Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirBnB Megathread - ALL A&P related Airbnb discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Yeh I think that could be a very real solution to the problem by having to have the owner in situ.

In my old building the Air BnB advert read like some covert spy operation. The guests weren't allowed press the bell, they weren't allowed talk to residents, crazy sh1t. All because the tenant wasn't living there and in fact had rented out three rooms in a two bed apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Banning it won't work because people will continue to let the property short term as that is more lucrative and secure than residential lettings.

If you want to reduce the number of short term keys then you need to make long term tenancies more attractive to landlords.

Earning in excess of €1500 for a two bed apartment seems very attractive to me. :)
    amcalester wrote: »
    Banning it won't work because people will continue to let the property short term as that is more lucrative and secure than residential lettings.

If you want to reduce the number of short term keys then you need to make long term tenancies more attractive to landlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Earning in excess of €1500 for a two bed apartment seems very attractive to me. :)

Of which over half goes to the revenue.

And if the tenant stops paying it takes over 12 months to get them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Well due to rent pressure zone legislation I will be air BnB Ing my old apartment. Tenants handed in notice last week, had an estate agent around and he said as I was so far below market rent the flat is worth 50k less than others in the block. It's an investor location and apparently not one that attracts first time buyers anymore. I thought I was going to be rid of it after 5 years subsidising it, but no, I have to keep it out of the rental market for 2 years before I can get shot of it debt free. NB not break even, just cover the outstanding mortgage.

No it doesn't it takes 14 days notice to pay arrears failure to do so is followed by x days (depending on stage of part 4) notice of termination.

And do you think it's fair on the people that have to live beside? Have you sought permission from them or the management company?

Why did your tenants leave?
    whatnext wrote: »
    Well due to rent pressure zone legislation I will be air BnB Ing my old apartment. Tenants handed in notice last week, had an estate agent around and he said as I was so far below market rent the flat is worth 50k less than others in the block. It's an investor location and apparently not one that attracts first time buyers anymore. I thought I was going to be rid of it after 5 years subsidising it, but no, I have to keep it out of the rental market for 2 years before I can get shot of it debt free. NB not break even, just cover the outstanding mortgage.

Also I thought DCC ruled last year about 'change of use' is that still happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

And do you think it's fair on the people that have to live beside? Have you sought permission from them or the management company?

Why did your tenants leave?

My friends across the hall from the apartment are going to look after the air bnb for me, and the tenants are leaving because they bought their own house, as they said they were going to when they moved in 5 years ago. I didn't up the rent because they were a nice couple trying to get ahead in life and gave me no unnecessary hassle. There is no issue with the management company. Ironically no one who currently lives in the development ever turns up at the agm's

• Advertisement

Well it's good you have someone next door to keep an eye. Watch out for red lightbulbs in my last building Air BnB was exploited in two of the properties for this purpose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

No it doesn't it takes 14 days notice to pay arrears failure to do so is followed by x days (depending on stage of part 4) notice of termination.

failure to pay rent is 28 days notice. The trouble is what happens after the notice of termination expires, the tenant hasn't left and is not paying rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

amcalester wrote: »

I've gone from long term letting to short term, which is working out very well so far.
    I had not even thought of short term, but there is now so much going against long term letting that short term was the only option.
    I'm glad i made the move so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

whatnext wrote: »
    My friends across the hall from the apartment are going to look after the air bnb for me, and the tenants are leaving because they bought their own house, as they said they were going to when they moved in 5 years ago. I didn't up the rent because they were a nice couple trying to get ahead in life and gave me no unnecessary hassle. There is no issue with the management company. Ironically no one who currently lives in the development ever turns up at the agm's

Most agents will look after airbnb for you now.
    Very reasonable actually. And cleaning is covered by the cleaning fee.
    Also they will use a mixture of airbnb and other sites to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/staycity-targets-300m-turnover-by-2022-and-flotation-1.3108677

"How is Staycity building new apartments when developers everywhere are bemoaning the cost of construction?

"We conform more to hotel regulations", Walsh said. "I would say that if we were trying to wrap our product over standard residential rules, it would be next to impossible [to build]"

In Dublin Staycity expects to bring 650-700 apartments to the short term rental market in the short term. Interesting article given the rental market crisis and inability of developers to make enough money from residental developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I am.going to try airbnb on one property I have in Dublin.
    I was originally going to try it on too but got a great offer I couldn't refuse to sell the other one.

I'll try airbnb for a year and see how it goes. If it's no use I'll sell. But I'm not going back to letting my properties in Ireland, given the new rules and huge downsides risks for no reward anymore.

Airbnb will be starting soon in the unit so I will post how it works out of anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Queen Maeve

To all who have asked me about this issue.
    I got my insurance from <snip>
    I tried everyone else and got rants about airbnb - some phobia that!
    Anyway, i got this done a year ago, no problem and peace of mind.
    Hope that anyone who needs it can see this - best i can do as i haven't time to answer all who ask me individually - and that it helps.
    Good luck!

Mod note: recommendations by PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trixyvix2

Hi Maeve thinking of approaching my landlord re: subletting so wanna have all my ducks in a row beforehand. Could you please pass on the information re: insurance company that covers airbnb.
    many thanks
    Vicky

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Hi, if you are still monitoring this thread, can you pm me the name of the insurer for Airbnb that you use.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is anyone having an issue with people booking as a single person when they are in fact multiple guests? Then this results in an argument over the rate they've booked at and the rate they should be paying. People claiming genuine surprise to find a €50 per night rate is per person and not for a 4-person house...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Getting some weird requests lately
    Hello Marie, My name is xxx and I’m 24 years old. I just recently moved to Irelandand have been staying at my grandmother’s house in Dundrum since. I am looking for a place to stay for a couple of days until I find something more long-term. I have a very little dog, Bobby. He is a chihuahua, almost 11 years old, and is toothless. He likes to eat and sleep and is very quiet due to his age. I am interested in staying at your Airbnb for the 9 days. I don’t have a car, but I have a bicycle. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you, xxxx

Why is that weird?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Is anyone having an issue with people booking as a single person when they are in fact multiple guests? Then this results in an argument over the rate they've booked at and the rate they should be paying. People claiming genuine surprise to find a €50 per night rate is per person and not for a 4-person house...

Check your booking settings. Also maybe put it into text of the add that amount is per person. But when they book for 4 they are told total cost based on the price settings. How would you know there’s more than 1? I guess you meet them? Just put negative review and that will sort them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think its your settings are wrong there. How is there arguments over the rate when in the example here the totally cost would be €200 based on 4 people?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Alkers

The settings are correct, the amount is €50pp and this changes automatically when the number of people are entered. We also have written "€50 per person per night" as the first line in our advert.

We've now had several people make bookings for one person for multiple nights but then turn up with up to three additional people and not expect to pay anything further - very frustrating.

Why is that weird?

Just the toothless dog part. Instantly denied anyway, can't be having fussy people in the house anymore. No women either or Irish

The settings are correct, the amount is €50pp and this changes automatically when the number of people are entered. We also have written "€50 per person per night" as the first line in our advert.

We've now had several people make bookings for one person for multiple nights but then turn up with up to three additional people and not expect to pay anything further - very frustrating.

If you deny them what does airbnb do out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's very saucy of people. I guess there taking a chance that you won't meet them in person.

RasTa wrote: »
    Why is that weird?

Just the toothless dog part. Instantly denied anyway, can't be having fussy people in the house anymore. No women either or Irish
    OKkkkkkkkkkkkkk.....couldnt see the fussy part myself....as for no women or irish.....rightttttttttttttt....maybe you should just ban all people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So update to my AirBnB, during peak season we were seeing 3K for a month which blew our socks off. The apartment is a fairly basic one bed but we've been getting some really nice reviews. The fees are a bummer and the wear and tear is pretty high. All in all I think we'll be up on the deal so to speak but we have to wait to see what we can offset against tax next year. We also need to see what the winter brings in terms of bookings.

Advertisement