Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

Piece on crime call there , something to do with students and bikes and some new card they have. had it muted so switched on too late for any real details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

interesting commentary on the improvement to bus times on the quays since the change to the lane layout here

conor faughnan with a positive contribution also :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

talking about extending the 30kmph zones in Dublin on the hard shoulder (show) They have Conor Faughnan from the AA and someone from the Taxi drivers federation on to talk about it, much conflict of interest? I would have thought someone from DCC would have been on

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Borderfox wrote: »
    talking about extending the 30kmph zones in Dublin on the hard shoulder (show) They have Conor Faughnan from the AA and someone from the Taxi drivers federation on to talk about it, much conflict of interest? I would have thought someone from DCC would have been on

Was confused there for a minute re 30kph on hard shoulder til I remembered the renaming! Doesn't sound very balanced right enough to have only the motoring view as if that's all there is. On the other hand Rod King of UK's, 20's Plenty was on the last few minutes of Drivetime re same topic. He was v g re how if you drive by an old lady crossing the road at 50kph and you dont do anything wrong, (ie you don't hit her and you're not doing anything illegal) you could still be ruining her day and making her afraid of walking to the shops or whatever. He played down enforcement and stressed how there has to be a discussion and buy in about why 30 is so much more pleasant and makes it possible for kids to walk to school etc. So I could listen to Ivan Y and get depressed and you could listen to Mary W and get uplifted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.legorafi.fr/2017/10/04/paris-le-lobby-automobile-reclame-la-mise-en-place-dune-journee-sans-velo/

From a French website - maybe google translate will work. The jist (from my basic conversational French) is that there's calls in Paris for a bike free days, similar to the car free days that were held recently. Championed by the car manufacturers (not unsurprisingly).

Something we'll see in Dublin perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.legorafi.fr/2017/10/04/paris-le-lobby-automobile-reclame-la-mise-en-place-dune-journee-sans-velo/

From a French website - maybe google translate will work. The jist (from my basic conversational French) is that there's calls in Pair for a bike free days, similar to the car free days that were held recently. Championed by the car manufacturers (not unsurprisingly).

That website appears to be a French version of Waterford Whispers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

From a French website - maybe google translate will work. The jist (from my basic conversational French) is that there's calls in Pair for a bike free days, similar to the car free days that were held recently. Championed by the car manufacturers (not unsurprisingly).

A bike free day? That's bonkers! And self defeating if it really is being asked for by motoring advocates. Is this a real news website? Not Le Whispers de Waterford from France is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

On the program of this day without bike, many activities, from the opening of bike trails to motorized two-wheelers to the increase in public transport tariffs to incite the Parisians to use their car.

Maybe it's a subtle ploy to get everyone so frustrated by car driving that they migrate to Public/Scooter/Bicycle....?

Or maybe not....
    In November, for example, the Conseil Général d'Ile de France must examine the possibility of introducing a tax for cyclists riding on bicycles with a chain that is too rusty or the saddle badly adjusted.

A war that affects the organization of the biggest cycling race in the world, the Tour de France, which could well integrate as of 2018 a stage fully raced on mopeds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

P_1 wrote: »

Aha, my question answered before I even hit submit on my message. Thanks.

check_six wrote: »
    Aha, my question answered before I even hit submit on my message. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Gorafi :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

P_1 wrote: »

yes, see also
    It is a role that could well earn him a fourth Oscar. While he has just been crowned Best Actor for his performance of Abraham Lincoln, Daniel Day-Lewis is working hard to get back into his next character. A new challenge for the "man-actor" who decided this time to plunge into the skin of a fern in the next film of Terrence Malick titled "Behind The Fern". For this, Day-Lewis, as usual, decided to start a total preparation, on the edge of schizophrenia.

Julian Belfrage, agent of Daniel Day-Lewis, tells of this immersion of the actor in the life of a fern: " Daniel tries to find the right emotion. He says he wants to understand the states that a fern passes through. In this case, it is a seemingly totally empty and flat inner life, much like the character of Ryan Gosling in Drive, very close to the fern itself. "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

From a French website - maybe google translate will work. The jist (from my basic conversational French) is that there's calls in Paris for a bike free days, similar to the car free days that were held recently. Championed by the car manufacturers (not unsurprisingly).

Some cycling campaigners have tried to push the same thing here - a 'bike strike' to teach drivers that more cyclists is a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm not sure it would get enough traction to really make that point.

Some cycling campaigners have tried to push the same thing here - a 'bike strike' to teach drivers that more cyclists is a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm not sure it would get enough traction to really make that point.

The debate on the 300m cycle track in Fairview is interesting. 3 lanes of traffic going either way and this is causing a huge issue. Reading some of the comments from furious drivers - their lives have obviously collapsed around them as a result of this announcement - about wing mirrors being hit. Then you point out that segregation of bikes from cars will alleviate this problem. "What do you expect is to do, cycle in from Howth" screamed one outraged driver. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Funny thing is that if you got out on a bike wearing an RSA hiviz vest and using their €1 lights, you're almost certainly cycling illegally. There are legal standards for lights, which includes a certain surface area of lit surface, and those lights don't meet them.

