Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG V20

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

tedpan wrote: »
    Yeah, I already replaced mine because of the lag, apps like YouTube and the camera would take a few seconds to load, it got frustrating. Not sure if you're having the same issues. I now have a OnePlus 6T which is so much faster and nicer to use although the camera is better on the v20 and I miss the quad DAC. If you're not experiencing slow downs, maybe replace the battery? There are a few Irish sellers on eBay who have them for around 12euro delivered.

So far, I'm not experiencing wider issues. Apps are OK. OnePlus 6T is probably a bit out of my budget. Don't think there's a need to part ways with the V20 just yet. 12 euro for a battery if further hiccups arise, can't argue with that. Little experiment. 1) Tues night did 'clear all', didn't bother with flight mode and it was 88% the next morning. That's a little better (before it might have dropped to 93%) and I can get a boost charging as I have breakfast. 2) Weds eve, clear all again, flight mode...went from 98% to 80% over night. Not great.
    AllForIt wrote: »
    That's not bad even in flight mode. Apps run in the background even in flight mode using up power. The secondary display uses power too. There are many ways to reduce app background activity. Turning on battery saver would be the easiest one thing to do which basically suspends some background activity. There should be a toggle for this in quick settings. There may be a way to automate turning battery saver on automatically at night.

It doesn't matter how powerful a phone you have or it's battery capacity - all fones will reduce in battery levels overnight if background apps are left unchecked. Generally the more apps you have installed the more likely this will happen.

Garmin Connect's a bit of a curse in this regard (imo), and I don't think I've ever fully killed LG Health. Could probably dump a few games and stuff I barely use. I do have the blue light reduced from 9pm until 8am, I'll look into the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

@TBO, I looked up the in-built battery saver function on the V20. The bit I've bolded is what your looking for.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-32492#Step1
    f Maximum mode has been selected, tap Edit mode to adjust these settings
    Max brightness (slider)
    Screen brightness (slider)
    Reduced frame rate (ON/OFF)
    Disable Always-on display (ON/OFF)
    Disable vibration (ON/OFF)
    Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Location (ON/OFF)

Restrict background activity and data (ON/OFF)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Just switched on the phone today as I was going to fly the drone, it's doing a software update, still downloading, not sure what it is. Exciting!

Edit. It was just a security update. Still Android 8.0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That came through for me too. Was hoping for something more.

The brightness on mine has starting going intermittent e.g. when looking at boards on Chrome. It drops for a few seconds and then comes back. Not sure why, or if this is a setting.

The brightness on mine has starting going intermittent e.g. when looking at boards on Chrome. It drops for a few seconds and then comes back. Not sure why, or if this is a setting.

Strange, I haven't noticed that, I'm getting an awful lot of screen bleed though when browsing on chrome though.

• Advertisement

Just switched on the phone today as I was going to fly the drone, it's doing a software update, still downloading, not sure what it is. Exciting!

Edit. It was just a security update. Still Android 8.0

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but updates to both the LV G5 and V20 has officially ended. https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-g5-v20-end-security-updates-942135/

==============================

Picked up a refurb v20 myself last week. I wanted a second home use fone to power my high impedance Sennhieser headphones - which the v20 does admirably, and a bigger screen for reading news sites etc as my G5 is a bit on the small side for that. Not really a fan of tablets as I find them a bit unwieldy.

I like my G5 but I love the V20. I didn't think I'd dig the second screen or the build of the fone but I was very pleasantly surprised. The fone is very well balanced and feels good in the hand. I had though also the jutting out camera would be a problem but in reality it isn't as the lens is recessed slightly unlike my G5.

Fortunately I was able to root the fone which means it's possible to fix the lag a fair bit and almost totally fix the screen retention.

For those unrooted I would recommend going to Developer Options and reduce Windows Animation Scale and Transition Animation to .75x or 50x. Also to reduce screen retention there is an app called sFilter. All you do is apply black and set intensity to 10%.

I will be ordering a new second battery. Prefine batteries come highly recommeded and it has slightly more capacity than the original. It is available on Amazon UK but more expensive.

Overall I'm delighted with the fone despite it's little flaws. It is the last LG fone to be made with a removable battery and since I'm a heavy user this is a must for me.

LG have rolled back on their decision to end further updates for the V20 and a major update to Android 9 (Pie) is now available as a beta OTA update for the Korean Version!

https://www.mylgphones.com/lg-v20-f800l-android-pie-beta-firmware-v27b.html

AllForIt wrote:
    LG have rolled back on their decision to end further updates for the V20 and a major update to Android 9 (Pie) is now available as a beta OTA update for the Korean Version!

I'm shocked! Let's hope it comes soon!

I'm shocked! Let's hope it comes soon!

It's a big surprise for sure.
    Someone on xda has posted some screenshots.https://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/beta-pie-screenshots-t3953260
    I heard it might be released officially by November. I'll keep the thread here posted.

I was coming back to the thread talk about losing a chunk of battery again, so the news above was a nice surprise. Good to hear about 9. Used it a little at parkrun recently for barcode scanning and it worked well.

• Advertisement

Despite flight mode and battery saver, the phone's at 72% in the morning. This wasn't happening until a week or two ago.

Occasionally the phone pops up to tell you what apps are not being used much, or that the device hasn't been restarted in a while. Restarting seems to have solved the over night battery drop off. :) No reason to change phones at the moment.

Hope we get 9.0 soon.

Hope we get 9.0 soon.

Me too, I only use mine for the drone but it's not reliable. I turned it off, charged it to 100% when I turned it on the next day it was 47%

Finger's crossed the update fixes it but I have my doubts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Me too, I only use mine for the drone but it's not reliable. I turned it off, charged it to 100% when I turned it on the next day it was 47%

Finger's crossed the update fixes it but I have my doubts..

How long have you had it?

Got it in Dec 17, but haven't really used it as my daily phone for 9 months. Suppose I used it for about 12 months. It also has terrible screen burn/bleed.

Yea im the same and it has all those symptoms.i have a feeling an update won't do much good.hopefully it. will

And September slips on by...

And September slips on by...

Maybe 2020??

Phone shutting down when battery indicator still shows power remaining is 99% likely to be caused by a failing battery. They all have a shelf life, 2 years would do it. My V20 bought as a refub had an original used LG battery that only lasted 4 hours so I had to replace it with these...

Highly recommend this third party battery:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791634456.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.21a66f40A3ziBD&algo_pvid=c771b095-5061-405b-baef-be34c46e066a&algo_expid=c771b095-5061-405b-baef-be34c46e066a-0&btsid=3ec39e6c-f15f-4f43-a81f-8ca9412de582&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_52

This one will last approx 25% longer the original. Will make your device slightly heavier and does make the back cover bulge ever so slightly. The extra power is worth it.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32957219050.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dOMkpFD

Those battery's are sometimes available on amazon uk but are usually a bit more expensive.

Give us Android 9, you feckers.

• Advertisement

Give us Android 9, you feckers.

Haha, don't really use the phone anymore, but still do the weekly update checks and am always disappointed..

Battery has gone down a lot in the last few days. 100% and flight mode to 32% this morning. 100% charged whilst driving home yesterday, then down to 77% pretty quickly at home.

I've cleared the Google Play cache again just in case it was that problem surfacing once more. I'll see if it keeps happening, there are replacement batteries around. LG US has official ones that won't ship here, afaik. Think there are some legit ones on Amazon, I think, otherwise knock off versions. That, or a new phone which I'm just tempted to go for at this stage.

Will see how it is over the next few days.

Battery has gone down a lot in the last few days. 100% and flight mode to 32% this morning. 100% charged whilst driving home yesterday, then down to 77% pretty quickly at home.

I've cleared the Google Play cache again just in case it was that problem surfacing once more. I'll see if it keeps happening, there are replacement batteries around. LG US has official ones that won't ship here, afaik. Think there are some legit ones on Amazon, I think, otherwise knock off versions. That, or a new phone which I'm just tempted to go for at this stage.

Will see how it is over the next few days.

I just got a new phone. I had three batteries on the go with my lgv20.

I'd get half a day out of each battery.i use you tube ,streaming radio and Mx player a good bit so maybe that's why.but still it wasn't good.
    it drove me crazy in the end so I just bought a new phone.i

What did you replace it with?

What did you replace it with?

Xiaomi Mi Note 10

It's very strange getting a day and a half out of a full charge ðŸ˜. So far so good.

Battery was OK over night. Only lost 10%. One of the problems when it was done to 32% was that it took 3 attempts to restart it after clearing the cache. Dunno if that's a one off, or maybe a wider problem.

Pixel 4a is tempting, maybe for my birthday.

Xiaomi Mi Note 10

It's very strange getting a day and a half out of a full charge ðŸ˜. So far so good.

5260 mAh is a big increase in battery capacity over the V20 which is only 3200 mAh in comparison.

The Pixel 4a seems to be 3140 mAh2. Is that decent compared to the LG V20 or is it of its time and things have moved on?

AllForIt wrote: »
    5260 mAh is a big increase in battery capacity over the V20 which is only 3200 mAh in comparison.

Yea that's kind of why I went for it.i prefer a removable battery myself. But they are few and far between these days.

• Advertisement

The Pixel 4a seems to be 3140 mAh2. Is that decent compared to the LG V20 or is it of its time and things have moved on?

It's far better than the V20. The technology has improved tremendously, the V20 had such a great camera, but was let down by so many things like the battery life..

Advertisement