Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Railway Journeys on CIE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

odyssey06 wrote: »
    When paying customers are seen as an inconvenience by an organisation you know their fundamentals are upside down.

absolutely correct.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Quackster wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. It's up to every business to decide what methods of payment they will or won't accept.

Do you think IE should have to facilitate some chap who shows up waving a €100 note? A €200 note?? A €500 note???

not nonsense at all, businesses generally accept multiple methods of payment so that people can pay for the service or product they are buying from the business.
    irish rail on the other hand stifle people from paying for their "service" in certain situations and that is not on, especially when they will be quick to use the fine cash cow rather quickly, when in fact the individual was actually wanting to pay but was unable to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

You called someone with an obvious medical problem “half mad”
    Can you not see how this is wrong?
    Nothing to do with political correctness. Your post was moronic and an absolute disgrace and none of your out of date thinking will change my mind on that.

You've said the same thing three times.

A question- are you saying that "mad" people (of any fraction) with learning or psychiatric difficulties who are clearly unsupervised on a railway platform on a regular basis are in an appropriate place ?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

not nonsense at all, businesses generally accept multiple methods of payment so that people can pay for the service or product they are buying from the business.
    irish rail on the other hand stifle people from paying for their "service" in certain situations and that is not on, especially when they will be quick to use the fine cash cow rather quickly, when in fact the individual was actually wanting to pay but was unable to do so.
    Exactly. Sensible businesses try to be as flexible as possible in terms of the methods of payment they accept, WITHIN REASON. That doesn't of course mean every possible method of payment though as some methods of payment are simply not practical in certain situations.

For instance, try using a €50 note (or indeed any note) on Dublin Bus and see how far that gets you.

Irish Rail does accept multiple methods of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Absolute nonsense. It's up to every business to decide what methods of payment they will or won't accept.
    ???

It is not nonsense.
    It is a long standing principle that a customer is covered once he has tendered his money.

On northern Ireland railways, the conductor comes to the boarding passenger immediately and issues a ticket. Apart from dart trains Irish rail trains generally have a guard, host or whatever on board. There is no reason why they should not be trained to issue tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

91wx763 wrote: »
    You've said the same thing three times.

A question- are you saying that "mad" people (of any fraction) with learning or psychiatric difficulties who are clearly unsupervised on a railway platform on a regular basis are in an appropriate place ?

So? I’ll say it as many times as I like.
    If you have a problem have a look at the little triangle.
    Have a read of what you just posted. It’s absolutely moronic, to say the least.
    You are suggesting that someone with a mental(or otherwise) illness should not be allowed into a train platform. Really?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Exactly. Sensible businesses try to be as flexible as possible in terms of the methods of payment they accept, WITHIN REASON. That doesn't of course mean every possible method of payment though as some methods of payment are simply not practical in certain situations.

For instance, try using a €50 note (or indeed any note) on Dublin Bus and see how far that gets you.

Indeed. The OP knows this very well. But then again another reason for him
    to moan.

The individual must be fcuking minted. Always seems to turn up with wads of 50’s.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

tabbey wrote: »
    It is not nonsense.
    It is a long standing principle that a customer is covered once he has tendered his money.

On northern Ireland railways, the conductor comes to the boarding passenger immediately and issues a ticket. Apart from dart trains Irish rail trains generally have a guard, host or whatever on board. There is no reason why they should not be trained to issue tickets.
    So, by 'long-standing principle' I should be able to hop on any train, tender any note (up to €500) regardless of the fare and the poor ticket-checker must have the required change to hand to facilitate my notions? I'm sorry but that is just beyond moronic in this day and age.

I'm so glad we're moving more and more towards an almost-cashless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Irish Rail is following regulations issued by the Central Bank which limit the amount of change which can be issued.

If the fare was 32 euro or more a 50 euro note would be accepted. All major credit and debit cards, with chip and pin or contactless are accepted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

to moan.

When I travel by Dublin Bus I would make sure to have a load of coins with me. You would be a long time finding a Dublin bus with a fare of €29 but if you did it would realistic to expect their machine to be able to take a large banknote - say €50.

So, by 'long-standing principle' I should be able to hop on any train, tender any note (up to €500) regardless of the fare and the poor ticket-checker must have the required change to hand to facilitate my notions? I'm sorry but that is just beyond moronic in this day and age.

I have never even seen a €500 note and am unlikely to. The fare was €29 and I tried to pay with a €50 note - hardly an outrageous idea. :rolleyes:

As for the benefits of a cashless society....currently using a card is handy during the Covid-19 crisis as cuts down on the risk of contamination, but long term I see little benefit for the ordinary Joe.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    When I travel by Dublin Bus I would make sure to have a load of coins with me. You would be a long time finding a Dublin bus with a fare of €29 but if you did it would realistic to expect their machine to be able to take a large banknote - say €50.

You knew this before traveling. Yet you still turn up with your 50 euro note.
    Why? Is it just to be awkward? A reason to bitch an moan here?

You are nothing but a contrarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think that's a valid comparison with such high denomination notes.
    The standard notes issued by Irish ATMs are €50 and €20.
    It doesn't seem moronic at all to me to expect Irish Rail to be able to handle a €50 note, seems a reasonable expectation on the behalf of paying customers.
    Granted, it may be the case that Irish Rail cannot accomodate that in all circumstances. But the customer is inconvenienced.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

So? I’ll say it as many times as I like.
    If you have a problem have a look at the little triangle.
    Have a read of what you just posted. It’s absolutely moronic, to say the least.
    You are suggesting that someone with a mental(or otherwise) illness should not be allowed into a train platform. Really?

I've looked at the triangle, the earth didn't move and I'll say what I want to, same as you.

I'm saying your "liberalness" says the OP shouldn't be allowed pay €29 with a €50 because it is suits you but a fella with issues is ok to be in a dangerous place ie on a railway platform unsupervised.

You knew this before traveling. Yet you still turn up with your 50 euro note.
    Why? Is it just to be awkward? A reason to bitch an moan here?

You are nothing but a contrarian.

I assumed that the ticket office would be open which it normally is. Do you have to put a fine tooth comb to my every post to find something that offends your petty mind? I have another thread here which you must have missed: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099181 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Until recently Dublin bus used give a credit note for change. It was issued automatically with the ticket. Most were for small sums and were forgotten but you could bring them to the office in O'Connell Street and get cash.
    It is not rocket science.

I assumed that the ticket office would be open which it normally is. Do you have to put a fine tooth comb to my every post to find something that offends your petty mind? I have another thread here which you must have missed: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058099181 :D

Ha. The irony of you calling me petty.
    Good one.

91wx763 wrote: »
    I've looked at the triangle, the earth didn't move and I'll say what I want to, same as you.

I'm saying your "liberalness" says the OP shouldn't be allowed pay €29 with a €50 because it is suits you but a fella with issues is ok to be in a dangerous place ie on a railway platform unsupervised.

Oh give up with your hyperbole nonsense.
    The OP called a chap with a medical condition “half mad”. If you can’t see how this is unacceptable you are as bad as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

It's a pretty useless vending machine that can't carry out the same function as a clerk in a booking office. Imagine walking up to the ticket desk and being told by the booking clerk that a €50 note can't be accepted unless the ticket value is over €30.

• Advertisement

the dublin bus situation is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
    that policy exists for genuinely good reasons, as in drivers aren't put at risk by carrying huge amounts of cash around with them.
    not a bit comparable to the irish rail situation and a poster wanting to pay their fare but being unable to do so because they were effectively stopped from doing so until the first possible opportunity, for which no amount of deflection and whataboutery will get irish rail out of this failure.
    to moan.

his complaints are absolutely legitimate.
    he wouldn't be complaining if a service of sufficient quality for the fares being expected to be paid was provided, something other lines seem to actually get.
    well, to the basic level they get it.
    The individual must be fcuking minted. Always seems to turn up with wads of 50’s.

i doubt he is minted, more it's easier to carry 1 slightly bigger note then a couple of smaller ones, it's less obvious also when flicking through one's pocket if hidden well enough.
    that's my experience anyway so i suspect his is similar.
    Oh give up with your hyperbole nonsense.
    The OP called a chap with a medical condition “half mad”. If you can’t see how this is unacceptable you are as bad as him.

neither of them are bad as they were unaware of the individual's medical situation.
    that's quite clear from the original post.

the dublin bus situation is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
    that policy exists for genuinely good reasons, as in drivers aren't put at risk by carrying huge amounts of cash around with them.
    not a bit comparable to the irish rail situation and a poster wanting to pay their fare but being unable to do so because they were effectively stopped from doing so until the first possible opportunity, for which no amount of deflection and whataboutery will get irish rail out of this failure.

his complaints are absolutely legitimate.
    he wouldn't be complaining if a service of sufficient quality for the fares being expected to be paid was provided, something other lines seem to actually get.
    well, to the basic level they get it.

i doubt he is minted, more it's easier to carry 1 slightly bigger note then a couple of smaller ones, it's less obvious also when flicking through one's pocket if hidden well enough.
    that's my experience anyway so i suspect his is similar.

neither of them are bad as they were unaware of the individual's medical situation.
    that's quite clear from the original post.
    The whole of this post, without any exceptions, is bullsh1te.
    You haven’t lost it.

The whole of this post, without any exceptions, is bullsh1te.
    You haven’t lost it.

what have i not lost? can you advise?
    which post is bull? it's certainly not the one you replied to by me, or the original post that started off this whole train of discussion.

what have i not lost? can you advise?
    which post is bull? it's certainly not the one you replied to by me, or the original post that started off this whole train of discussion.

You haven’t lost your ability to post absolute childish, nonsensical, meandering bullsh1te.

This whole thread is nonsense. A personal whingefest by someone who obviously has a serious chip on their shoulder.

You haven’t lost your ability to post absolute childish, nonsensical, meandering bullsh1te.

This whole thread is nonsense. A personal whingefest by someone who obviously has a serious chip on their shoulder.

And you haven't lost your ability to try and bully everybody who disagrees with you and have to resort to name calling. Seems to be a trademark of yours on most of the threads you post on.

PS Did you find anything interesting on my profile page? :D

And you haven't lost your ability to try and bully everybody who disagrees with you and have to resort to name calling. Seems to be a trademark of yours on most of the threads you post on.

PS Did you find anything interesting on my profile page? :D

That’s very kind of you, thanks.
    If I’m upsetting you please accept my most humble apologies.

That’s very kind of you, thanks.
    If I’m upsetting you please accept my most humble apologies.

You amuse me rather than upset.

You amuse me rather than upset.

Ah that would be your condescending, higher than thou attitude.

Makes sense really.

the thread is a good thread, it's a poster writing about their experiences of traveling on the railway, it's a thread to highlight and comment on legitimate issues that the poster and others have faced and face upon their travels.
    if irish rail strived to improve things then there wouldn't be a need to highlight these issues and bring them to the attention of readers.
    long may this thread continue, while as much as reading about these issues make me angry for the fact such attention to any sort of detail is lacking on the railway, it is still an informative and interesting thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have just reviewed the last couple of pages of this thread and feel a bigger interjection is needed.

- The tit for tat on the last page or so is unacceptable, but there are other things that need mentioning.

- Let me make it clear that if any user is found to be clearly referring to disabled people in an clearly offensive way, then sanctions will be implemented.

- Dancing around the rules thinking that you will get away with it forever and will wind others up is very much a mistake, sooner or later you are likely to slip.

Advertisement