(And you're not all that conspicuous in certain circumstances, since you're almost entirely relying on reflection.)

EDIT:
    From the Irish Cycling Legislation thread: the rear light must ...

From the Imperial, you'll know that this is the old legislation. Don't know if they updated the requirements after metrication.

Does more than maybe a few lights on the market comply with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The debate on the 300m cycle track in Fairview is interesting. 3 lanes of traffic going either way and this is causing a huge issue. Reading some of the comments from furious drivers - their lives have obviously collapsed around them as a result of this announcement - about wing mirrors being hit. Then you point out that segregation of bikes from cars will alleviate this problem. "What do you expect is to do, cycle in from Howth" screamed one outraged driver. Damned if you do, damned if you don't....

Where is this illuminating debate going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

HivemindXX wrote: »

DCC have a boner for Clontarf residence and will do anything to annoy them after the residence won the anti-flood overkill project and then made them reduce the sea wall. They're leaving unneeded sand bags all along the Clontarf road through summer and winter, dragging their heels over the cycleway and now this. Infantile stuff and it effects more than just the Clontarf motorists.

You want to keep the trees? We'll just take a lane of traffic off you and give it to the cyclists. More cyclist v motorists fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

monument wrote: »
    Does more than maybe a few lights on the market comply with that?

I think the Smart 1/2W and 1W rear lights mostly comply. (By accident, of course.)

The rear reflectors with built-in LEDs comply as well, I think, if the LED or LEDs sends light through the reflector itself and lights it up.

The legislation was clearly drafted for a single point of light (bulb) combined with a parabolic reflector, and the dimensions pertain really to the reflector. So it's pretty obsolete for rear lights, as the overwhelming majority of rear lights don't use parabolic reflectors anymore.

In practical terms (I'm assuming this is just pedantry and no-one is ever going to get prosecuted for not having a 2-sq-inch rear light), the RSA lights are still totally inadequate and the RSA really should point out that they're no use as a primary light, no matter how many yellow vests you pair them up with.

EDIT: just checking dimensions of my Smart Lunar R2:
    Both lenses are circular: pretty much 1 in diameter. Two of them = 2 sq. inch, pretty much. (Maybe just short: 1.6, plus the bits that light up that aren't the lenses themselves.)
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.-fC1wFml2c2D3BJIUmXolgEsDh%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

John_Rambo wrote: »
    DCC have a boner for Clontarf residence and will do anything to annoy them after the residence won the anti-flood overkill project and then made them reduce the sea wall. They're leaving unneeded sand bags all along the Clontarf road through summer and winter, dragging their heels over the cycleway and now this. Infantile stuff and it effects more than just the Clontarf motorists.

You want to keep the trees? We'll just take a lane of traffic off you and give it to the cyclists. More cyclist v motorists fodder.

That's a paranoid delusion. Surely not too many people can be stupid enough to believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

That's a paranoid delusion. Surely not too many people can be stupid enough to believe that.

I've encountered many businesses where particular customers are neglected because they were arseholes in the past, or are too difficult to please. I don't see why DCC would be the ones to rise above it, it's full of humans too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My wife works for DCC. Easy on the 'full'.

No, it's not at all, and I'm not a Clontarf resident, but I can see the wood for the trees! Sure DCC purchased two houses in Clontarf for €2 million for 13 families with shared toilets and kitchens!! Victorian houses, the poxiest, hardest buildings to make viable!! They're still working on them to make them right, spending more millions when they could have bought a three bedroom apartment for each family for less money in an excellent location not far away with their own private toilets and kitchens.

Sorry for the off thread stuff, but it's Dublin City Council. They're as fickle and grudging as any private company except, it's not their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

My wife works for DCC. Easy on the 'full'.

Is she not human? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, it's not at all, and I'm not a Clontarf resident, but I can see the wood for the trees! Sure DCC purchased two houses in Clontarf for €2 million for 13 families with shared toilets and kitchens!! Victorian houses, the poxiest, hardest buildings to make viable!! They're still working on them to make them right, spending more millions when they could have bought a three bedroom apartment for each family for less money in an excellent location not far away with their own private toilets and kitchens.
    I don't see how this helps illustrate a claim that DCC doesn't like clontarf residents?

buffalo wrote: »
    Gimme a sec, I'll ask her...

Actually, you've met her I think.

I don't see how this helps illustrate a claim that DCC doesn't like clontarf residents?

That's ok. I can't honestly illustrate it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Some revelations here from our Transport Minister:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/10/05/rain-is-reason-for-irelands-high-car-use-claims-minister-ross/

"...Despite most of the population of Ireland living in areas which have lower or similar yearly rain fall as Amsterdam and Copenhagen, transport minister Shane Ross claimed yesterday that rain was the main reason people in Ireland are wedded to their cars..."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

buffalo wrote: »

Or is she dancer...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DCC have a boner for Clontarf residence and will do anything to annoy them...
    Hang on there just a second. I thought boners were a positive thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Lumen wrote: »
    Hang on there just a second. I thought boners were a positive thing?

Unless you happen to be in lycra at a coffee/cake stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement