Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Ulster - The Big One

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bazzo wrote: »
    McKeon came off injured after a couple of mins but SOB II in to replace him so no big deal. Maybe it's just me but Carty didn't look 100% coming off at the end there either, and then there was Robb pulling up in the captain's run.
    Yes McKeon was carrying knock and SOB was 24th man anyway.
    If Jack isn't 100% I wouldn't be bother to see a Ronaldson/Robb/Aki combo
    If Robb isn't, I think Jack improved in the last two games and Carty/Ron/Aki is ok
    If both aren't 100% Ronaldson/Aki/Griffin would be interesting too
    We have depth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I didn't see this match but have read Henderson didn't look great, possibly feeling the effects of his injury. Not good with the AIs approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm pretty sure he is still on antibiotics at the moment, wouldn't worry too much yet about Henderson. See how he goes in Europe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

I don't know about that. This was the first match this season that they resembled the team that won last year and it was against an injury decimated Ulster who still very nearly won.

Oh I dont say they always win, but no boring rugby, they throw it around from everywhere. I havent watched a bad game since Pat came in, obviously there has been, I personally havent watched it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

sydthebeat wrote: »
    They certainly don't play it perfectly.

They are very adept at what they do, and last season they could carry it through the whole season, but as the Glasgow game showed, teams will have studied their style and will work to negate it.

You mis understand me, I dont think they will win every game, more they make it exciting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Kal El wrote: »
    Connacht could be the most exciting NH team to watch for a neutral. They play the game perfectly

I reckon Wasps are the most exciting team to watch in the NH. Their games against Connacht could be Super Rugby-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Marcus Horan lamenting the lack of % rugby from Connacht in getting ball out of defence last night on TG4

Maybe Connacht's different approach is why they were the best team in the Pro 12 last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Marcus Horan lamenting the lack of % rugby from Connacht in getting ball out of defence last night on TG4

That stuff is getting kinda boring now.
    Pat answered the question very well in the press conference last week.
    It's on the Craggy podcast from the Edinburgh game.

Basic summary: The opposition tire from all the tackling and the Connacht players are keeping their handling skills primed. As a result when they do work their way up the field there are more opportunities to score and the players are better able to take advantage.
    The key is to keep the turnovers to a minimum.

We have lost games (eg Scarlets) as a result of kicking the ball away.

We have BP wins in the games where people have been critical of this strategy (Edinburgh, Ulster, the Pro12 run in last year).

nice_guy80 wrote: »

That stuff is getting kinda boring now.
    Pat answered the question very well in the press conference last week.
    It's on the Craggy podcast from the Edinburgh game.

Basic summary: The opposition tire from all the tackling and the Connacht players are keeping their handling skills primed. As a result when they do work their way up the field there are more opportunities to score and the players are better able to take advantage.
    The key is to keep the turnovers to a minimum.

We have lost games (eg Scarlets) as a result of kicking the ball away.

We have BP wins in the games where people have been critical of this strategy (Edinburgh, Ulster, the Pro12 run in last year).
    I agree with all what Lam said but let's face it
    Sometimes we should clear our line more than we did
    Clearance kicks are not good enough when we did them

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

connachta wrote: »

I think they need to recognise better when kicking is the best option. The first few games of this season they seemed 100% committed to playing it off their own line even when it wasn't working. It also looked like a few teams had figured them out since last season, Glasgow in particular.

I know Connacht had a few injuries last night too but if Ulster had even 1 of their missing guys last night, Pienaar or Olding, for example, that match could have turned out very differently for Connacht.

I suppose the fact they won it will be all that matters if people try to criticise any of their decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Our tackling and kicking are weak points. Our passing and running are strong points.
    It is only right for us to play to out strengths.
    Using weak points is madness.
    Boschoff will be here for the winter months when kicking is more of a priority.The last couple of games were ideal for running rugby. As was the weather toward the end of last season.

It does result in high scoring games but we consistently come out on the right side of them.
    We win more games and we get more BPs.

Our tackling and kicking are weak points. Our passing and running are strong points.
    It is only right for us to play to out strengths.
    Using weak points is madness.
    Boschoff will be here for the winter months when kicking is more of a priority.The last couple of games were ideal for running rugby. As was the weather toward the end of last season.

It does result in high scoring games but we consistently come out on the right side of them.
    We win more games and we get more BPs.
    Weather for Glasgow wasn't that bad, our back-line was full-strenght, and the exit strategy still wasn't "mixed" enough. At all.
    Agree for BPs and missing Boshoff though.

I want to highlight how important Heenan has been since his comeback.
    Hidden behind Kell, Heff and Blade, but god this guy is the key of our system
    Another great volley pass (forward TBH) for Kelleher on 3rd try, crucial turnovers won, always gains ground and keeps possession, rarely misses a tackle. Even injured half of his 3 years in Ireland, I'm still as much convinced he's in contention for RWC 2019 as I've ever been

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think they need to recognise better when kicking is the best option. The first few games of this season they seemed 100% committed to playing it off their own line even when it wasn't working. It also looked like a few teams had figured them out since last season, Glasgow in particular.

I know Connacht had a few injuries last night too but if Ulster had even 1 of their missing guys last night, Pienaar or Olding, for example, that match could have turned out very differently for Connacht.

I suppose the fact they won it will be all that matters if people try to criticise any of their decisions.

Connacht have heaps of injuries too, neither side was close to full strength. Match day squad injured last night: Buckley, McCartney, SOB, Marmion, Robb, Healy. Those are all huge players for Connacht. Some of the guys who replaced them really stepped up, Heffernan and Blade had excellent games, but Buckley in particular is a massive loss. A prop who turns the scrum into a weapon, has the hands of a scrum half and turns over like a back row. And even then if your replacements step up(as they did) you're still playing with a significantly weakened bench.

Connacht have heaps of injuries too, neither side was close to full strength. Match day squad injured last night: Buckley, McCartney, SOB, Marmion, Robb, Healy. Those are all huge players for Connacht. Some of the guys who replaced them really stepped up, Heffernan and Blade had excellent games, but Buckley in particular is a massive loss. A prop who turns the scrum into a weapon, has the hands of a scrum half and turns over like a back row. And even then if your replacements step up(as they did) you're still playing with a significantly weakened bench.
    you even forgot Fox-Matamua

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know they had injuries too, that's why I said "I know Connacht had a few injuries last night too".

My point was they still insisted on playing the ball out of their own 22 every time, and they would have done that too even if Ulster weren't missing half their back line and in that situation the result could have been very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I forgot SOB is actually back so you can swap him out for fox :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭testtech05

And Masterson

testtech05 wrote: »

And Masterson
    Big headache to come in less than 9 weeks.
    McKeon or SOB
    Masterson or Muldoon
    Heenan or Fox
    You can even mix, I'd love to see Heenan 7, Master 8, Nepia 6
    But what about Connolly?? Would be so good to have all those guys competinng at the same time... Dreams come true, sometimes..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Big headache to come in less than 9 weeks.
    McKeon or SOB
    Masterson or Muldoon
    Heenan or Fox
    You can even mix, I'd love to see Heenan 7, Master 8, Nepia 6
    But what about Connolly?? Would be so good to have all those guys competinng at the same time... Dreams come true, sometimes..

As time rolls by usually the decisions are made by themselves. It always seems the case when someone returns someone else gets injured. So the decision is made easy normally. Its the nature of the attritional game that is rugby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's very true ouncer. Always seems like for every returning forward we lose two. You can't really plan that far ahead with our eternal injury crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just watched it.

Ulster were poor, very poor. Must have missed at least 40 tackles?

Take nothing away from Connacht though...deserved winners.

Ulster seem to lack the cynical play others do with ease. At a couple of rucks last night some of the players were held on to and not allowed back into the line. Ulster never seem to be able to do this at all... (no slight on connacht as leinster did a number on us a few years ago with this tactic and we still haven't learned from it).

Pack were poor...Diack gets knocked back in every drive. Tommy Bowe didn't play well...bar 2 decent enough runs. I think it was connacht's first try that he looked at a player and basically put out an arm as an attempt at a tackle.

Coetzee can't get into a white jersey quick enough.

Advertisement