Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG V20

Options

Comments

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Wait for the v30. Better screen (oled v lcd), better design, water resistant, wireless charging, better cameras, supposedly better DAC.

And all for only 3x the price :D

It totally depends on your budget. You could buy the V20 now, sell it for a small loss in a few months, and buy the V30 when the inevitable LG price crash comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JimPa

Cheapest place to get the V20? €345.99 on eglobal EU right now. Out of stock on eglobal UK (£273.99).

And this works with rural 4G here right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

JimPa wrote: »
    Cheapest place to get the V20? €345.99 on eglobal EU right now. Out of stock on eglobal UK (£273.99).

4G isn't default setting but it can be activated in mobile settings menu. For me the weakest part is signal strength.

There are quite a few rural paces including home where it fails to pick up a signal. It can be really frustrating sometimes. I have to bring a backup phone when travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

JimPa wrote: »

Careful with ordering from them. I ordered a v20 back in Sept and after 2 month ordeal I only got my back through paypal today. Package was seized by customs in France and eglobal stopped replying to emails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

For the sake of a few extra euro would it be better to check out some of the sellers on adverts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How's everyone getting on with this, then?

I find the data connection can be pretty useless at times. I don't know if this is my network (Vodafone), or the software. It wouldn't connect at all earlier (wanted to turn on my Hue lights remotely). Restarting the phone 4 times did absolutely nothing. I've had this a few times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I find the data connection can be pretty useless at times. I don't know if this is my network (Vodafone), or the software. It wouldn't connect at all earlier (wanted to turn on my Hue lights remotely). Restarting the phone 4 times did absolutely nothing. I've had this a few times before.

Do you think this applies just at home or anywhere? If just at home you might be in a blind spot. Having said that if your previous phone was fine then either there may be a hardware issue or the signal receiver antenna on the phone is just designed badly on this model. The hope would be that it's a hardware fault issue and you should prolly look into having the phone replaced because it doesn't sound acceptable to me. It's more likely to be a hardware issue or low signal strength issue in your location rather than a software issue but it might be so there is no harm is making sure the android system software is fully up to date. I don't have a v20 myself but you could do a google search to see if signal issues are a common problem with the phone in which case you might find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Posted this in another thread couple of days ago.

I had a V20 for a few months. It was good at first then terrible. Battery would last till about 6pm and then charge would deteriorate from 40% to 0 almost instantly. Signal in bad areas is terrible. I rarely got a signal at home.

My last post about it here was praising how good it was doing on holiday. It then continued to reset itself constantly.

Got rid of it in CEX and got a Sony Xperia XZ premium. I had to replace that one because the bottom speaker was not working. But apart from that I would say that this is one of the best phones I have ever had. Battery management is superb. It learns your charging patterns and would set the way it charges (combination of slow and fast charge) to maximize its usage. Battery is usually about 20 real percent (no sudden drop in power) after 14 hours from full charge.

You probably won't hear or read much about it as Sony are not the big PR magnet like Samsung or Apple. But I have never gone for top brands and trends to look for something different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

AllForIt wrote: »
    Do you think this applies just at home or anywhere? If just at home you might be in a blind spot.

I tend not to use data at home unless there's a power cut. I was over in Drogheda when this issue cropped up yesterday. It only occurred to me now that I was in a well-insulated house and maybe that had something to do with it. Didn't think to go into the garden to try and get online. My work phone (iPhone 5s) worked fine for data, it's also Vodafone.

I find the battery life OK.

• Advertisement

I tend not to use data at home unless there's a power cut. I was over in Drogheda when this issue cropped up yesterday. It only occurred to me now that I was in a well-insulated house and maybe that had something to do with it. Didn't think to go into the garden to try and get online. My work phone (iPhone 5s) worked fine for data, it's also Vodafone.

I find the battery life OK.

Maybe your over thinking about it. Signal problems will always be a problem unless some new technology comes in where distance from tower is not an issue. I do that sometimes with a new device and then realise it was all in my head. Unless your signal is completely cut out altogether on a consistent basis I would leave it. My network, 3, had 2 weeks of consistent rubbish signal problems last month and then all of sudden it resolved itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

jacksie66 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I got rid of my v20 and got an XZ premium was the reception. Very poor in the LG.

Signal issues are hardly something review sites assess over time, are they?

Interesting that two of ye went for the XZ premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

Any word on this might get Android 8.0?

Got Oreo there last night. Will have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

Got Oreo there last night. Will have a look around.

Hi.

What network are you with to get the Oreo update ? Nothing on mine sadly.

ra0044 wrote: »
    Hi.

What network are you with to get the Oreo update ? Nothing on mine sadly.

Vodafone.

Vodafone.

Thanks.

Am on Vodafone myself but don't seem to be able to get it yet.

Will have to keep trying.

For ages I was getting nothing when checking software update, think Nov 2017 was the last time and it didn't seem to want to know. Have a vague memory of the info/release notes for 8.0 saying Sept 20th, but could have that wrong.

How are you finding the phone, in general?

• Advertisement

For ages I was getting nothing when checking software update, think Nov 2017 was the last time and it didn't seem to want to know. Have a vague memory of the info/release notes for 8.0 saying Sept 20th, but could have that wrong.

How are you finding the phone, in general?

Have had the V20 about a year and really like it. It has been as solid asxa rock so far.

Really like the size. Sound quality on good quality headphobes is superb. I use the second screen a lot more now that i am used to it. Thought it was a waste for the first couple of months. Build quality is top notch.

Battery is a bit poor. I find i charge it a bit more than other phones i have had. Not very happy with LG and lack of updates.

Overall i really like it and have no real plans to replace it any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭leche solara

Hadn't had an update since last November, and while very happy with the phone, I decided to change as LG seemed to be poor with updates. Never had a phone before that didnt get updates. Have had the phone about 18 months so was starting to itch for a change anyway. Felt that the battery charge wasnt lasting as long as when I first got it. So decided last Monday to go for a Pocophone and ordered one. Then last Thursday finally received a huge update from LG that took more than 2 hours to download. Am now on 8.0. No huge differences and battery still not quite lasting a full day. Pocophone still not here yet.

Hadn't had an update since last November, and while very happy with the phone, I decided to change as LG seemed to be poor with updates. Never had a phone before that didnt get updates. Have had the phone about 18 months so was starting to itch for a change anyway. Felt that the battery charge wasnt lasting as long as when I first got it. So decided last Monday to go for a Pocophone and ordered one. Then last Thursday finally received a huge update from LG that took more than 2 hours to download. Am now on 8.0. No huge differences and battery still not quite lasting a full day. Pocophone still not here yet.

The update was a slow enough to download for me too. Did your Pocophone arrive?

Even moderate data use, such as browsing boards, does chip away at the battery, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭leche solara

The update was a slow enough to download for me too. Did your Pocophone arrive?

Even moderate data use, such as browsing boards, does chip away at the battery, I find.

Yes the Pocophone arrived and I'm loving it. Only have to charge it every second night. I turned on the V20 last night after using the Poco for about a week. The V20 now seems awful slow.

Seem to be losing 20-25% battery over night, in flight mode...
    No idea why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Seem to be losing 20-25% battery over night, in flight mode... No idea why.

The phone is ancient and the batteries are useless. I have two V20s, one for the drone and one as a spare. Can't rely on either without power banks.

tedpan wrote: »
    The phone is ancient and the batteries are useless. I have two V20s, one for the drone and one as a spare. Can't rely on either without power banks.

Woke up to 78% yesterday morning, 83% today. No random restarts or other battery symptoms. Still, not great. Might turn it off altogether over night and see if that's better than flight mode. Are you planning to replace yours?

Woke up to 78% yesterday morning, 83% today. No random restarts or other battery symptoms. Still, not great. Might turn it off altogether over night and see if that's better than flight mode. Are you planning to replace yours?

Yeah, I already replaced mine because of the lag, apps like YouTube and the camera would take a few seconds to load, it got frustrating. Not sure if you're having the same issues. I now have a OnePlus 6T which is so much faster and nicer to use although the camera is better on the v20 and I miss the quad DAC. If you're not experiencing slow downs, maybe replace the battery? There are a few Irish sellers on eBay who have them for around 12euro delivered.

Seem to be losing 20-25% battery over night, in flight mode...
    No idea why.

That's not bad even in flight mode. Apps run in the background even in flight mode using up power. The secondary display uses power too. There are many ways to reduce app background activity. Turning on battery saver would be the easiest one thing to do which basically suspends some background activity. There should be a toggle for this in quick settings. There may be a way to automate turning battery saver on automatically at night.

It doesn't matter how powerful a phone you have or it's battery capacity - all fones will reduce in battery levels overnight if background apps are left unchecked. Generally the more apps you have installed the more likely this will happen.

BTW the V20 has a very powerful chip, the same one on my LG G5 and the Galaxy S7. Any lag experienced on those phones must be a software issue i.e lots of apps working in the background etc. In itself the v20 is a very fast fone and more than fast enough for most ppl even today. Some apps are slow to load no matter what which is due to the app itself and/or your internet speed, not an issue with the fone itself.. Di.FM, a music streaming app I use, is always painfully slow to load for example but it is not an issue with my fone.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote:
    BTW the V20 has a very powerful chip, the same one on my LG G5 and the Galaxy S7. Any lag experienced on those phones must be a software issue i.e lots of apps working in the background etc. In itself the v20 is a very fast fone and more than fast enough for most ppl even today. Some apps are slow to load no matter what which is due to the app itself and/or your internet speed, not an issue with the fone itself.. Di.FM, a music streaming app I use, is always painfully slow to load for example but it is not an issue with my fone.

I have factory reset both my V20s and they both lag all over the place, probably a software issue as my mate's OP 3(snapdragon 820) still runs smoothly. The screen burn is annoying too. So many great features, but unfortunately I didn't last more than 2 years..

Advertisement