Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarlets vs Munster , Sat 3rd Sept 3pm; Sky Sports 1

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Akrasia wrote: »
    Absolutely bucketing down now. Considering the weather that was a decent performance to start the season

You're right, I'm just venting my frustration at not being able to see out a good 2-3 minutes in their 22

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Brilliant result!

The matches prior to Leinster in Dublin are very winnable:
    Cardiff (H), Dragons (A), Edinburgh (H), Zebre (H)

5 wins from 5 going to Dublin is very achievable. Our squad might be stretched when the European games start so a cushion in the league would be great.

Edit: Oops, I thought that was a Munster penalty for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If the referee determines something is "totally unacceptable" why isn't he punishing either player?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Missed the chance of a bonus point. Patchell has had a poor game.

Great result away from home
    Performance was mixed, but we seem better organised defensively and although we had little ball we seemed more of a threat when we did attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If the referee determines something is "totally unacceptable" why isn't he punishing either player?

Because it was just handbags. This is rugby not field hockey

13-23 FT. I look forward to watching the full game back! Considering the players to come back into the team that's an excellent season debut.

BBDBB wrote: »
    Great result away from home
    Performance was mixed, but we seem better organised defensively and although we had little ball we seemed more of a threat when we did attack

I'm pleased for Williams and keatley that they got off to a good start. Hopefully Zebo will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Pros:
    Great defense
    Disrupting opposition lineout
    The scrum
    Very good team try for the first one

Cons:
    Our own lineout, worst part of the game
    maybe kicked position away a few too many times
    3 or 4 too many penalties

Mixed to good performance overall, weather seemed to kill the second half a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd say both teams played pretty poorly for stretches but Munster finished much stronger and Scarlets offered nothing going forward in the 2nd half. Munster have a lot of quality to come back as well.

Scarlets could do with blooding Dan Jones ASAP. That was a backline starring Parkes, Scott and Liam Williams, DTH Van Der Merwe and then Jonathan Davies and Patchell completely failed to use them, looked like Madigan in one of his poorer Leinster performances. If that is how they're going to play this season then they're a lot less dangerous than they look on paper.

• Advertisement

Onto the Connacht game with the only regret being I should have bought more beer earlier

BBDBB wrote: »
    Onto the Connacht game with the only regret being I should have bought more beer earlier

Mistakes are to be expected this early in the season

Really looking forward to this game. Connacht are far from a flash in the pan. They're gonna come out of the blocks fast

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Because it was just handbags. This is rugby not field hockey

Exactly so why say it was "totally unacceptable"?

Mistakes are to be expected this early in the season

Really looking forward to this game. Connacht are far from a flash in the pan. They're gonna come out of the blocks fast

Not to a fella of my vast experience!

It should be a better contest, two good sides in form
    The sun is shining and the black clouds are over the stand - yes folks it's Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

5 wins from 5 going to Dublin is very achievable. Our squad might be stretched when the European games start so a cushion in the league would be great.

Will also be a big help in shifting tickets for our home games, would be great to get a sell out for Glasgow European game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭budhabob

Missed the game, howd Tyler go?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Delighted with the result, very much unexpected. I thought I was optimistic in hoping for a LBP but we weathered the storm in the first 20mins, then scored the next time we got into their 22.

Only real negative for me was Zebo's injury and our lineouts.

I'm not too concerned about our missed tackles but we need to improve on that too.

You could see Zebo react immediately in pain before recycling the ball. It didn't look good. If he's out then Taute might need to play 15 and not centre. I assume his arrival will happen shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

You could see Zebo react immediately in pain before recycling the ball. It didn't look good. If he's out then Taute might need to play 15 and not centre. I assume his arrival will happen shortly.

Conway at fullback with Taute at 13 is also an option.
    We've some real quality ready to come back so Rassie will have a nice selection headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just watched the replay of this on S4C. Scarlets were truly horrendous. Looks for all the world like they've taken their inspiration from Leinster of the season before last, and are struggling to be as effective! Munster didn't have to do very much at all. Saw almost nothing of their attacking game yet they were always comfortable. Scarlets never looked like winning despite having the majority of possession.

Munsters defence was excellent and they played very smart all the way through, but it's very hard to judge when the opposition were so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

molloyjh wrote: »
    Just watched the replay of this on S4C. Scarlets were truly horrendous. Looks for all the world like they've taken their inspiration from Leinster of the season before last, and are struggling to be as effective! Munster didn't have to do very much at all. Saw almost nothing of their attacking game yet they were always comfortable. Scarlets never looked like winning despite having the majority of possession.

Munsters defence was excellent and they played very smart all the way through, but it's very hard to judge when the opposition were so bad.

Thought Scarlets game plan was very obvious which in turn made it easy to defend, Scarlets need to alternate between a few other options than wide, wide, wide to keep the opposition defense guessing, as it is they are allowing the opposition defense rush up without any fear of getting caught out, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Quintis wrote: »
    Thought Scarlets game plan was very obvious which in turn made it easy to defend, Scarlets need to alternate between a few other options than wide, wide, wide to keep the opposition defense guessing, as it is they are allowing the opposition defense rush up without any fear of getting caught out, imo

Exactly. The Welsh commentators thought Scarlets played "superbly" and "with great endeavour" in the opening quarter. All they did was ship the ball from one wing to the other making little to no ground in the process. The "you need to earn the right to go wide" cliche is a cliche for a reason. If you're not fixing defenders in the middle of the park the defensive line can just push across. It's what Leinster have been really guilty of a lot over the last few years.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

molloyjh wrote: »
    Exactly. The Welsh commentators thought Scarlets played "superbly" and "with great endeavour" in the opening quarter. All they did was ship the ball from one wing to the other making little to no ground in the process. The "you need to earn the right to go wide" cliche is a cliche for a reason. If you're not fixing defenders in the middle of the park the defensive line can just push across. It's what Leinster have been really guilty of a lot over the last few years.

Scarlets just lined up across the field and shovelled the ball across and back. When Jon Davies came on he at least looked to fix defenders but the game was up by then. Leinster on friday looked to have better shape at times (hard to be sure from behind the goal and only 10 rows back) but the passing was terrible.

Analysis: Encouraging signs for Munster as Erasmus' men make solid, simple start via The42

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭budhabob

phog wrote: »
    Analysis: Encouraging signs for Munster as Erasmus' men make solid, simple start via The42

Really good analysis as always.

Advertisement