Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE IRISH RAIL HERITAGE OFFICE

Options
  • 25-07-2020 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, Irish Rail has a Railway Heritage Officer and, of course, a Heritage and Conservation Manager. The incumbent of this office used to be based in the old lookout tower in Inchicore Works although from IE's page here: https://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/company-information/iarnrod-eireann-heritage-and-enthusiasts it is unclear where its current location is.
    lookout.jpg

Unbelievably, the present incumbent of this office has been in situ since 1996 - almost a quarter of a century in old money! What is his job and how much does he get paid?

GREG%2BRYAN.png

Heritage%2BStatement.png
    It certainly can't be related to IE's Corporate Social Responsibility Statement as otherwise why would so much neglect of CIE property have occurred during his tenure?

I'm not attacking the individual involved but the institution that employs him. Apart from looking after the interests of his friends in the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland RPSI and the Irish Railway Record Society (he used to be the RPSI Representative in the Republic) what does he do?

What does his office do?

Is it not long overdue that the IE Heritage Office had a shake-up and someone fresh and unaligned to vested interests at the helm?

I'll leave this here for your thoughts but I won't be back to this until after the weekend - plenty of time for you to get your knives out for me. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, Irish Rail has a Railway Heritage Officer and, of course, a Heritage and Conservation Manager. The incumbent of this office used to be based in the old lookout tower in Inchicore Works although from IE's page here: https://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/company-information/iarnrod-eireann-heritage-and-enthusiasts it is unclear where its current location is.
    lookout.jpg

Unbelievably, the present incumbent of this office has been in situ since 1996 - almost a quarter of a century in old money! What is his job and how much does he get paid?

GREG%2BRYAN.png

Heritage%2BStatement.png
    It certainly can't be related to IE's Corporate Social Responsibility Statement as otherwise why would so much neglect of CIE property have occurred during his tenure?

I'm not attacking the individual involved but the institution that employs him. Apart from looking after the interests of his friends in the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland RPSI and the Irish Railway Record Society (he used to be the RPSI Representative in the Republic) what does he do?

What does his office do?

Is it not long overdue that the IE Heritage Office had a shake-up and someone fresh and unaligned to vested interests at the helm?

I'll leave this here for your thoughts but I won't be back to this until after the weekend - plenty of time for you to get your knives out for me. :D

JD, next you'll be telling us of how a nameplate was removed from bo-bo number 150 for "safe keeping" and how it ended up on the wall of an oirish restaurant in the USA :D:D:D

Fr. Ryan retired 2.5 years ago. (Maybe 3.5 time flies when you are having fun.)

Nobody in IE noticed or cared sufficently to update the website. Not surprising since the ill fated National Transport Museum was on the CIE website about 15 years after it was cancelled.

I have no idea who replaced him, perhaps nobody?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Position left unfilled after the departure of the one and only incumbent and "office" defunct, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Position left unfilled after the departure of the one and only incumbent and "office" defunct, I believe.

The Reverend needs to update his Linkedin profile or perhaps God normally takes care of that sort of thing. I see he's also retired from the Church of Ireland: https://www.meathandkildare.org/news/item/1194-retirement-of-revd-gregg-ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As I understood it but the correct job title is CIE Heritage Officer and not solely an Irish Rail Heritage Officer as a lot of us (Myself included.) used to assume. The role was more so intended to deal with the CIE property and structural assets from a historical point of view and basically ensuring they weren't just bulldozed over; disposal of the many transport specific assets by the officer seems to have followed on by default.

When he was the incumbent officer Messr Ryan was a contractor and not Irish Rail staff. Good luck to his successor as they'll need to from every side :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As I understood it but the correct job title is CIE Heritage Officer and not solely an Irish Rail Heritage Officer as a lot of us (Myself included.) used to assume. The role was more so intended to deal with the CIE property and structural assets from a historical point of view and basically ensuring they weren't just bulldozed over; disposal of the many transport specific assets by the officer seems to have followed on by default.

When he was the incumbent officer Messr Ryan was a contractor and not Irish Rail staff. Good luck to his successor as they'll need to from every side :pac:

I thought the way of dealing with listed buildings here was to let them get so derelict they have to be demolished for H and S reasons no? Bulldozing, but with extra steps.

Or a mysterious fire.

Advertisement