day incident too, on a dry bright clear day :(

i certainly wasn't having a go at you, i figured you hadn't seen it when you didn't mention it. the paper shouldn't be publishing it if it is the case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

i certainly wasn't having a go at you, i figured you hadn't seen it when you didn't mention it. the paper shouldn't be publishing it if it is the case though.

No I know that, I mean sorry for posting it at all if it is visible. Removed anyway.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Bit insensitive of the IT to publish close-up photos of the bike. Family and clubmates could recognise a rider by their bike.

i was about to post exactly that - the bike is quite distinctive looking.

edit: I don't see an easy way to contact the journalist to request it be edited to remove those photos? am not on twitter - they have him as @jackpower83 if someone wants to message to remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Bit insensitive of the IT to publish close-up photos of the bike. Family and clubmates could recognise a rider by their bike.

RIP to the rider. Passed a sweeper myself near there (not the same one) this morning, they're a law unto themselves.

I don't agree with you, I think they are right to publish ,

I think the more cyclists see the aftermath and the more real it is with the bike showing caught underneath the slow moving truck along with the immediacy,
    May mean vulnerable road users taking extra precautions around trucks and buses tonight.

Rip to the cyclist and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

RIP to the rider. Passed a sweeper myself near there (not the same one) this morning, they're a law unto themselves.

To be honest, people need to stop hiding away from the reality of what is happening out there on our roads. Dying in a road accident is brutal, that's the reality.

To me, looking at that truck, it shouldn't be on the road that tyre in the picture to me is bald and has threads showing. What a joke, and I am not pointing the blame, but HGV drivers need to hold a higher standard of driving than others.

That's not acceptable.

Bigus wrote: »
    I think the more cyclists see the aftermath and the more real it is with the bike showing caught underneath the slow moving truck along with the immediacy,
    May mean vulnerable road users taking extra precautions around trucks and buses tonight.

While I agree with you, they shouldn't be just showing it for vulnerable road users but for all users.

Imagine, if that was you in that truck, regardless of what the circumstances are, you have to live with the trauma from this event for the rest of your life. That's not an easy burden to carry for most people.

Cyclists shouldn't be careful just around HGVs we have been killed by static people crossing out without looking. So keep your eyes peeled for everything. Then there are times your not at fault, your at the mercy of someone else's actions or inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TallGlass wrote: »
    To be honest, people need to stop hiding away from the reality of what is happening out there on our roads. Dying in a road accident is brutal, that's the reality.
    My point is that there will be people who are unaware that a family member, friend or club mate has passed away, are only learning about it from some close-up photos of their bike published by the Irish Times.

There's a protocol for this, and I think the IT have overstepped the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

My point is that there will be people who are unaware that a family member, friend or club mate has passed away, are only learning about it from some close-up photos of their bike published by the Irish Times.

Well I walked up the road and saw the same as the photographer, so who's protecting me ?

And he was taking the pictures on a long lens as I viewed the scene,

I'll restate , no harm for ordinary people see reality immediately like the unfortunate traffic corps do daily.

I understand what you are saying.

If that was me, publish away if it means it stops and gets people thinking.

It's too common a headline reading some static heading 'cyclist killed' with a stock image means nothing these days.

Actual pictures of the incident bring it home to people. I'd like to think.

posts regarding the use of photos of incident scenes have been moved here

FWIW, regarding those photos - i don't have too much of an issue with it; you see photos of aftermaths of incidents all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bigus wrote: »
    I'll restate , no harm for ordinary people see reality immediately like the unfortunate traffic corps do daily.
    I'm not disagreeing with either of you.

But it's protocol that names or identities in tragic deaths aren't released until it's confirmed that those who need to know, have been informed in private.

It's not about "protecting" people from disturbing imagery, it's about acknowledging that a person should not learn about the death of close friend/loved one from a public broadcast.

• Advertisement

i know someone who as a cub reporter was several times given the task of the 'death knock' - usually the equivalent of drawing the shortest straw in journalistic terms, calling to the family of the bereaved for a statement. obviously most journalists hated it.

damien o'tuama on today FM now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The second photo is quite shocking if you happen to have a big screen, I hadn't copped the helmet on the ground in the first one.

In two minds, I think it needs to be shown, but I think if I knew the guy it would screw me up. No idea which is the right way to go.

i know someone who as a cub reporter was several times given the task of the 'death knock' - usually the equivalent of drawing the shortest straw in journalistic terms, calling to the family of the bereaved for a statement. obviously most journalists hated it.
    actually, forgot to mention - on one of the death knocks this chap did, the door was answered, and he immediately mumbled an excuse about being at the wrong house based on the demeanour of whomever answered. as he was walking back down the driveway, a garda car was pulling up outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

This is a difficult one.

On one hand, it needs to be shown. This is the aftermath of when it all goes horribly wrong.

On the other, is the immediate aftermath the right time to plaster this kind of image over every news site and social media site going? I personally don't think so. There is a time for it, but this is not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are these usually left hand drive?

Yeah. I used to think it was dual drive but I only ever noticed the driver on the left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

actually, forgot to mention - on one of the death knocks this chap did, the door was answered, and he immediately mumbled an excuse about being at the wrong house based on the demeanour of whomever answered. as he was walking back down the driveway, a garda car was pulling up outside.

I remember a journalist calling to a friends house after his younger sibling had passed away, asking, quite uncaringly for a picture for a national paper and if he could get a few words from them.

The parish priest, a quiet man nearly threw him clean over the garden fence. It is a tough job but some people are not cut out for it.

Honestly, journalists should not be doing death knocks, it is a time of shock, grief and in time acceptance. Asking for a quote from a bereaved family shows how debased some people have become IMO

sure look at what happened with the deaths on the pier in buncrana.
    http://donegalnews.com/2016/04/mail-on-sunday-apologises-for-buncrana-interview/

iirc, the journalist claimed merely to be a well wisher and did not identify herself as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

IT has taken down the photo with the bike now. Only the other two photos of the truck remain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If that was me, publish away if it means it stops and gets people thinking.

It's too common a headline reading some static heading 'cyclist killed' with a stock image means nothing these days.

At this point I agree. As a horrible image as it is, a mangled bike and personal effects might hit home to some motorists that it's a person on the bike, not a bike that's just an impersonal piece of steel or metal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement