Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht v Ulster - The Big One

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

lol. Browne was possibly your best player.

He gave away possibly 5-6 penalties. Needless stupid ones as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

awec wrote: »
    Best team won, fair play to Connacht.

Ulster, away and have a word with yourselves. Disgraceful for most of that mtach.

Catch yerselves awn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hagz wrote: »
    lol. Browne was possibly your best player.

Back to good old London Welsh performances for him!

Hagz wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The ref had to have a word with him after 10 minutes had barely passed about his discipline, because he gave away 3 successive penalties. His playing of Marshall gets the award of stupidest penalty of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Provincial form is irrelevant apparently.

Who ever said irrelevant (aside from Gatland!)?

It's not irrelevant, it's just not the only thing to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Thought ye were on about Andrew Browne and was about to lose the plot :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ack well, sure there's always next year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

We need a new 'Cheer Up Awec' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

molloyjh wrote: »
    Who ever said irrelevant (aside from Gatland!)?

It's not irrelevant, it's just not the only thing to consider.

Also need to consider that Henderson is being played out of position.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also need to consider that Henderson is being played out of position.

You trying to send me over the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

awec wrote:
    Ack well, sure there's always next year.

Ulster should have stuck Henderson in the row and played Reidy and ross at 6 and 7. Diack cost you today with some soft tackling. Brownes carrying was good but he gave away some stupid penalties. Rodney doesn't hit enough rucks for my liking. It's like he takes it easy until the ball comes his way. Best was quiet today too. Not all bad though set piece was great. ulster really miss mccloskey and Pienaar.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Easily the Pro12 game of the seasn so far, couldn't take my eyes off it. Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

launish116 wrote: »
    Can't agree! Henderson may of been quiet but he put himself about and put in a massive defensive shift.
    Dillane was on the wing for most of the match.

Just an FYI: that's not Dillane shying away from work, it's him playing to the team tactics. They'll always have at least one forward, 2 if their shape is holding, on either wing, preferably a fairly mobile lock or back row. In depth analysis of it here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

I missed the game but that's a great result for Connacht, two BP wins on the trot now and they still have a game in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I have to say when we play, we play. Ulster were only good when we went down to 14 men. The ref bottled binning Ulsters Browne and Payne. I mean he said "no more" at least 3 times and failed to follow up.
    Heffernan was huge tonight and Blade really stepped up to the plate. Bundee needs to realise when and where to off load and Carty needs to improve on decision making still. The penalty kick from wee Paddy that went dead in goal was the game changer. Ulster were building a head of steam and that ****ed them
    Having Ronaldson back really improved our ball movement and defense. His distibution as a second 5/8 is perfect for our shape.
    Carey had a solid game, I thought he was rode by the ref for a few scrums. Browne did a good Aly impression and he can power on and make the position his own if he stays fit.
    Connacht Abú. Are we back on the road?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Connacht could be the most exciting NH team to watch for a neutral. They play the game perfectly

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kal El wrote: »
    Connacht could be the most exciting NH team to watch for a neutral. They play the game perfectly

They certainly don't play it perfectly.

They are very adept at what they do, and last season they could carry it through the whole season, but as the Glasgow game showed, teams will have studied their style and will work to negate it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't know about that. This was the first match this season that they resembled the team that won last year and it was against an injury decimated Ulster who still very nearly won.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Clegg wrote: »
    Payne is the best full.back in the country as evidenced by his displays against South Africa. Isn't in too form right now by the looks of it. ToH is a very capable understudy. Unless Kearney hits too fork right away he really shouldn't be in the 23 for the November internationals.
    Kearney is past this. Surely you are not considering him into next Irish campaign. What would be the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Who was the ref tonight? Thought he was a bit pedantic with a few decisions and cantankerous in his dealings with the players.

Didn't think the sin binning was even a penalty myself.

Connacht were very good but I think they are a bit too predictable at times with their willingness to run. Particularly from their own 22 where they coughed up a lot of possession and were lucky not to be punished.

Ulster were just plain dreadful. Payne and Bowe the only ones to emerge with any real credit. Wilson was almost comically bad, especially one incident where he dived on an inactive player next to a ruck when Ulster pinged for holding on in the Connacht 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

shuffol wrote: »
    Who was the ref tonight? Thought he was a bit pedantic with a few decisions and cantankerous in his dealings with the players.

Didn't think the sin binning was even a penalty myself.

Connacht were very good but I think they are a bit too predictable at times with their willingness to run. Particularly from their own 22 where they coughed up a lot of possession and were lucky not to be punished.

Ulster were just plain dreadful. Payne and Bowe the only ones to emerge with any real credit. Wilson was almost comically bad, especially one incident where he dived on an inactive player next to a ruck when Ulster pinged for holding on in the Connacht 22.

Bowe was made look silly by Kelleher numerous times. One strike run doesn't deserve credit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don't know about that. This was the first match this season that they resembled the team that won last year and it was against an injury decimated Ulster who still very nearly won.

They were poor enough in the first few games of the season last year either, got results as had easier start and other teams were more affected by World Cup. That style of play takes some gametime to get up to speed and they progressively got better throughout last season.

Not saying the season will go on to be as succesful as last season but would be reasonably confident tonight will be closer to the standard Connacht perform to than the opening games.

Connacht are also injury hit at present, Buckley McCartney,O'Brien, Marmion, Robb, Healy, etc

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They were poor enough in the first few games of the season last year either, got results as had easier start and other teams were more affected by World Cup. That style of play takes some gametime to get up to speed and they progressively got better throughout last season.

Not saying the season will go on to be as succesful as last season but would be reasonably confident tonight will be closer to the standard Connacht perform to than the opening games.

Connacht are also injury hit at present, Buckley McCartney,O'Brien, Marmion, Robb, Healy, etc
    True, but it was nice to watch. Has taken a while

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Andrew Browne's hands through middle field were great, just like muldowney used to do

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Andrew Browne's hands through middle field were great, just like muldowney used to do
    optimistic viewpoint. but definitely hugely improved performance. we're heading in the right direction. it was a fantastic win. and no injuries to report

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

flogthebog wrote: »
    gavkm27 wrote: »
    a fantastic win. and no injuries to report
    Soooooo important just before Toulouse (and B&I cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

McKeon came off injured after a couple of mins but SOB II in to replace him so no big deal. Maybe it's just me but Carty didn't look 100% coming off at the end there either, and then there was Robb pulling up in the captain's run.

on a betting point of view am very appreciative to jared payne. thanks mate. so i bet on an ulster guy to score and hoped for a connacht win. feic, all good here :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Fair play, Connacht, I thought you were really high quality. I wish we could rely on 2nd string players to swap in and out of the team with as much ease as you lads. Your subs genuinely bring zero weakness to your team.

Well played, I enjoyed watching it, and I hope Ireland's 3rd and 4th teams can match the quality.

Advertisement