Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue LED Lamp, Set of 3 E27 10 W, Including Bridge €129

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

amazon i guess? i dunno, i think you are insured with parcelmotel up to 100 euro too, might be wrong there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭remoteboy

matrim wrote: »
    Parcel Motel send a picture of the box as they received it, so that would show it was inadequately packed

Yeah. I checked the picture and you can see that it's just a cardboard box. There's no external damage to the box. I'd say it was dropped at some stage and there wasn't enough protection inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭remoteboy

amazon i guess? i dunno, i think you are insured with parcelmotel up to 100 euro too, might be wrong there though.

Just checked their terms and conditions and they don't accept fragile items so not a leg to stand on there. I reckon Amazon is my best bet so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Are these the first gen or the second gen bulbs?

(guessing first?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

how can you tell? it has the newer bridge in it anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

remoteboy wrote: »
    Just checked their terms and conditions and they don't accept fragile items so not a leg to stand on there. I reckon Amazon is my best bet so.

Failing that your credit card should offer protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I just grabbed an RGB bulb from aliexpress for about €24 so less then half the price of the official Hue bulb with reports that it is almost exactly the same and works seamlessly with the Hue Bridge so I look forward to comparing it as it could be a much cheaper way to kit out more rooms in the house...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

reni10 wrote: »
    I just grabbed an RGB bulb from aliexpress for about €24 so less then half the price of the official Hue bulb with reports that it is almost exactly the same and works seamlessly with the Hue Bridge so I look forward to comparing it as it could be a much cheaper way to kit out more rooms in the house...

A while ago, Philips cut off all support for non philips bulbs. A few weeks later they re-enabled it, but zero guarantee that it will continue to work in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I just grabbed an RGB bulb from aliexpress for about 24 so less then half the price of the official Hue bulb with reports that it is almost exactly the same and works seamlessly with the Hue Bridge so I look forward to comparing it as it could be a much cheaper way to kit out more rooms in the house...
    got a link to see it? .. be interested to see if it works

jobless wrote: »
    got a link to see it? .. be interested to see if it works

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8W-Intelligent-Remote-Control-Led-Bulb-RGBW-E27-Bulb-Auto-Wifi-Led-Remote-Control-Smart-Home/32648769811.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.edb10H

Well aware that Philips did previously disable these 3rd Party Bulbs but you can always just not upgrade the firmware so that the support for the bulbs remains...

Good write up on these here:
    http://community.smarthomedb.com/t/test-report-successfully-paired-kudled-color-bulb-chinese-hue-a19-bulb-copy-cat-23-with-philips-hue-bridge/1321

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well aware that Philips did previously disable these 3rd Party Bulbs but you can always just not upgrade the firmware so that the support for the bulbs remains...

Problem is that you would need to update the software in order to use Philips cloud services or to add any new philips bulbs.

bk wrote: »
    Problem is that you would need to update the software in order to use Philips cloud services or to add any new philips bulbs.

Why do you need to update the firmware to add new philips bulbs?

Why do you need to update the firmware to add new philips bulbs?

When you add a bulb, it syncs the changes up to their "cloud" server. You need to be on the latest firmware in order to access their "cloud" server. Thus indirectly you need to update the firmware to remain compatible.

Also if you didn't upgrade, you would lose the ability to control the hub remotely and probably lose the ability to control the bulbs via devices like the Amazon Echo, Harmony reotes, etc. They all use Philips API's and servers to control the bulbs.

Personally I don't think it is worth the risk. They aren't that much cheaper, specially if you keep an eye out for bulbs and packs that pop up all the time during the usual black friday, etc. sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Probably be fine for ambiance lighting but I would be surprised if the colour rendering in white mode was really comparable to the Philips bulb. The white spectrum is generally lacking in the generic chinese bulbs due to the phosphors and phosphor encapsulant on the LED chips used inside the lamps.

At €24 I would be concerned about the longevity. That being said philips had a lot of trouble with their blue LEDs in the the first gen hue bulbs, and their bulb designs have sacrificed heatsinking for cosmetic appeal - form over function. The chinese bulbs might well outlast them.

Buying bulbs online is a roulette, I've postmortem-ed a lot of LED bulbs. The typical generic chinese bulb has at least two or more of these shortcomings:
    • Poor colour rendering similar to cheap CFLs due to low quality phosphors, insufficient phosphors, phosphor delamination etc.
    • LEDs are overdriven to produce more lumens for a the same number of LEDs
    • Poor diffusion / beam angle
    • Low quality short lived electrolytic smoothing capacitors.
    • Cheap high resistance switching components and/or
    • Badly cloned chinese integrated circuits and/or
    • Rudimentary flickery capacitor dropper circuits.
    • Shock hazard from poor / no isolation of the case
    • Exposed high voltage contacts
    • Housings that easily come apart in the hand exposing live circuitry.
    • Fire hazard from incorrect materials
    • Poor heatsinking / package design leading to..
    • High temperatures which dramatically shorten the life of the bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Well, any reviews of the bulbs now that a few people have them a week or two?

I'm thinking of getting them myself but even at the "bargain" price they are very expensive. The bulbs listed in the OP are second gen bulbs, but there are "2.1 gen" bulbs out just now that carry the "richer colours" tag line and have better blues and greens apparently.

If sterling keeps going down, the new richer colour bulbs would almost be a bargain alert!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambiance-Wireless-Lighting-Bayonet/dp/B01LF9G9HC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1476198361&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=philips+hue+richer+colours

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I am gonna put them in the living room altogether.Was gonna go with cheaper things but probably will get caught out and let down whereas I imagine Philips will stand up to the tests of time.
    Tell me, if I hung a 3 light fixture in the living room, would I need the three bulbs in it for enough light? Or would a smaller 2 light one suffice with the third bulb in the lamp?
    Living room is small, old style houses - about 18 - 20 sq metres.
    Thanks

I am gonna put them in the living room altogether.Was gonna go with cheaper things but probably will get caught out and let down whereas I imagine Philips will stand up to the tests of time.
    Tell me, if I hung a 3 light fixture in the living room, would I need the three bulbs in it for enough light? Or would a smaller 2 light one suffice with the third bulb in the lamp?
    Living room is small, old style houses - about 18 - 20 sq metres.
    Thanks

Well it depends on which bulbs you are talking about, I assume the regular e27 of b22's, they are very bright at 800 lumens, about equivalent to an old 100w bulb.

So I'd say two should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks for that. I'll go with a two lamp one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

Lad's, just got around to settings these up, with renovations, tried using a shaving adapter, but no joy. What adapter did you use, a European -> UK ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Invincible wrote: »
    Lad's, just got around to settings these up, with renovations, tried using a shaving adapter, but no joy. What adapter did you use, a European -> UK ?

Yeah that will work.
    Or do what I did and get onto Philip's support and if you ask nicely they will send out the correct adaptor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Invincible wrote: »

Yeah that will work.
    Or do what I did and get onto Philip's support and if you ask nicely they will send out the correct adaptor.

Fair play to Philips support,( and to mik_the_man for suggesting it) sent them an email yesterday along with screenshot of invoice, got a call from Jenny in Dublin today, to say they were sending out a UK adapter and send them an email when I receive it.

Advertisement