Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 28/09/16 to date

Options
  • 28-09-2016 3:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Old thread here; enjoy :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Joe's seat is still warm:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Joe's seat is still warm:eek:

Wat colour is de seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

A New thread is like fresh sheets in the bed................ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,821 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Oops.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    A New thread is like fresh sheets in the bed................ :D:D

Wat colour are de sheets?

We had a caller on last week who used to wear white sheets so to speak....

• Advertisement

misslemon, looking forward to your report back from tonight's "show" with Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hello, good afternoon, you're very welcome to the new liveline thread with your host Joe Duffy.....

Nosferatu-1922.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any chance tonights show so to speak will be streamed live?

Any chance tonights show so to speak will be streamed live?

Widescreen presentation required to accommodate Joe's "equatorial" waistline.

Wat colour is de seat?

Sorry am blinded by the odur of what he left as he left, he must've ate a curried pig for breakfast.

what day is it? where am I? can someone please take me away from de lahve lihne shtink of death?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yis all are living in an Unadulterated Kip
    ?width=630&version=3001053

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Snubb did you meet the man in person!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

According to the Newstalk reporter, who did a piece on it this morning for the Pat Kenny show, there was a turnout of about 100 people.

The reporter said about 60 per cent of the crowd would be 'ordinary' people, the rest were councillors, professional community worker types and other people who'd be at a thing like this anyway.

A bit underwhelming, no?

M

No mention then of the gang who used 3 AK47's at a public event in the same area?
    Carr said the residents of Dublin was facing an “onslaught” from an international crime cartel.

http://www.thejournal.ie/policing-forum-3000943-Sep2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Expunge wrote: »
    According to the Newstalk reporter, who did a piece on it this morning for the Pat Kenny show, there was a turnout of about 100 people.

The reporter said about 60 per cent of the crowd would be 'ordinary' people, the rest were councillors, professional community worker types and other people who'd be at a thing like this anyway.

A bit underwhelming, no?

It was incredibly underwhelming. I'd say a quarter of all attendees were Gardai, not all were in uniform. Others I recognised, like the reporter said, from other public meetings I've attended. I'd be surprised if there were more than 20 ordinary people there. In my row there wasn't one.

Joe was, actually, a pretty good chair. Sure he plugged de Lahvline constantly a few times, but he kept the meeting moving.

And sure what matter if he was unable to control the mad activist who insisted on trying to get as many details out about an ongoing court case as feasibly possible, despite Joe trying to shout him down and putting his hand out as if to ward off evil? Who cares if he couldn't silence the racist nutter who believed the Kinahan/Hutch feud wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Polish people and other "Easther-en Europeans" coming over and stealing plumbing jobs off of native Irish men?

When it matters, Joe comes through. An activist said that if those in power, those with wealth, "people in RTE" didn't buy drugs from deprived areas sure there'd be no drug problem or crime at all. Joe stood at the lectern impassive, as if he was listening to the man discuss what he had for his dinner and had not, in fact, implied Joe and his colleagues were single-handedly responsible for gangland crime and the murders at the Regency.

The man is a consummate professional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

misslemon wrote: »
    Amen

So we've had estimates of between 20-60 members of the public in attendance.

Joe: last night I did chair de talk abour de croyme and tree thousinth peeple did come to hear me talk so to speak...

It was incredibly underwhelming. I'd say a quarter of all attendees were Gardai, not all were in uniform. Others I recognised, like the reporter said, from other public meetings I've attended. I'd be surprised if there were more than 20 ordinary people there. In my row there wasn't one.

Joe was, actually, a pretty good chair. Sure he plugged de Lahvline constantly a few times, but he kept the meeting moving.

And sure what matter if he was unable to control the mad activist who insisted on trying to get as many details out about an ongoing court case as feasibly possible, despite Joe trying to shout him down and putting his hand out as if to ward off evil? Who cares if he couldn't silence the racist nutter who believed the Kinahan/Hutch feud wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Polish people and other "Easther-en Europeans" coming over and stealing plumbing jobs off of native Irish men?

When it matters, Joe comes through. An activist said that if those in power, those with wealth, "people in RTE" didn't buy drugs from deprived areas sure there'd be no drug problem or crime at all. Joe stood at the lectern impassive, as if he was listening to the man discuss what he had for his dinner and had not, in fact, implied Joe and his colleagues were single-handedly responsible for gangland crime and the murders at the Regency.

Thanks for that miss.

Re. him allowing the remark on RTÉ to slide - it once again shows the utter hypocrisy of the man. Had that remark been made on air we'd have a meltdown akin to last Friday's with soundbytes aplenty like "would you ever give up yer auld guff", "no, no, no, no, no","expunge!" and "get a grip" being thrown around like confetti.

Dear salt of the earths, your emperor has no clothes.

Just on the subject of RTÉ, it ought to be mentioned that it's not a case of a small few at the top being on high fees. Exclduing the 'contractors', the average RTÉ employee's salary is just over €70,000, roughly twice the average industrial wage.

It isn't just the top-10 presenters that can be said to be out of touch, it seems that few RTE employees, with the exception of outsourced cleaners, security and catering staff, understand the practical struggles faced by ordinary workers on low incomes.

By no means am I saying it's an egregiously high salary, or that you can't be a higher earner and retain a social conscience, I know a few people who've worked in RTE and if anything, they'd be left-wing, conscientious people.

But it's a bit like working in financial services. When you and your colleagues are all paid well above-average, it's easy to see how a culture of detachment can set in. You start to believe the Marian Finucane panel is a representative sample of Irish society. Reporting of white-collar crime and the plight of the political class is tempered with sympathy based on the subject's class. There's a hastag on twitter called #rtebias, which I think is a bit over the top, but there probably is an element of unintended bias.

Joe is a classic example of that, it seems. His heart is in the right place, I reckon, he thinks he understands the ordinary worker on low wages, but he just doesn't get it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is Geldof trying to get Trump over the line like he did with Brexit?:)

• Advertisement

The man is a consummate consuming professional.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Everyone at the meeting was up to his antics though. If you want to speak you put your hand up, get the microphone, then say the magic words: "I'd just like to say, well, I mean I rang into your show before Joe. And as I said then..."

Mentioning you rang de Lahvline gave you a couple of minutes more floortime, so to speak.

The Gospel(Palamayorian) according to the Blessed Joe
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Yis all are living in an Unadulterated Kip
    ?width=630&version=3001053
    And the Great unwashed ordinary peoples response is:
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Amen

Thank you for the free plug so to speak:)
    Everyone at the meeting was up to his antics though. If you want to speak you put your hand up, get the microphone, then say the magic words: "I'd just like to say, well, I mean I rang into your show before Joe. And as I said then..."

Mentioning you rang de Lahvline gave you a couple of minutes more floortime, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Jesus ,Dublin bus talks still going on for a third day " give us more money , no , give us more money , no " , riveting in there I'd say .

M

Dates for your diary, wtf? Should people get themselves armed for these dates?

M

If only the salary wasn't a secret before you signed up to join the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

A Dublin Garda Mammy , a rare phenomenon.

If only the salary wasn't a secret before you signed up to join the Gardaí.

The backsheesh has been cut back because of the cuts. Keep a €50 folded in your driving licence.

M

A rent allowance of €4k, do low pay workers in the retail sector get this too?

• Advertisement

Trust Duffy to assume that all work choices come down to salary.

Lots of people love their jobs, and would do it for minimum wage, angry as that would make them. Gardaí aren't in it for the money, even if they want better pay.

I don't think Duffy can grasp this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement