Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue LED Lamp, Set of 3 E27 10 W, Including Bridge €129

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Cheapest its ever been:
    amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

err, won't the bridge have a EU plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Cabaal wrote: »
    err, won't the bridge have a EU plug?

Don't you own a fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Don't you own a fork?

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Forgive me the stupid questions, but could somebody explain to me how this works / what this does? So you can control these lamps, dim them and change the colour via an app on your phone / tablet / pc? Can you add more lamps to the "system", can they be in multiple rooms? I presume this system uses your home wifi network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

unkel wrote: »
    Forgive me the stupid questions, but could somebody explain to me how this works / what this does?

Irish/British plug sockets have a safety measure, where the longer top pin activates a gate to allow the actual power pins into the socket.

Using a fork or similar in the top hole of the socket defeats this safety measure, allowing a European 2 pin plug be used.

It is not recommended but it works.

I know that :p

I'd like to know how the Philips Hue system works / what it does though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I know this is asked frequently, but will Amazon Germany deliver to Ireland or do I need an intermediary?

I have 5 of these, don't need any more, but just bought a new bridge for 50 GBP which I can cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

MaceFace wrote: »
    I know this is asked frequently, but will Amazon Germany deliver to Ireland or do I need an intermediary?

I have 5 of these, don't need any more, but just bought a new bridge for 50 GBP which I can cancel.

Scratch this question. They deliver to Ireland for €7.05
    Bargain!

€142.99 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Amazon Germany do deliver to Ireland, I've got stuff in the past.

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    Scratch this question. They deliver to Ireland for €8.67.

Bargain!

You could also try the ParcelMotel option.
    With the different VAT rate and different shipping to the UK, it worked out a couple of Euro cheaper after allowing for the PM fee.

Not much in it but it could be worth the price of a pint.....which you could drink down the pub, while annoying the missus at home turning the lights on and off.

I know that :p

I'd like to know how the Philips Hue system works / what it does though...

The answer to all your questions is 'Yes'!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't you own a fork?
    You'd want to me careful with that... I know someone who inserted the end of a fork into their socket to get a EU plug in and then...

* ZZAAAAPPPPPPP *

She got an ingrown toenail 8 months later..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Forgive me the stupid questions, but could somebody explain to me how this works / what this does? So you can control these lamps, dim them and change the colour via an app on your phone / tablet / pc? Can you add more lamps to the "system", can they be in multiple rooms? I presume this system uses your home wifi network?

Yes, yes and sort of.

Sort of - it actually uses it's own Zigbee wireless mesh network for each bulb to talk to one another and back to the hub. So even if your broadband and wifi are down, they will continue to work.

The hub can connect to your internet and wifi, to allow you to control the lights remotely, e.g. at work, but it isn't necessary.

You can control the lights by smartphone/tablet/smartwatch app, Siri voice, Alexa voice and Logitech Harmony remotes, and various Philips Hue remotes and switches, amongst many other options. Hue supports a pretty open developer API.

The hub can support up to 50 devices. Philips make a massive range of lights and devices that can be added to it. Standard shaped bulbs, GU10 style spot light type bulbs, decorative lighting strips, Living Colors Lamps, etc.

I've changed over half the lights in my apartment to Philips Hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Basq wrote: »
    You'd want to me careful with that... I know someone who inserted the end of a fork into their socket to get a EU plug in and then...

* ZZAAAAPPPPPPP *

She got an ingrown toenail 8 months later..

Darwinism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Darwinism

No....... electricity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

cheers op! ordered there, great deal

Do I need this? No.

To hell with it. Ordered. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Just ordered thanks very much OP :)

Found this £99/€115

Philips Hue White Ambiance Personal Wireless Lighting LED E27 Starter Kit,

1 x Philips Hue Bridge, 1 X Philips Wireless Dimmer Switch, 2 x Hue White Ambiance 9.5W E27 Bulbs, 1 x Power adapter

Is it a better deal??

• Advertisement

No. Those are the white bulbs that retail for around €20 each. The ones in the OP retail for around €50 each...

Dimmer is €22 (bought one too earlier), so that offer is pretty much full RRP...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

So I can use a 2 pin adapter for the hub right?... Do these screw into your average irish light bulb fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

bought one too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wallaby72

And got one too to compliment the Echo. Damn bargain alerts :)

Did people use PM/PW or just ship direct?
    I just hope they all come in one box!

Got the swtich & adapters as well.:)

Edit: cancelled the adapters as they were shipping from a different seller, hence 2 parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

I used PW as it works out a few euro cheaper.

Yep, Parcel Motel was about €2.50 cheaper in total for me too. Unfortunately we are paying our VAT to the British government this way though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

spuddy01 wrote: »
    I used PW as it works out a few euro cheaper.

Used PW too, worked out €137.08
    Using Irish address would've been €141.99

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭MickH503

Looks like it is €159.99 now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went for it in the end, so by next week I'll have my echo and to smart lights. happy days

Advertisement