Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Dry Cleaners fire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Where do you work? :eek:

Penneys

Walked by there last night. It's amazing to think that the post office was relatively unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Walked by there last night. It's amazing to think that the post office was relatively unscathed.

Considering it took hold so quickly, it had to be down to the skill of the fire crew? One member interviewed on radio yesterday said, in his 30 years of service he never witnessed any fire to escalate as quickly as that one, possibly due to the amount of cleaning chemicals on the premises.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

possibly due to the amount of cleaning chemicals on the premises.

When I saw some of the videos of the fire crews beginning to tackle the fire, they made me quite nervous. Dry cleaning chemicals especially in big quantities could be in danger of causing an explosion for all we know.

Glad to hear nobody was injured at all.

It's funny, I was walking past it only last week and thought to myself that the building looked like a blast from the past. It's consigned to the past now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Shannon dry cleaners have another premises in Athlone so there is an outside chance your possessions are over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd say it was helped by the fact that the two buildings aren't actually connected - there's a bit of a gap so you'd have two full external walls to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

If you make a claim, to whomever the claim is, make sure to go into as much detail as possible about the items as possible.

The insurance assessors will try to give you what they can get away with, so don't just say "suit", give them brand and dimensions and the fabric it was made from and as much other detail as possible, otherwise you'll just get the price of whatever is cheapest in Pennys.

J o e wrote: »
    I'd say it was helped by the fact that the two buildings aren't actually connected - there's a bit of a gap so you'd have two full external walls to get through.

Are you sure? I know there's a gap between the houses, which thankfully aren't occupied, and the dry cleaners, but there doesn't seem to be any gap at all between that and the post office. I always thought the buildings were connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah there is a bit of a gap - they're not directly connected

396014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Considering it took hold so quickly, it had to be down to the skill of the fire crew? One member interviewed on radio yesterday said, in his 30 years of service he never witnessed any fire to escalate as quickly as that one, possibly due to the amount of cleaning chemicals on the premises.

Ah yes. Those highly flammable chemicals. Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're trying to insinuate something but launderettes are actually quite fire prone.
    There are even cases of clothes spontaneously combusting because of chemicals/oils on them.

So let's leave it for the experts to determine what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

J o e wrote: »
    Yeah there is a bit of a gap - they're not directly connected

396014.png

WOW!! That was quick.

*heads of to the Businesses Reopening thread*

The last 'Great Fire' in the city was the BOI in lower ESquare. Think also McDonagh's had a fire at some stage or other. Could be wrong on both counts. Never heard about their causes though. Anybody know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You're on the case. Report back with whatever the stupid chief has to say.

biko wrote: »
    You're trying to insinuate something but launderettes are actually quite fire prone.
    There are even cases of clothes spontaneously combusting because of chemicals/oils on them.

So let's leave it for the experts to determine what happened.

There is a character in a Dickens' novel who spontaneously combusts. But I never heard of clothes combusting.

Where are these cases you refer to?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

bobbyss wrote: »
    There is a character in a Dickens' novel who spontaneously combusts. But I never heard of clothes combusting.

My parents, in 2010. Went up in flames one night, my mother got woken up by the guards outside while I was away on a youth trip. The oils that can remain in some fabrics can lead to it, in that case the fire brigade were able to pinpoint the bag that had caused the fire.

I hope the staff and owners are alright with everything going on. They'll have insurance, give them a few days to get over everything and organise how it will happen, because with where the fire happened, if they had a computerised system that's potentially gone up in flames too.

if they had a computerised system that's potentially gone up in flames too.

Backup, backup, backup!!!!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well know phenomena. Read all about it. http://www.cultureofsafety.com/safety-tips/spontaneous-combustion-of-oily-rags/

I heard that the windows on the houses across the road were broken with the heat. It must have been intense. Whatever else, nobody was killed or injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

The last 'Great Fire' in the city was the BOI in lower ESquare. Think also McDonagh's had a fire at some stage or other. Could be wrong on both counts. Never heard about their causes though. Anybody know why?

There was a big one in Riverside Park, on the Tuam Road a few years back, Westlink Car Sales and a few others units went up in flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Typically, fire comes from a chemical reaction between oxygen in the atmosphere and some sort of fuel (wood or gasoline, for example). Of course, wood and gasoline don't spontaneously catch on fire just because they're surrounded by oxygen. For the combustion reaction to happen, you have to heat the fuel to its ignition temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You missed reading the newspaper which published a summary of the report into the cause? The free-sheets often don't include things like this.

The Sacre Ceour (spelling schmelling!) fire early this year was substantial.

Typically, fire comes from a chemical reaction between oxygen in the atmosphere and some sort of fuel (wood or gasoline, for example). Of course, wood and gasoline don't spontaneously catch on fire just because they're surrounded by oxygen. For the combustion reaction to happen, you have to heat the fuel to its ignition temperature.

I see.
    Just read an article about human combustion which seems to say that a body which has combusted does not seem to damage anything around it. In other words, only the body is damaged and not surrounding furniture or anything else. This is a very strange phenomenon. As far as I can recall the same thing occurred in the Dickens' novel. People went into a room where somebody combusted, maybe just the ashes remaining but the room itself was intact. This is as far as I can remember anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I hope the staff and owners are alright with everything going on. They'll have insurance, give them a few days to get over everything and organise how it will happen, because with where the fire happened, if they had a computerised system that's potentially gone up in flames too.

I wonder how insurance works in these instances. What's to stop someone who left in a dress bought in Dunnes in 2010 worth 50 euro saying it was actually bought last year abroad and worth 500 euro?
    It's not as if everyone will be able to produce purchase receipts for clothing.

I wonder how insurance works in these instances. What's to stop someone who left in a dress bought in Dunnes in 2010 worth 50 euro saying it was actually bought last year abroad and worth 500 euro?

I'm sure the insurance companies are well wide to that lark and have systems in place to cover it.

Even before the fire, a lot of the stuff left in there was actually cleaned in Athlone. Can you imagine if someone tried to pull a fast one and the actual garment was produced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm sure the insurance companies are well wide to that lark and have systems in place to cover it.

Even before the fire, a lot of the stuff left in there was actually cleaned in Athlone. Can you imagine if someone tried to pull a fast one and the actual garment was produced :D

Ha! I'm the kind of people who pull those stunts would be able to go "oh THAT dress from Dunnes, ho ho, wonder where I left my Gucci then..." :)

I guess you're right, there has to be something in place or they'd be vulnerable to a lot of rip merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

They might ask for proof of purchase or photos. If it was a wedding dress usually there would be hundreds of photos available, and normally the shop could provide proof of purchase if you don't have a receipt, especially if you paid with cheque or via credit/debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seimispook

I don't really have time to mull over there thread, but have they ruled out any maliciousness?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

seimispook wrote: »
    I don't really have time to mull over there thread, but have they ruled out any maliciousness?

Why, is there a lot of arson about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

seimispook wrote: »

It's not even 5 pages :confused:

Advertisement